• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Predict the yellow jersey progression

Heres mine (just a little bit of fun)

Stage 1 : Tony Martin - Tony will win time-trial narrowly from Tom Dumoulin
Stage 3 : Tom Dumoulin - Only 1 second behind T Martin, Dumoulin will gap him on Huy, and although Valverde will pick up stage he wasnt quite close enough to take the Jersey
Stage 4: Fabian Cancellara - not to far behind on the prologue and not fare back on the stage 3, Cancellara powers away on the cobbles finishing in a small group to narrowly take the jersey which he holds to stage 8
Stage 8 Valverde not having lost too much on the cobbles with the time bonus takes the Jersey which he holds until stage 12
Stage 12 Froome Having taken time on Valverde on the stage 10, Froome finally takes the Jersey which he holds for the rest of the race.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Stage 1 - Tom Dumoulin
Stage 2 - Crosswinds -Peter Sagan
Stage 3 - Purito
Stage 4 - Stybar
Stage 5/6/ - Matthews
Stage 7 - Gallopin
Stage - 8 - Dan Martin
Stage 9 - Valverde
Stage 10/11 - Quintana
Stage 12 /13 -Contador
Stage 14 15 16 Nibali
Stage 17 + Chris Froome

i like the sound of that, not so much who wins, but the constant changing nature.

I want to have the opportunity to enjoy the view of Gallopin's girlfriend
I hope he wins the yellow,again,even just for a day :D

my progression
1-Martin
2-some french guy eager to impress (Gallopin)
4 (pavè)-Nibali
first mountain - Contador
------
Paris - Contador

Re: Re:

qwer said:
TMP402 said:
1. Martin
4. Degenkolb
8. Kwiatkowski
11. Bardet
12. Contador
17-21. Froome
froome gains time in col d'allos? no way, froome isn't a good downhill rider

That's a myth. Look at the descent to Gap in 2013, for two reasons. Firstly none of the group of 10 elite climbers gaps him on the descent, and secondly when he follows Contador off the road, he is able to recover much better than Contador, and eventually descends (with Porte's help) back to the group of favourites.

As for this specific stage itself, look at the Dauphine stage that was identical: firstly Froome was strong that day and he will have added experience of how to pace himself up the final climb (which he didn't get quite right at the Dauphine), but secondly, before that Sky had whittled down the pack, and got rid of Nibali, Valverde, Costa (and this is before they went on a breakaway so it cannot be excused as fatigue), and then rode defensively on the descent but I would think they could have closed the gap to Bardet had they needed to. In any case, I don't think Froome would necessarily have to win this stage to take yellow. I think he will be stronger on the cobbles than people expect, I think there's something seriously wrong with him if he doesn't take advantage of stage 1, no matter how technical it is, and I think he will be stronger than the other three at winning the bonus seconds. I can see him taking yellow from a tiring Contador in the final few stages, so this is as good a stage as any for it to happen.

Great thread. Hopefully it'll be something like what HelloDolly posted.

It's sad that the neutered queen stage is likely to have as little impact on the overall as everyone posting here thinks it will. Maybe there will be a podium shuffling, with Pinot falling off or something like that, but I doubt the top step will change.

So who's the favourite to take the yellow jersey in Huy after first TT?

Dumoulin has a 25 seconds on guys like Gesink and Thomas so he looks strong. Sagan will be strong for the stage win and bonuses might jump him over Gesink/Thomas duo.

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Finn84 said:
So who's the favourite to take the yellow jersey in Huy after first TT?

Dumoulin has a 25 seconds on guys like Gesink and Thomas so he looks strong. Sagan will be strong for the stage win and bonuses might jump him over Gesink/Thomas duo.

Agree that Dumoulin is in a good position to take yellow. Sagan is probably a bit too far behind Dumoulin. I would also add Kelderman and Cancellara to the mix. Kelderman is 22s behind Dumoulin, seems to be in great shape and came 10th in FW this year. Cancellara will want to do a good Huy so he can be in strinking position for yellow on stage 4. If Canc can power up short steep climbs in Tour de Flanders, I think he wont be too bad on Huy - not winning but maybe 10-20 place. And who knows, maybe Rohan will surprise us, after all he has 8 seconds on Dumoulin.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Surely Dennis holds onto yellow up the mur ? He's the strongest climber out of the first 8 riders, Kelderman being 9th but also 30 seconds back.

TRENDING THREADS