• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Predict the Giro-Tour-Vuelta wildcards! (2nd edition)

I made a thread about this last year and I felt like doing it again this year.
Next year every GT will still send out 4 wildcards. But with the teams now having 8 riders we'll hopefully get a more interesting Tour de France.
Nobody was able to succesfully guess all the right teams last year but perhaps somebody will manage to do it this year.
With a number of new french and spanish PCT teams appearing, the Vuelta and Tour de France will have a hard time deciding their picks.

The Giro on the other hand also faces some difficult decisions, Androni is certain to be there since they won the Ciclismo cup (yes Savio is back, baby! :D ) but what with Bardiani? And will Nippo be excluded for a third year in a row? Most likely since Willier has a promising talent in Mareckzbo and Israel Cycling Academy seem certain about their invite. Gazprom-Rusvelo and CCC could also go for another Giro Invite, so that leaves us with 6 teams battling for 3 spots. Or if we believe what ICA is writing 5 teams battling it out for 2 Giro wildcards.

The Tour will most likely have to choose between Wanty and Vital concept, a team with a possible future Tour de France winner and an attacking/entertaining mentality or a team with a french sprinter that has come close before in the sprint stages.

Most open will be the Vuelta, with Burgos-BH and the new Basque team we have 2 new spanish PCT teams, although I don't think the latter has possible stage winners. Add in Manzana, Aqua Blue, direct energie and Delko and you have four teams that level in quality. Caja and Cofidis should ofcourse be certain.

My guess:
Giro: Androni-Israel Cycling Academy-Bardiani-Willier
Tour: Cofidis-Direct Energie-Fortuneo-Wanty Groupe Gobert (although this may be the belgian in me speaking)
Vuelta: Cofidis-Caja Rural-Burgos-Aqua Blue

*** the quick said:
Giro: Androni, ICA, Nippo, Wilier
Tour: Cofidis, Direct Energie, Delko, Vital Concept
Vuelta: Burgos, Cofidis, Caja Rural, Euskadi

you forgot Fortuneo-Oscaro got a sure wild-card when they signed Barguil.

Vital Concep and Wanty (Guillaume Martin) will fight for the 4th WC. Delko no way

Giro: Androni, Israel, Wilier, AquaBlue
Tour: Cofidis, DirectEN, Fortuneo-Oscaro, Wanty
Vuelta: Burgos, Murias-Euskadi, Caja Rural, Cofidis

GenericBoonenFan said:
The Tour will most likely have to choose between Wanty and Vital concept, a team with a possible future Tour de France winner and an attacking/entertaining mentality or a team with a french sprinter that has come close before in the sprint stages.

???

Guillaume Martin has some talent, but this is stretching it a bit far dont you think :p?

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Giro: Androni, Wilier, Israel Cycling Academy, Gazprom
Tour: Direct Energie, Cofidis, Fortuneo, Vital Concep
Vuelta: Caja Rural, Cofidis, Burgos BH, Murias-Euskadi
I picked Gazprom because they seem to ave a ton of Money, Colnago bikes and Locatelli as their new Ds.
The only thing that could save Bardiani would be Cipo using his influence to get his bikes a iro wildcard.

Re:

Inquitus said:
What about Aqua Blue? surely they will get at least one GT wildcard after their excellent 1st season? Surely they are in with a shot of the Giro or the Tour?

If they got a Giro invite it would be astonishing. Teams from outside traditional cycling countries have to build relationships with (or in some cases simply pay) race organisers if they want wildcards. The two most common paths are "kiss the ass of the ASO" and "kiss the ass of the RCS". Israel Cycling Academy, CCC and Gazprom are all in category 2. Aquablue is very much in category 1. They got next to nothing out of RCS this year in terms of invites.

If Aquablue get a wildcard it will be to the Tour or Vuelta. On performances in major races they clearly merit an invite to one or the other, but with a resurgence of French and Spanish PCT teams it's possible that won't be enough. My guess is that they will get a Vuelta invite, but they have some chance of the Tour and some chance of nothing.

