• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Predict the Giro-Tour-Vuelta wildcards

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Roku said:
Manzana Postobon riding the Vuelta would be shameful... what could they offer? An anonymous top-35 with Vilela in GC and top-15/top-20 placings in flat sprints with Bol? Breakaways where colombian riders would be the first to be left behind?

Giro: Androni, Nippo, Bardiani, Willier (though i would love Gazprom taking the spot of any italian team, they deserve it)

Tour: Cofidis, Direct Energie, Fortuneo and Wanty

Vuelta: Cofidis, Direct Energie, Caja Rural and Gazprom/Delko (i would not be surprised if Delko got the last wild-card, especially if Gazprom goes to the Giro)
I'm ok with Postobon not riding the Vuelta, but the have a few great prospects like Aguirre and Reyes (and to a llesser extend Suaza) and they also have Juan Sebastian Molano, a young talented sprinter who has aready beaten Lobato on European soil, they wouldn't be that bad.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
It would be an absolute disgrace not selecting Androni for Il Giro again. With a Torres in monster shape + Bernal, Gavazzi, Taliani, Vigano, Palini, Cattaneo and maybe Benfatto they can send a great team!

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Mayomaniac said:
Roku said:
Manzana Postobon riding the Vuelta would be shameful... what could they offer? An anonymous top-35 with Vilela in GC and top-15/top-20 placings in flat sprints with Bol? Breakaways where colombian riders would be the first to be left behind?

Giro: Androni, Nippo, Bardiani, Willier (though i would love Gazprom taking the spot of any italian team, they deserve it)

Vuelta: Cofidis, Direct Energie, Caja Rural and Gazprom/Delko (i would not be surprised if Delko got the last wild-card, especially if Gazprom goes to the Giro)
I'm ok with Postobon not riding the Vuelta, but the have a few great prospects like Aguirre and Reyes (and to a llesser extend Suaza) and they also have Juan Sebastian Molano, a young talented sprinter who has aready beaten Lobato on European soil, they wouldn't be that bad.

I don't think you should send Manzana to La Vuelta at this point. Aguirre, Reyes, Molano, Suaza and Higuita are great prospects for the future, but they are not ready yet to compete in a GT.

Just let them ride some bigger European races like Coppi et Bartali, Trentino, Burgos and maybe Tirreno. But the step from domestic races/U23 races and some smaller Spanish races to La Vuelta in a couple of months is just too high and quick.

Arredondo said:
Mayomaniac said:
Roku said:

I don't think you should send Manzana to La Vuelta at this point. Aguirre, Reyes, Molano, Suaza and Higuita are great prospects for the future, but they are not ready yet to compete in a GT.

Just let them ride some bigger European races like Coppi et Bartali, Trentino, Burgos and maybe Tirreno. But the step from domestic races/U23 races and some smaller Spanish races to La Vuelta in a couple of months is just too high and quick.

I don't think it really is. The Vuelta is the GT with the least overall level by far - if you are in form, you will get a couple of shots.
I really hope they get a wildcard!

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Valv.Piti said:
Arredondo said:
Mayomaniac said:
Roku said:

I don't think it really is. The Vuelta is the GT with the least overall level by far - if you are in form, you will get a couple of shots.
I really hope they get a wildcard!

Don't underestimate La Vuelta. For sure, the level in the Tour and Giro is a tad higher, but you have to be really good to make an impact, especially winning a stage. Look at the Caja Rural squad: great team with riders with a lot of experience, but it still shows its really difficult to win something.

Guys like Reyes and Aguirre, and especially Aguirre, still don't have the stamina and power to hold enough energy to deliver on a MT finish after 150 hard races flat/hilly km's. Look at Hugh Carthy this year. Totally invisible this year's Vuelta, despite the fact he already rode extremely well in a WT stage race like Catalunya.

You're talking about guys who haven't even raced in a WT race at all.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

jens_attacks said:
Arredondo said:
It would be an absolute disgrace not selecting Androni for Il Giro again. With a Torres in monster shape + Bernal, Gavazzi, Taliani, Vigano, Palini, Cattaneo and maybe Benfatto they can send a great team!

Savio told me they will be there.

Good news! Finally some enlightenment around there. Thx!

TRENDING THREADS