• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Postal Positives

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Just noticed that Steffen Kjaergaard from 2000/2001, currently the director of the norwegian national team, has stated publicly that "I didn't notice anything, and I must've been bloody naive if this is true", when confronted with the Landis e-mail. Given the fact that Frankie Andreu, Tyler Hamilton, Benoit Joachim, Kevin Livingston, Cedric Vasseur and Roberto Heras tested positive, I must say that his naiveté must've lasted for too long a period if the Landis' allegations re Armstrong was what finally opened his eyes.
I just don't believe him for a second. Either his uptake is veeeery slow, or he's lying. Either case not what you'd characterize as flattering and endearing qualities.

Contrast his last statements with what he stated in 2000: http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/2000/jan00/jan6news.shtml

Steffen Kjaergaard, who will ride for US Postal this year, also rode for TVM some years ago and he is suffering from the doping discussion. "I feel the suspicions, even from people that are quite close," he told "Verldens Gang". Old buddies in Tønsberg (his home town) won't talk to me about it, but approach my girlfriend instead."

Kjaergaard feels the Dutch confessions, and comments from Pedersen and others as a burden: "If I'm doing well people start asking questions about doping and the problems around it. On the other hand it's in many ways positive for me that it's brought into the light now, which will favor clean cyclists. I belong to a generation of professional cyclists that will have to take this **** and we undoubtedly will have to live with it for years to come."

Kjaergaard made his pro debut for TVM in 1996 and had two seasons without any success. In 1998 he rode for the Danish amateur squad, Team Chicky World which became professional in 1999. During that year, Kjaergaard rose from 324th to 117th on the UCI rankings in a couple of months due to good performances of the team in minor races, the best performance being the victory in cat. 2.4 Circuit de la Sarthe.

However, burden or not Kjaergaard will continue his pro career, that he already broken once, after the TVM years: "You have to be tough when it comes to doping substances, and the reason that nobody offers me any is that I have clearly stated that I am against doping." But Kjaergaard also admits that if he wanted, he could get hold of banned substances without any problems.

Guess he's an interesting guy to prod real hard. Unless he has forgotten everything I bet he has stories to tell.

hektoren said:
Just noticed that Steffen Kjaergaard from 2000/2001, currently the director of the norwegian national team, has stated publicly that "I didn't notice anything, and I must've been bloody naive if this is true", when confronted with the Landis e-mail. Given the fact that Frankie Andreu, Tyler Hamilton, Benoit Joachim, Kevin Livingston, Cedric Vasseur and Roberto Heras tested positive, I must say that his naiveté must've lasted for too long a period if the Landis' allegations re Armstrong was what finally opened his eyes.
I just don't believe him for a second. Either his uptake is veeeery slow, or he's lying. Either case not what you'd characterize as flattering and endearing qualities.

Contrast his last statements with what he stated in 2000: http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/2000/jan00/jan6news.shtml

Steffen Kjaergaard, who will ride for US Postal this year, also rode for TVM some years ago and he is suffering from the doping discussion. "I feel the suspicions, even from people that are quite close," he told "Verldens Gang". Old buddies in Tønsberg (his home town) won't talk to me about it, but approach my girlfriend instead."

Kjaergaard feels the Dutch confessions, and comments from Pedersen and others as a burden: "If I'm doing well people start asking questions about doping and the problems around it. On the other hand it's in many ways positive for me that it's brought into the light now, which will favor clean cyclists. I belong to a generation of professional cyclists that will have to take this **** and we undoubtedly will have to live with it for years to come."

Kjaergaard made his pro debut for TVM in 1996 and had two seasons without any success. In 1998 he rode for the Danish amateur squad, Team Chicky World which became professional in 1999. During that year, Kjaergaard rose from 324th to 117th on the UCI rankings in a couple of months due to good performances of the team in minor races, the best performance being the victory in cat. 2.4 Circuit de la Sarthe.

However, burden or not Kjaergaard will continue his pro career, that he already broken once, after the TVM years: "You have to be tough when it comes to doping substances, and the reason that nobody offers me any is that I have clearly stated that I am against doping." But Kjaergaard also admits that if he wanted, he could get hold of banned substances without any problems.

Guess he's an interesting guy to prod real hard. Unless he has forgotten everything I bet he has stories to tell.