Giro: Androni, ICA, Willier, Nippo Vantini.
Tour: Fortuneo, Cofidis, Direct Energy, Vital Concept
Vuelta: Caja Rural, Burgos BH, Murias Euskadi, Cofidis

Reasons:

If Androni is not picked this year Savio might actually follow up on his threat of retiring. In addition they did win the Ciclismo Cup and to be bypassed as winners would be against all traditions. If the start in Israel will be upheld then ICA will be there. Although normally very weak they did sign some interesting riders for an instance Ben Hermans, Sondre Holst Enger and Ruben Plaza. In my opinion they can offer as much as the other wild card candidates this year.

Cunegos announcement of retiring is more or less the only reason why I hope and believe Nippo will be there. If Japan as a future Giro-start is still in the picture Nippos ties to Japan could be a secondary reason. Willier has Marecko and that will sadly be enough. Last year they stroke me as the weakest of all teams in the Giro. Vegni seems to have a preference for them - I dont.

Gazproms money will be difficult to say no to. Perhaps it is more wishfull thinking that they wont be there. CCC has had an overhaul squadwise and among others lost Jan Hirt. There relative succes at last years Giro was made by him. No reason to give them a spot this year. Then again unless Poland is next stop for foreign starts. Bardianis doping scandals will keep them away this year.

Although Wanty would want to be there at the beginning with a stage to Liege and everything - I just dont see instead of who?

Direct Energi (Calmejane)
Vital Concept (Coquard)
Fortuneo (Barguil)
Cofidis (Bouhanni)

The Vuelta should favor the three spanish teams and the last spot will probably go to Cofidis. Strong relations to the Vuelta matter more than Aqua Blue Sports succes this year with a stage win.

All in all I see the Giro as the most unpredictable. I really hope Androni will be there but Vegni "warned" the other day there could be a surprise considering the startlist. Normally I would think it was either trolling or related to Froome. However with Vegni I wouldnt be surprised if it meant dumping Savio and Androni ret again.

Giro: Androni - Israel Cycling Academy - Willier - Nippo

Androni will be there since they won the Coppa Italia. ICA is almost sure to make the start. That leaves us with just two spots. Willier has Mareczko, who will give the team presence in flattish stages. Nippo has a horrible team bar Canola, but it will be Cunego farewell race so I am assuming they will give him the chance to be there for a final Giro. I think RCS will leave Bardiani out due to last year incident with Pirazzi and Ruffoni and Gazprom does not seem too confident to get a wild-card. I think CCC is out of the question for 2018.

Tour: Fortuneo - Cofidis - Direct Energie - Vital Concept

I hope to get it wrong, because Vital Concept has such a horrible team... but I don't see Le Tour leaving Coquard out. I would rather see Wanty instead.

Vuelta: Cofidis, Caja Rural, Murias, Delko.

I think there will be only one of the two new spanish PCT in La Vuelta, which could be Murias. Delko has been PCT for two years and never received a WC. I think they deserve it. Plus, they have a few spanish riders (Madrazo, Delio Fernandez and Javi Moreno).

The competition is much harder this year for entrying in each GT.

Giro: Androni, ICA, Gazprom, Wilier
Androni and ICA are certain. Bardiani has no chance after this years scandal and RCS prefers Wilier over Nippo. Gazprom makes more sense than a weakened CCC.
Tour: ASO will want to see Barguil, Bouhanni, Calmejane and Coquard. So obvious Fortuneo, Cofidis, Direct Energie, Vital Concept wildcards.
Vuelta: crazy competition with Caja and Cofidis certain and the new PCTs, Delko, Manzana, AquaBlue and Wanty competing for the other two. Murias is too weak and Delko missed out this year with a French start, so I'm inclined to rule them out, and Wanty will focus on the Tour. So Caja, Cofidis, Burgos, AquaBlue.

Re:

yaco said:
Impossible to see the new two PCT teams obtaining a start at the Vuelta in 2018 - They will need to build up a palmares, though I can definitely see one being on the start line.

Its not immediately obvious to me why some people are assuming that the ASO will be more protective of Spanish PCT teams than they are of French ones, or than RCS are of Italian ones. It's a big advantage to be from a country that hosts a GT, but the recent record does not suggest that organisers feel obliged to bring every domestic squad, no matter how much those teams want a place.

Both new teams obviously have a much stronger chance of wildcards than new teams of similar strength from somewhere else. But it's certainly not a foregone conclusion, particularly not in the case of Murias. There is really only a sentimental rather than a sporting argument for taking a team so weak.

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Orodreth said:
Euskadi-Murias will be in La Vuelta and that was confirmed for several months.

http://www.elcorreo.com/bizkaia/deportes/ciclismo/vuelta-espana/201705/16/euskadi-murias-estara-vuelta-20170516130325.html

Ya tenemos la confirmación de Javier Guillén, responsable de la Vuelta, de que estaremos en su prueba la próxima temporada. Y también estaremos en la Vuelta al País Vasco y en la Clásica de San Sebastián», ha confirmado Odriozola"

That confirms that the team manager claims that the Vuelta organisers confirmed to them that they will get a wildcard. Teams have not however always been reliable in such claims. Or am I getting it garbled by Google Translate?

Still though, it certainly makes it look more likely that they will get an invite. Which would presumably mean that Burgos - as a stronger looking team - will get one too.

Giro: Androni, ICA, Nippo (Cunego bye), Wilier (Mareczko)
Tour: Cofidis(Bouhanni), Direct Energie(Calmejane), Vital Concept(Coquard), Fortuneo(Barguil), next year GD in Brussels they can invite some belgian again
Vuelta: Murias, Caja Rural, Cofidis, leaving 4th option, for CCC probably

the choice became so narrow because many cyclists go to a division under, due to shortening of team size
UCI should allow one or two more WC for next season. this woild still make a shorter peloton that they had last season

Giro:
- Androni as cup winners
- Israel Cycling Academy due to start location
- Wilier because they have a "project" (and Mareczko would've won 2 stages this year if it weren't for Gaviria)
- Gazprom for the money (Bardiani to be punished)

Tour:
- Cofidis
- Direct Energie
- Fortuneo
- Wanty

Reasons to pick Wanty over Vital Concept:
1) Martin is a valid candidate for the white jersey, whereas Coquard is not the main French green jersey candidate anymore after Demare's performance this year.
2) Most Vital Concept riders will struggle to make the time cut in the mountains. Finishing in Paris with only 3 or 4 riders is not good for ASO either.
3) This year, Wanty was at occasions the only team to send riders up the road on flat stages. Who will go in the breakaway if Wanty isn't there? Not Vital Concept as they are a sprinting squad. If there is no breakaway, average speed will drop and some stages may finish (too) late. Not good for several reasons.

Vuelta:
1) Cofidis
2) Caja Rural
3) Euskadi
4) Burgos

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Orodreth said:
Euskadi-Murias will be in La Vuelta and that was confirmed for several months.

http://www.elcorreo.com/bizkaia/deportes/ciclismo/vuelta-espana/201705/16/euskadi-murias-estara-vuelta-20170516130325.html

Ya tenemos la confirmación de Javier Guillén, responsable de la Vuelta, de que estaremos en su prueba la próxima temporada. Y también estaremos en la Vuelta al País Vasco y en la Clásica de San Sebastián», ha confirmado Odriozola"

That confirms that the team manager claims that the Vuelta organisers confirmed to them that they will get a wildcard. Teams have not however always been reliable in such claims. Or am I getting it garbled by Google Translate?

Still though, it certainly makes it look more likely that they will get an invite. Which would presumably mean that Burgos - as a stronger looking team - will get one too.

Yes, that's right.

Giro wild cards should have been announced this week, but there´s a delay.

Vegni is having a hard time deciding, and I fear there will be surprises. I´ve heard "Androni are lucky they won the Italian Cup last year" (that gives a Giro wild card)
Israel Cycling Academy is sure

Gazprom, Aquablue, Nippo, Wilier for 2 wild cards, I dont think Bardiani has any chance