• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Post drug suspension GT win...

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Was Basso's win in the Giro the first win of a GT by a rider that had served a drug related suspension previously? Or is it more common?

A

Anonymous

Sean Kelly tested positive on 1984, and then again at the 1988 Tour of Basque country.

He served a suspension of 1 month in 84 (Ephedrine - claimed to be mechanics urine), No suspension in 1988 for Codiene (claimed to be in cough medicine) but was warned he would get one month if he did it again.

He then went on to win the Vuelta in 1988

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Was Basso's win in the Giro the first win of a GT by a rider that had served a drug related suspension previously? Or is it more common?

since i've been watching bike racing it's the only time, as i recall. vino also had atypical results for a rider coming back from a two-year ban. the only other cyclist i can think of who regained his previous stature after a two-year ban is richard virenque.

ed rader

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
As already posted, Merckx definitely takes the cake on this one. But, in more recent years:

-Simoni was ejected from the '02 Giro for coke, then won the race in '03

-Pedro Delgado had a few confirmed--as well as covered-up--positives around his GT victories (but didn't return triumphantly from a suspension, I don't think; older guys feel free to correct me, though...)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
erader said:
since i've been watching bike racing it's the only time, as i recall. vino also had atypical results for a rider coming back from a two-year ban. the only other cyclist i can think of who regained his previous stature after a two-year ban is richard virenque.

ed rader

Ed - just a clarification on Virenque.

He was only suspended for 6 and a half months, and in those days suspensions started on February 1st.
So he was not competing for 'just' 10 months.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
As already posted, Merckx definitely takes the cake on this one. But, in more recent years:

-Simoni was ejected from the '02 Giro for coke, then won the race in '03

-Pedro Delgado had a few confirmed--as well as covered-up--positives around his GT victories (but didn't return triumphantly from a suspension, I don't think; older guys feel free to correct me, though...)

Delgado tested positive in the 1988 Tour when he was in the yellow jersey for probenecid, a substance that was forbidden by IOC but not by UCI, so he was not suspended.

TRENDING THREADS