• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Predict the 2011 TdF podium

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Soler is quoted as saying that since he's won the KOM jersey at the Tour, his goal this year is to gain the yellow. This was from a CN article on his performance at the Tour de San Luis (sp). I think it may have been from early this week or late last week. I'm not certain though if he's simply hoping to wear the leader's jersey at some point or is seriously going for the overall. Also I don't know how closely his personal goals correspond with what the team might be seriously aiming for.

Pf, I didn't even think of Soler. I would have thought he'd have a case to make before getting handed Tour leadership/protection. Going for the KOM jersey again would seem like a more appropriate goal, IMO.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
Soler is quoted as saying that since he's won the KOM jersey at the Tour, his goal this year is to gain the yellow. This was from a CN article on his performance at the Tour de San Luis (sp). I think it may have been from early this week or late last week. I'm not certain though if he's simply hoping to wear the leader's jersey at some point or is seriously going for the overall. Also I don't know how closely his personal goals correspond with what the team might be seriously aiming for.

So many years have passed since 2007. I wish he was better with handling his bike :( I can't wait to see him in the tour again.

EDIT: Yes, he's going for the overall, crazy :)
"I want to arrive to the Tour de France in very good condition. In order to prepare, I will compete in a lot of mountain stage races like this. Winning the climber’s jersey at the Tour de France was important but I would like to win the overall. The best opportunity and fortune would be to win the overall. But it is always good to be able to win any jersey.”

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
If Contador:
1. Contador
2. Andy Schleck
3. Basso

No Contador, with Geox
1. A Schleck
2. Basso
3. Menchov

No Contador, no Geox
1. A Schleck
2. Basso
3. Gesink

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
Pf, I didn't even think of Soler. I would have thought he'd have a case to make before getting handed Tour leadership/protection. Going for the KOM jersey again would seem like a more appropriate goal, IMO.

I'd like to see Soler going for the polka-dot.

Last year was disappointint. with the mountains competition. No offense to Charteau, but he's not at the level of Pellizotti, Kohl/Sastre, Soler, or Rasmussen. You felt those guys had the ability to climb with the heads of state (or in the case of Kohl/Sastre... were in the heads of state).

Charteau... not so much.

I really hope Prudhomme is reading this thread and decides to invite Geox.

A. Schleck
Basso
Menchov

But I'd like to see VDB, VDV, or even Wiggins in third. Or maybe Nibs, if he were riding for Lampre instead of Liquigas.

It's sad when you have just as many possible eligibility scenarios as podium spots, so I'm going to have to make a few here:

With all main contenders:
1. AC
2. AS
3. Menchov

Without Contador:
1. AS
2. Menchov - with a high possibility of winning
3. Sam Sanchez

Without Menchov and without Contador:
1. AS
2. Sam Sanchez
3. Frank Schleck

I also would choose Riccardo Ricco for a podium spot if he will be in the TDF. I think he could get into the podium without Contador and may have a shot at taking down Andy as well.

I think 2nd and 3rd are going to be wide open this year with atleast 5-7 possibilities.

I also want to note that I don't feel that I can accurately rate Basso as I haven't seen enough of him.

NickRooz

BANNED
Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
naah, Jurgen is better then Gesink

How so? Just because he finished 5th and Gesink 7th?

I think Gesink has a brighter future ahead of him because he is younger and VDB wasnt as good when he was Gesink's age. I actually thing VDB is a lousy cyclist who, as he is Belgian, is a stupid and dumb cyclist aswell.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
NickRooz said:

I think Gesink has a brighter future ahead of him because he is younger and VDB wasnt as good when he was Gesink's age. I actually thing VDB is a lousy cyclist who, as he is Belgian, is a stupid and dumb cyclist aswell.

I was a-kidding :p ****ing of fanboys is fun :p and we can only compare them based on last year's Tour. I'd say they're at the same level right now.

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Andy will win with or without Contador.
And let's say Basso and Samy will fight for podium places, even though I think Cadel will do a great job this year too.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how ASO will get rid of Basso in order for Andy to win without any risk.

1 time trial, no prologue, no Contador, no Menchov, no Sastre, etc

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I wonder how ASO will get rid of Basso in order for Andy to win without any risk.

Exactly. The stars seem to be aligning for Schleck...

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

Well, getting rid of Basso himself would be a little obvious. How about a last-minute suspension for a couple of teammates on passport-irregularities? The closer to the race, the better.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
he came 6th actually, or 5th if you discount another nasty little Spaniard.
EDITED:)
NickRooz said:

Well some riders develop later in their career...

TRENDING THREADS