• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Predict before the Alps... who will get 3rd?

Who will be in 3rd on the podium in Paris?

• Kim Kirchen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
These are the current standings/times of who I think are the top 10 guys likely to share the podium what what's-his-name and you-know-who.

Who of these do you think is most likely to end up in 3rd?

4 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana 0:00:54
5 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Astana
6 Tony Martin (Ger) Team Columbia - HTC 0:01:00
7 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Garmin - Slipstream 0:01:01
8 Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin - Slipstream 0:01:24
9 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:01:49
12 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:02:25
15 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:02:52
17 Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence - Lotto 0:03:07
19 Kim Kirchen (Lux) Team Columbia - HTC 0:03:31

Ninety5rpm said:
These are the current standings/times of who I think are the top 10 guys likely to share the podium what what's-his-name and you-know-who.

Who of these do you think is most likely to end up in 3rd?

4 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana 0:00:54
5 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Astana
6 Tony Martin (Ger) Team Columbia - HTC 0:01:00
7 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Garmin - Slipstream 0:01:01
8 Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin - Slipstream 0:01:24
9 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:01:49
12 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:02:25
15 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:02:52
17 Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence - Lotto 0:03:07
19 Kim Kirchen (Lux) Team Columbia - HTC 0:03:31
My option is not up there. LA won't make the podium. He is wearing himself out more that he used to to during 2001-2005 plus he is older. Sorry, I know you love Lance but it is not going to happen. I see LL and Kloden stronger than him. Kloden don't have a chance either because he is wearing himself out also. Look out for LL.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I think Wiggins will, IF HE CAN SURVIVE THE VERBIER! He can TT as well, if not better than the rest and Levi will end up blowing his own chances on Ventoux helping Lance try and pull back Contador.

Ninety5rpm said:
Huh. 36% (so far) are going with Levi.
Three still believe in Cadel's chances? Wow.

I think Evans will surprise in the final week. Poor guy got a raw deal in the TTT, but he'll come out firing in the Alps and ITT.

But my pick for third is the Schlecklet. Maybe Evans would be a better choice, but whatevs: I picked Andy way back in June and I'll stand by it.

mr. tibbs said:
I think Evans will surprise in the final week. Poor guy got a raw deal in the TTT, but he'll come out firing in the Alps and ITT.

But my pick for third is the Schlecklet. Maybe Evans would be a better choice, but whatevs: I picked Andy way back in June and I'll stand by it.
You think Evans is going to make up more than two minutes on Leipheimer in the Alps and the ITT?

Andy has a minute less to makeup, and is more likely to do it in the mountains, but he'll probably lose several minutes in the TT to LL.

Either is certainly possible. We'll see.

Ninety5rpm said:
You think Evans is going to make up more than two minutes on Leipheimer in the Alps and the ITT?

Andy has a minute less to makeup, and is more likely to do it in the mountains, but he'll probably lose several minutes in the TT to LL.

Either is certainly possible. We'll see.

I don't see Andy picking up any time in the mountains since that would require him to drop both Contador and Armstrong. I could see him maybe riding one off his wheel, I can't see him riding both. Same for Evans. The only person I see with an outside chance is Sastre.

A

Anonymous

any particular reason why contador or LA arent an option.. personally i was going to go for one of them...

how can there be a poll with riders missing..?

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
any particular reason why contador or LA arent an option.. personally i was going to go for one of them...

I agree, might be more interesting if we could find a way to pick the postion that the current top ten will be in Paris

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

+1....

My (albeit bold) prediction:
1. AC
2. Evans
3. Andy
4. LA

...... I hope I am right! :D

dimspace said:

The assumption in this poll is that is AC/LA or LA/AC will be 1-2.
Given that assumption, who will be 3rd?
That assumptions allows for 10 choices.

In retrospect, "Other" would probably have been a better choice for #10 than Kim Kirchen, for whom no one has voted anyway.
But everyone else has gotten at least one vote already.

Cobber said:
+1....

My (albeit bold) prediction:
1. AC
2. Evans
3. Andy
4. LA

...... I hope I am right! :D

That was my original top three before the Tour started! So I like it, and will agree. :D

I'm not a huge fan of any of them (Kloden partisan, here), but am sincerely hoping that it DOES shake out this way, b/c that would mean that Evans and Schleck threw a few haymakers in the Alps.

