• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pre La Vuelta-thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kwiatkowski one tried to go for the GC and it was at 2013 Tour. He almost got 10th and was white for a quite long time, but he lost his top 10 spot to Navarro after a breakaway on stage 19 if my memory is correct. Also, i think he will be more focused on the WC. However, i also remember there was a minor hype for JJ Cobo before 2011's Vuelta and i myself thought he would have a lower top 10. The same was for Hesjedal before Giro 2012 so i guess anything can happen.

If there's no clear favourite, then it'll be similar to 2010 Vuelta with this time Peio Bilbao either crashing out or doing a Simon Yates and Nibali will win in the end while showing nothing, because he's one hell of a lucky bastard (2010, 2016, i'm excluding 2014 because then he was probably in the form of his life). Majka (if he rides) will get 3rd place, while being glued to someone's wheels.

railxmig said:
However, i also remember there was a minor hype for JJ Cobo before 2011's Vuelta and i myself thought he would have a lower top 10.

This statement made me decide to look back at the "Who will win the 2011 Vuelta" thread here? (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14920)

A few people indeed had Cobo in their pre-race top tens (jens_attacks had him highest, at 5th).

It was also interesting to see that Anton was the overwhelming favourite, followed by Nibali and Menchov.

shalgo said:
railxmig said:
However, i also remember there was a minor hype for JJ Cobo before 2011's Vuelta and i myself thought he would have a lower top 10.

This statement made me decide to look back at the "Who will win the 2011 Vuelta" thread here? (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14920)

A few people indeed had Cobo in their pre-race top tens (jens_attacks had him highest, at 5th).

It was also interesting to see that Anton was the overwhelming favourite, followed by Nibali and Menchov.

Any mention of Christopher Froome in that thread? Hahahahahahahahahaha :eek: