• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

PowerTap Wheel Choice

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
My wife has a Look 585 with Erus wheels. She is also getting coaching with CTS and wants to get a powermeter. After much discussion, we decided that the SRM and Quark CinQo were too expensive and the iBike too unreliable. We settled on PowerTap (PT). The PT hub cannot be used with Erus wheels. What would you recommend as a good training (and maybe racing) wheel to be used with a PT hub? We are thinking either Mavic Open Pro or DT Swiss RR 2.1. Any other ideas or preferences?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Both of those choices would be good, however if you go for the DT get the double eyelet version. Personally I'd go with a Kinlin Niobium 30, there around the same weight but are slightly deeper therefore a little stiffer.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I currently have a PowerTap laced to a Velocity Deep V (32-hole w/CX-Ray spokes). I have almost 2000 miles on them and have had no problems whatsoever. They are good-riding and rock-solid.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
My wife has a Look 585 with Erus wheels. She is also getting coaching with CTS and wants to get a powermeter. After much discussion, we decided that the SRM and Quark CinQo were too expensive and the iBike too unreliable. We settled on PowerTap (PT). The PT hub cannot be used with Erus wheels. What would you recommend as a good training (and maybe racing) wheel to be used with a PT hub? We are thinking either Mavic Open Pro or DT Swiss RR 2.1. Any other ideas or preferences?

2.1 is a heavy rim. DT 1.1, dbl eyelet(way better than the OpenPro) or Velocity Aerohead OC..and a good wheelbuilder, of course. Spoke number based on your wife's riding style and needs.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure you made a decision by now, but for anyone else reading after the fact...

I went DT Swiss RR 1.2 with mine. I weigh 180lbs and roads around here are not that smooth. No issues in over 2000 miles.

Looks great with the slightly deeper section. At some point i will post some pics of my ride to my profile; there was only so much time to avoid work today :D