EDIT: Astana is strong, but they're not strong enough to control the group of favorites in the mountains without expending Kloden & Leipheimer. Whatever his current ambitions, Leipheimer will probably end up sacrificing minutes by working for Contador & Armstrong. Maybe.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
EDIT: Astana is strong, but they're not strong enough to control the group of favorites in the mountains without expending Kloden & Leipheimer. Whatever his current ambitions, Leipheimer will probably end up sacrificing minutes by working for Contador & Armstrong. Maybe.

I think both Kloden and Levi will give up minutes. I think they will keep it fair since the world has been told that Vino is coming back and LA and the hog are out. And they don't know who is writting their paycheck next year. They are not going alienate themselves to either potential boss.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Not original but judging by who has actually been willing to try to win so far

1 Alberto Contador
2 Cadel Evans
3 Andy Schleck
4 Carlos Sastre
5 Andreas Kloden (unless he gets sacrificed for Lance)

re: ninety5rpm, because there wasn't a real race in the Pyrennes

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
My option is not up there. LA won't make the podium. He is wearing himself out more that he used to to during 2001-2005 plus he is older. Sorry, I know you love Lance but it is not going to happen. I see LL and Kloden stronger than him. Kloden don't have a chance either because he is wearing himself out also. Look out for LL.
[/I]

I have to laugh when I read posts like this. Lance is wearing himself out?? Based upon what evidence? Weren't you one of the hateboyz that were predicting he would be gone last week..I think you were!!

Just kidding, I know you are just trying to be funny because if you were being serious that would make you really dumb. If you are going to make off the wall speculative comments you really should start them of with: "in my uninformed opinion and given that I have no way of knowing the truth about what I am about to say, I think....":D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
They were that strong in the Pyrenees. Why not the Alps?

No one has put down a serious attack. You'll learn more when Schleck, Sastre and Evans start firing their real bullets and not blanks.

LL and Kloden will blow up neutralising these attacks. They'll be way down on GC come the Champs Elysees.

Schleck Jnr 2nd/3rd for me, depending on your bias :D

unsheath said:
No one has put down a serious attack. You'll learn more when Schleck, Sastre and Evans start firing their real bullets and not blanks.

LL and Kloden will blow up neutralising these attacks. They'll be way down on GC come the Champs Elysees.
I just don't see those guys attacking much, or LL/AK blowing up trying to catch them. We'll see.

And even if Schleck manages to gain some time, he will lose time to these guys in the ITT.

Bagster said:
[/I]

I have to laugh when I read posts like this. Lance is wearing himself out?? Based upon what evidence? Weren't you one of the hateboyz that were predicting he would be gone last week..I think you were!!
You are wrong. I am not one of those hateboyz. I have said that I believe that he doped but that does not mean that I am a hateboy. So I ask for some respect here. :mad:

Just kidding, I know you are just trying to be funny because if you were being serious that would make you really dumb. If you are going to make off the wall speculative comments you really should start them of with: "in my uninformed opinion and given that I have no way of knowing the truth about what I am about to say, I think....":D
Remember that this is a Forum and it is all about speculation. So I don't have to start sentences with "in my un-informed opinion ..."

I see Levi stronger than Armstrong. If I am wrong after the Tour you can come back to me and tell me I told you so. OK? I have seen Armstrong doing more work at the front than he used to. Plus he is not the same young stud that he used to be. That is my perception from the tapes I have watched. Now, the only problem is that mountains have not been that hard either, so one compensates the other. BTW, I have watched all tours that Lance have won since 2000. Did not have the tape for 1999. And followed the tour closely for the last 26 years.

Look at badboyberty post. I like his result. Why don't you go ask him why he does not put Armstrong in front. Some other people may share the same views as I do. I like his picks. I'd just change Kloden for LL. But either way is fine with me.

Again, I am not interested in any conflicts with any of the other forists, so let's keep a civilized discussion. :mad:
Thanks

Note: I just saw the finish of the stage and LL and Evans fell down. I guess if they keep falling down I have to change those picks. I guess that is just racing.

TRENDING THREADS