Power retrospective, TdF 2006, Stage 17

Apr 20, 2009
56
0
0
Here are the power values, per Allen Lim of Floyd Landis on the day:
Col des Saises: 36 min 55 sec at 395 watts (gains time on field)
·Col des Aravis: 16 min 49 sec at 371 watts (loses time on field)
·Col de la Colombiere: 27 min 45 sec at 392 watts (gains time on field)
·Cote de Chatillon: 11 min 7 sec at 374 watts (loses time on field)
· Col de Joux Plane: 37 min 34 sec at 372 watts (loses time on field)

At Landis' stated weight of 68 kilos that gives the following power to weight ratios:
Col des Saises: 36 min 55 sec at 395 watts 5.81W/kg
Col des Aravis: 16 min 49 sec at 371 watts 5.46W/kg
Col de la Colombiere: 27 min 45 sec at 392 watts 5.76W/kg
Cote de Chatillon: 11 min 7 sec at 374 watts 5.5W/kg
Col de Joux Plane: 37 min 34 sec at 372 watts 5.47W/kg

Vaughters stated via twitter:
Here's Chris Froome's TT at Vuelta last year: http://teamsky.cyclingnews.com/tech-news/trai … (via @TrainingPeaks) That's 406W at 5.8W/kg. Not unexpected,not unusual

How are we, as fans to interpret these power numbers? Unless Dr. Lim has artificially deflated the power values or Floyd's weight was not reported accurately. Sure the bio passport can keep a cap on the variations in blood parameters - but wouldn't the recuperative therapies simply allow riders to maintain their performances day by day, even if still limited by physiology to the 'not unexpected' 5.8W/kilo?
 
Mar 18, 2009
14,634
0
0
drfunk000 said:
Here are the power values, per Allen Lim of Floyd Landis on the day:
Col des Saises: 36 min 55 sec at 395 watts (gains time on field)
·Col des Aravis: 16 min 49 sec at 371 watts (loses time on field)
·Col de la Colombiere: 27 min 45 sec at 392 watts (gains time on field)
·Cote de Chatillon: 11 min 7 sec at 374 watts (loses time on field)
· Col de Joux Plane: 37 min 34 sec at 372 watts (loses time on field)

At Landis' stated weight of 68 kilos that gives the following power to weight ratios:
Col des Saises: 36 min 55 sec at 395 watts 5.81W/kg
Col des Aravis: 16 min 49 sec at 371 watts 5.46W/kg
Col de la Colombiere: 27 min 45 sec at 392 watts 5.76W/kg
Cote de Chatillon: 11 min 7 sec at 374 watts 5.5W/kg
Col de Joux Plane: 37 min 34 sec at 372 watts 5.47W/kg
Power levels were down. The obvious conclusion must be that he was clean and the sport has become dirtier since 2006.

:)
 
Jul 25, 2011
157
0
0
BroDeal said:
Power levels were down. The obvious conclusion must be that he was clean and the sport has become dirtier since 2006.

:)
Just because it's in the 5 area doesn't mean they're down, he road like 2h20 around 5.6w/kg just on the cols????? Those are massive numbers! :eek::eek:
 
Mar 18, 2009
14,634
0
0
wannab said:
Just because it's in the 5 area doesn't mean they're down, he road like 2h20 around 5.6w/kg just on the cols????? Those are massive numbers! :eek::eek:
I only get 2 hours and eight minutes at 7% below the mythical 6.0 W/kg FTP. I am sure it can all be explained by weight loss and a few marginal gains. Those marginal gains may have been stuck to his scrotum for a bit too long, but he also had a homemade altitude tent so he would not have to go to Tenerife.
 
Jul 25, 2011
157
0
0
drfunk000 said:
How are we, as fans to interpret these power numbers? Unless Dr. Lim has artificially deflated the power values or Floyd's weight was not reported accurately. Sure the bio passport can keep a cap on the variations in blood parameters - but wouldn't the recuperative therapies simply allow riders to maintain their performances day by day, even if still limited by physiology to the 'not unexpected' 5.8W/kilo?
Floyd rode over 2h at around 5.6w just on the mountains ......
Froome's 5.8w was around FTP (sustainable power for 1h)

if anything, i'd say it's looking better now
 
Mar 18, 2009
14,634
0
0
wannab said:
Floyd rode over 2h at around 5.6w just on the mountains ......
Froome's 5.8w was around FTP (sustainable power for 1h)

if anything, i'd say it's looking better now
Froome is no Landis. Few are.

Froome could ride faster if he was not being held back by Wigans.
 
I know that there are a lot of elite riders that read and contribute to these forums.

These are the guys that likely know what putting out anything approaching 400 watts is like for any length of time. Anyone that has completed an MVO2 test can reflect on where they hit the red line.

Independent of the W/kg number, 400 watts is just a lot of watts. Even for Clydesdales.

The reason the W/kg is interesting is that lighter riders can have higher strength/power to weight ratios. But, smaller riders have lower power outputs!

Froome's numbers the other day, depending on the source, were approaching or exceeding 500 watts.

Not even Eddy Merckx (~455), Chris Boardman (~440), Rominger, etc. could pull that off. Only Miguel Indurain (508) is known to have posted that kind of output for an extended duration.

Two questions:

1. Is Froome stronger than Big Mig?

2. When is Froome going to go for the Hour?

Dave.
 
Jul 25, 2011
157
0
0
D-Queued said:
Froome's numbers the other day, depending on the source, were approaching or exceeding 500 watts.
I've heard these numbers, but the question is for how long they were sustained

D-Queued said:
1. Is Froome stronger than Big Mig?
2. When is Froome going to go for the Hour?
1) If he is, it's the second coming of Merckx, be prepared next years
2) I'd say when he consistently keeps out-TT'ing Cancellara/Martin
 
Jul 25, 2011
157
0
0
BroDeal said:
Froome is no Landis. Few are.

Froome could ride faster if he was not being held back by Wigans.
the 5.8w was TT at vuelta, all-out probably

given the above numbers I think landis was at least 6w/kg, we also know he was jacked :rolleyes:
 
Jul 12, 2012
649
0
0
D-Queued said:
I know that there are a lot of elite riders that read and contribute to these forums.

These are the guys that likely know what putting out anything approaching 400 watts is like for any length of time. Anyone that has completed an MVO2 test can reflect on where they hit the red line.

Independent of the W/kg number, 400 watts is just a lot of watts. Even for Clydesdales.

The reason the W/kg is interesting is that lighter riders can have higher strength/power to weight ratios. But, smaller riders have lower power outputs!

Froome's numbers the other day, depending on the source, were approaching or exceeding 500 watts.

Not even Eddy Merckx (~455), Chris Boardman (~440), Rominger, etc. could pull that off. Only Miguel Indurain (508) is known to have posted that kind of output for an extended duration.

Two questions:

1. Is Froome stronger than Big Mig?

2. When is Froome going to go for the Hour?

Dave.
Who said Miguel Indurain was clean?

Regarding Landis, it was his time on Alpe d'Huez (38' 34") that was suspect to me. Did Lim ever report those power numbers?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
masking_agent The Clinic 0

ASK THE COMMUNITY