Only Hamilton, Joachim, and Heras were declared positive for doping. Andreau admitted that he doped, but never tested positive. Vasseur was caught up in the Cofidis thing, but he was not convicted (for lack of a better term), and Livingston never tested positive, nor has he ever publicly admitted to using PEDs on record.

OTOH, both Beltran and Landis did test positive.

A

Anonymous

hektoren said:

Hmm interesting that hes gone from "i am anti doping but if i wanted to i could get it easy enough" to "if there was doping going on i never knew about it"

very contrary couple of statements..

Lists done.. a lot of red on there..

A

Anonymous

lists done.. the 99 and 2003 squads are like dopers paridises

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Hmm interesting that hes gone from "i am anti doping but if i wanted to i could get it easy enough" to "if there was doping going on i never knew about it"

very contrary couple of statements..

Lists done.. a lot of red on there..

If you look a bit further down on the page I linked to, there's a quote from Hein Verbruggen that kinda predates more recent comments from Our Big Leader, mr. Pat:

Verbruggen takes a dim view

Hein Verbruggen, president of the UCI has criticised Rooks and co. for their recent confessions, especially as they were made years after the fact. Verbruggen believed that they would have a negative impact on aspiring cyclists, and commented that this "cannot bring any good and it makes those riding clean feel guilty. They are giving the impression that doping practices were structured in their teams.

"A rider is the first one responsible of his doping. They could have said: no to doping. About these three riders, another Dutch rider told me that if they were ethical they would return the prizes they won thanks to doping".

He does hold optimism that the current hematocrit "controls" are working, and that the attitude is changing within the peloton. However, there is still a long way to go, as evidenced by the current trials in Italy.

10 years ago, and what has happened since? Nada, zilch, eff-all, nowt, nothing. UCI leadership past and present show with all needed clarity that they're not the men for the job. Bring on the Feds! Go Novitzky!

A

Anonymous

i cannot find a single thing linking Victor Hugo Pena to doping, despite riding for unibet, phonak, rock, postal and being boteros mate..

i refuse to beleive there isnt something thats been either forgotten or covered up. If he was clean he had some mighty dodgy friends

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
A

Anonymous

Neworld said:
About GH.

No published positive, but...in the 2005 TdF G. Hincapie won stage 15. You might want to review the stage that this non-climber decisively won.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/tour05/?id=results/tour0515

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2005//tour05/graphics/profile15.gif

Even the most biased fan(s) wondered at that time how big George won such a stage. I think this is as close to a positive for GH we have from his Postal/Disco days.

NW

oh yes, that was the thank you present from lance wasnt it.. maybe he got some of lances very special help

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Long Live the King

The list of doped domestiques that were working FOR Lance is not NEARLY as IMPRESSIVE as the doped TdF DangerMen and their doped domestiques that were working AGAINST Lance.

Doped Basso and his doped domestiques at CSC
Doped Ullich and his doped domestiques at T-Mob
Doped Pantani and his doped domestiques at Mercatone Uno
Doped Zulle and his doped domestiques at Banesto
Doped Beloki and his doped domestiques at Once
Doped Escartin and his doped domestiques at Kelme
Doped Rumsas and his doped domestiques at Lampre
Doped Vino and his doped domestiques at Telekom
Doped Piero & Floyd and their doped domestiques at Phonak
Doped Heras & Botero and their doped domestiques at Kelme
Doped Mayo and his doped domestiques at Euskaltel
Clean Evans and his doped domestiques at Lotto
Doped Hamilton & Sastre and their doped domestiques at CSC
Doped Olano & Jalabert and their doped domestiques at Once
Doped Rasmussen and his doped domestiques at Rabobank
Doped Garzelli, Doped Kloden, Mancebo and Menchov.
Doped Zubeldia, Doped Boogerd, Doped Virenque, Sevilla, Millar, Dufaux Casero

Yes, Dope can turn Donkeys into Thoroughbreds, But Lance made sure no donkeys made it to the Top Podium Step.

And there were Top Quality Doped DangerMen in addition to the Doped Donkeys.

But Lance Vanquished them ALL - Year after Year after Year after Year after Year after Year after Year.

Lance was AWESOME. You know its TRUE. It is a FACT:)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
i cannot find a single thing linking Victor Hugo Pena to doping, despite riding for unibet, phonak, rock, postal and being boteros mate..

i refuse to beleive there isnt something thats been either forgotten or covered up. If he was clean he had some mighty dodgy friends

From memory, I recall something about VH Pena in 2001. It may have been a 50% HCT violation. If I get time I will do some digging.

