• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Power Passport and other beasts.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
From the plethora of ideas following yesterdays' Froome's extraterrestrial "vrooom" this one looks at least doable, but... would it achieve something? Certainly, it's interesting to know real data in any case.

But most likely this would have an effect of the current biopass (=dope all year round, no peaks). We can easily imagine Froome will show his peak of 6+ W/kg, coming from the spring 5.5 W/kg. And? What happens?

Nothing. Nobody can set any limit, no human/alien borderline, Brailsfraud will continue uttering his "marginal gains" and "special training" mantras, so in the end this may even confirm their position: See? 6 W/kg is possible clean! Beat this!

Opinions? Any other ideas?

Here is my thoughts summed up in an image.

prgression_zpsfa8dd52a.jpg

Between peaks, and troughs, injuries and hitting form, it is simply impossible to create a passport style analysis for an athletes power (or in this case VDot for a middle aged hobby jogger).

Blood peaks and trough are evidence of manipulation.
A bad day, riding with a low grade virus affected you ? Those troughs are trivial to excuse, and that makes seeing a peak that much harder.

A shift from 5w/Kg to 6W/kg almost overnight. You don't need a passport to flag that as odd.

Initially wanted to ignore this but since so many did I'm going to pile on. This is a terrible idea. Anti-doping theater. No way you can put teeth on this. Plus just a pain for riders. And a useless waste of money.

I'm turning around on a making power data public idea though. You'd have to have include truly draconian punishments for tampering.