• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pre Tour de France-thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
King Of The Wolds said:
Everything I've seen and heard would suggest Sky's team will be Froome, Thomas, Poels, Bernal, Castroviejo, Kwiato, Moscon and van Baarle. I'd be surprised if it's anything else. Goes without saying really, but it's scary strong, with all bases covered, especially if Kwiato and Moscon can get back into their 2017 TdF and Vuelta form, respectively, in the period between the Dauphine and the Tour.
Agree, this seems the most likely option, I think only Rowe instead of Van Baarle could be an option, but Van Baarle is the better rider.

Valv.Piti said:
King Of The Wolds said:
Everything I've seen and heard would suggest Sky's team will be Froome, Thomas, Poels, Bernal, Castroviejo, Kwiato, Moscon and van Baarle. I'd be surprised if it's anything else. Goes without saying really, but it's scary strong, with all bases covered, especially if Kwiato and Moscon can get back into their 2017 TdF and Vuelta form, respectively, in the period between the Dauphine and the Tour.
Agree, this seems the most likely option, I think only Rowe instead of Van Baarle could be an option, but Van Baarle is the better rider.

I think the cobbles speak against Bernal getting a shot this year.

He is a shoe in for the Vuelta though

Broccolidwarf said:
Valv.Piti said:
King Of The Wolds said:

I think the cobbles speak against Bernal getting a shot this year.

He is a shoe in for the Vuelta though
Not only the cobbles, also the whole first week with TTT and nervous wind stages.

King Of The Wolds said:
There's no chance Rowe doesn't make the team.

If Bernal is going to be in the team, why is he not out riding in the Alps with Froome, Thomas, Poels and Kwiatkowski at the moment? The man's never ridden with Froome before, surely they'd get together.

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
Parker said:
King Of The Wolds said:

If Bernal is going to be in the team, why is he not out riding in the Alps with Froome, Thomas, Poels and Kwiatkowski at the moment? The man's never ridden with Froome before, surely they'd get together.

This season I expected much more from Van Baarle but I believe Sky will choose him instead of Rowe, it is a difficult choice, and this year can be really important because of the cobbled stage.

I don't believe they bring both once they have Moscon that is an impressive rider that can do all types of works.

Parker said:
King Of The Wolds said:

Unless he's not back at his best after his accident last year.

RedheadDane said:
Parker said:
King Of The Wolds said:

Many would say he looked in better shape than van Baarle in the spring. Rowe has done the last three Tours for Sky and van Baarle has never ridden with Froome. With one fewer rider this year, they'll go with tried and trusted riders.

Parker said:
RedheadDane said:
Parker said:
King Of The Wolds said:

Many would say he looked in better shape than van Baarle in the spring. Rowe has done the last three Tours for Sky and van Baarle has never ridden with Froome. With one fewer rider this year, they'll go with tried and trusted riders.

They were together in the Ruta del Sol race

CTQ said:
Parker said:
RedheadDane said:
Parker said:
King Of The Wolds said:

They were together in the Ruta del Sol race
That's true. I still don't expect them to dispense with their road captain for no good reason though.

King Of The Wolds said:

The Tour is over.

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Aubisque descent heavily damaged following thunderstorms.

Stage 19 could be modified if the authorities think they won't be able to repair the road in time.

There has been several precedents these past few years:

- In 2017, there has been a similar event on the col d'Agnes (stage 13) with a damaged road. They managed to repair it in less than a month, allowing the race to take the usual route.
- In 2016, there were concerns regarding possible landslides on the col de la Ramaz (stage 20). For safety, col de la Ramaz has been removed from the Etape du Tour amateur event, but the route was unchanged for the Tour - however the Caravane had to avoid it.
- In 2015, a huge landslide above the Tunnel du Chambon (stage 20) damaged the structure of the tunnel and made it unsuitable for the race. After several inspections, it was too dangerous for the safety of the riders, and even later, they realized they had to dig an entire new tunnel to replace the old one, which would take 18 months - and had also to create an additional road on the other side of the lac du Chambon. As a result for theT Tour, the col du Galibier had to be replaced by the col de la Croix-de-Fer.
- In 2013, thunderstorms destroyed roads on the col du Tourmalet (not planned for this year) and in the Garonne valley between Saint-Béat and Bagnères-de-Luchon, threatening to remove the col de Menté from the route. But the damage was lower than expected, and after repairs and cleaning, the route was kept as is.
- In 2008, a huge risk of crumblings on the col de Larche forced ASO to take another route three months before the race: they had to move the start city from Digne-les-Bains to Embrun, and take the col Agnel for the first time in its history.