A

Anonymous

Dr. Maserati said:
From memory, I recall something about VH Pena in 2001. It may have been a 50% HCT violation. If I get time I will do some digging.

thanks.. its bugging me how he kept off the radar.. :D I get a prize from the wife if i can turn one of the squads all red.

Did VHP not fail a test in the Tour of Columbia or something like that. I know that Botero was linked to OP and cleared by the Columbian fed, I seem to recall something along the lines that a whole bunch of riders failed tests but were cleared in 'unusual circumstances'

Sorry that was Hernan Buenahora.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Plenty of anecdotal evidence about Ekimov and what he did in the off season on his trips back to Russia

Alan Davis - Operation Puerto
Vladimir Gusev - 'suspicious' blood values
Fuyu Li - positive test
Egoi Martinez - rode for Euskaltel, a team fingered for systematic doping
Sergio Paulhino - OP

You probably have all these anyway ;)

Polish said:
The list of doped domestiques that were working FOR Lance is not NEARLY as IMPRESSIVE as the doped TdF DangerMen and their doped domestiques that were working AGAINST Lance.

Doped Basso and his doped domestiques at CSC
Doped Ullich and his doped domestiques at T-Mob
Doped Pantani and his doped domestiques at Mercatone Uno
Doped Zulle and his doped domestiques at Banesto
Doped Beloki and his doped domestiques at Once
Doped Escartin and his doped domestiques at Kelme
Doped Rumsas and his doped domestiques at Lampre
Doped Vino and his doped domestiques at Telekom
Doped Piero & Floyd and their doped domestiques at Phonak
Doped Heras & Botero and their doped domestiques at Kelme
Doped Mayo and his doped domestiques at Euskaltel
Clean Evans and his doped domestiques at Lotto
Doped Hamilton & Sastre and their doped domestiques at CSC
Doped Olano & Jalabert and their doped domestiques at Once
Doped Rasmussen and his doped domestiques at Rabobank
Doped Garzelli, Doped Kloden, Mancebo and Menchov.
Doped Zubeldia, Doped Boogerd, Doped Virenque, Sevilla, Millar, Dufaux Casero

Yes, Dope can turn Donkeys into Thoroughbreds, But Lance made sure no donkeys made it to the Top Podium Step.

And there were Top Quality Doped DangerMen in addition to the Doped Donkeys.

But Lance Vanquished them ALL - Year after Year after Year after Year after Year after Year after Year.

Lance was AWESOME. You know its TRUE. It is a FACT:)
LOL.

Sore thumb, anyone?

I don't think it's correct to say everyone was accused of using actovegin for the 2000 Tour. Frankie rode clean and was reprimanded for not being a strong rider that Tour. I know he wasn't the only one either. I'm being careful with what I say so keep that in mind.

May 5, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
oh yes, that was the thank you present from lance wasnt it.. maybe he got some of lances very special help

I think Lance could be regretting not letting George have the yellow jersey for a day in last years TDF. If Lance gave him that present George may be more inclined to keep quiet

A

Anonymous

elizab said:
I don't think it's correct to say everyone was accused of using actovegin for the 2000 Tour. Frankie rode clean and was reprimanded for not being a strong rider that Tour. I know he wasn't the only one either. I'm being careful with what I say so keep that in mind.

thanks for that.. i was going on fairly old internet reports on something that wasnt that well covered anyway because it wasnt technically banned.. most of it was speculation..edited accordingly

I was going to start a Thread about Victor Hugo Peña in here, but since there is already a discussion here I'll pith in.

No, he never tested positive in La Vuelta a Colombia.

Some comments that I have about him are the following:

1- The Issoisso explanation about riding the Giro with Vitalicio Seguros and being 10th on the final GC. That's point against him.

2- He was kicked out of the team after 2003 for notoriously being weak in the third week of the Tour. Armstrong made that comment. Point in his favor.

3- He was gifted early in his life when he was a swimmer (Just saying). point in his favor.

The book also describes the rider's amateur and early professional career.

He earned his nickname "El Tiburon" due to his looks and to the sport he was good at apart from cycling, swimming. Peña was 7th in the 100 meter freestyle Pan American swimming championships for juniors in 1991

As for his relation with teams being dirty, that would cover the whole humanity. ;)