• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Predatory Bird Alert!

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
For those in the Nor-cal and central-cal locations of the US there is a danger of losing pets to predatory birds. This time of year birds are moving south along the pacific fly-way. While training for the Leipheimer Grand Fondo a large Raven attacked a small chihuahua which was running down the roads near Elkhorn Slough. Luckily I was there to save the helpless dog. The raven flew off about 50 feet and landed in a field. It waited for me to leave.

I saw about 8 red tail hawks on the ground in the area. Also great blue herons.
Watch your kittens pugs and other small dogs. Be advised.

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
A big red tailed hawk would weigh not more than 3.5 lbs.... a pug 7 or 8 minimum, and would put up a hell of a fight. Here in the MidWest I see dozens of hawks and today a couple of bald eagles, never have I seen one (hawk or eagle) attack a fox or dog. Eagles mostly eat fish or road kill. Herons, egrets only eat aquatic prey.

I have seen ravens and magpies dive bomb dogs and cats but then they do the same to hawks. But ever once in a while I see the hawk flip upside-down and catch a crow or raven and then they quit the fun and games when they see the hawk tear one of their bro's to pieces.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
And he I am being pounded by Magpies trying to remove my helmet then I see a huge Wedge tail Eagle hovering over me .

S!!!T that thing was big enough to carry me off to his nest.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
And he I am being pounded by Magpies trying to remove my helmet then I see a huge Wedge tail Eagle hovering over me .

S!!!T that thing was big enough to carry me off to his nest.
LOL
gandalf.jpg

I'll never go riding where you guys live !!

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
flicker it's 8:30 pm. Time to take the blue pill.

I am not kidding the raven was chasing the chihuahua. I almost fell off my bike laughing. Also a friend was sunbathing in Big Sur and a Peregrine Falcon swooped in and latched onto his chest with its talons.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
I am not kidding the raven was chasing the chihuahua. I almost fell off my bike laughing. Also a friend was sunbathing in Big Sur and a Peregrine Falcon swooped in and latched onto his chest with its talons.

Dirty Harry lives around there he will take care of any stray birds

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:

Sounds like the worst purple nurple ever.

Every Autumn, 1000's and 1000's of crows gather in the wooded area by my work. It's always uneasy walking to my car with a murder of crows watching.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
A friend of mine lives in West Chicago, IL in very wooded area. A couple of years a go, they got a toy chihuahua. My friend's wife took the dog out for a nighttime potty break before bed.

As she's watching the dog do her thing, an owl came out of the darkness, grabbed the dog, and started flying off. My friend's wife started yelling, chased after the owl and then threw the flashlight she had. Fortunately, the owl dropped the dog. They had to take the dog to the emergency vet to get the wounds stitched up made by the owl's talons.

The dog will now not go out after dark, and uses a litter box if she needs a potty break.

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I have been attacked by a buzzard on a number of times, twice it has injured my head with its talons was out last Sunday and it gave me a low fly past, it happens on a single track road near my home in Perthshire, its been a couple of years since the first attack, I thought the bird would have moved on but it hase'nt