• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Prediction Game

SEASON IS OVER! OVERALL GC WINNER: 180MMCRANK!! THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR PLAYING!

Updates: WC Standings have been updated!

1.a) Intro:
Welcome to our first improvised CN-forums 2009 cycling pool! Our season will begin and end in Italy - with the Milan-San Remo and the Giro di Lombardia classics! The aim of the game is to accumulate as many points as possible throughout the season by correctly predicting the winners of various events.

2.a) Schedule:

CN 2009 Season:

1day races:
Milan San Remo <- [Winner: Cavendish]
Ronde van Vlaanderen <- [Winner: Devolder]
Paris Roubaix <- [Winner: Boonen]
Amstel Gold Race <- [Winner: Ivanov]
Fleche Wallonne <- [Winner: Rebellin]
Liege Bastogne Liege <- [Winner: A. Schleck]
San Sebastian <- [Winner: Barredo]
Giro di Lombardia <- [Winner:Gilbert]

Minor Tours:
Dauphine Libere <- [Winner:Valverde]

Grand Tours:
Giro d'Italia <- [Winner: Menchov]
Tour de France <- [Winner:Contador]
Vuelta a Espana <- [Winner:Valverde]

World Championships <- [Winner:Evans]

2.b) Rider Selections: Final selections must be submitted no later than 24 hours before the start time of the current race. Selections are to be sent via Private Message on the forums to Merckx.

3. Points and Rankings:

a) For each individual stage or single day classic:
- the participant must submit a prediction for the top 5 finishers. (ie: pick 5 riders)

Selections are to be sent (via private message to Merckx) while adhering to the following format:
- riders: ( Rider 1, Rider 2, Rider 3, Rider 4, Rider 5 )

- 10 points are awarded for predicting the correct winner.
- 3 points are awarded for each correct rider in the top 5 finishers list. (Regardless of order)
- 3 additional points are awarded for each rider placed in the correct order.
- 30 additional points are awarded if all 5 riders are predicted (in the correct order).

b) For Stage Races:
Note:
For stage race/grand tour "jersey" selections, participants will get the opportunity to make "two" (2) selections for each category. IE: 2 choices for overall GC winner; 2 choices for overall KOM classification; 2 choices for overall Points classification; 2 choices for overall Young Rider classification.

- You will only pick one (1) team for the overall Team Classification.

Prior to the start of the stage race, the participant must:
- predict the overall GC winner: 15 points
- predict the final KOM winner: 10 points
- predict the final points winner: 10 points
- predict the final young rider: 10 points
- predict the best team: 8 points

c) For Grand Tours:
Prior to the start of the stage race, the participant must:
- predict the overall GC winner: 30 points
- predict the final KOM winner: 20 points
- predict the final points winner: 20 points
- predict the final young rider: 20 points
- predict the best team: 15 points

For stage races, specific stages will be targeted beforehand.

4. a) Rankings After Giro Di Lombardia:

finalft.png

b) Clarifications:
- Points leader = Yellow Jersey
- Win leader = Green Jersey
- Streak leader = polka dot jersey

- A Win point is awarded to a participant if he correctly predicts the winner of a stage/event/race.
- A Streak point is awarded for each race in which a participant scores more than 9 race points.

Sounds reasonable enough to me. Good to have you on board! Logging off for the night, but if anyone else is interested please leave your suggestions, will check back tomorrow =)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
FFWally said:
Im in...

Start with Paris Roubaix end with the Worlds

Say:
8 single day races
4 Minor Tours
3 Major Tours
Worlds

And miss the Race of the Falling Leaves:eek:

On this schedules, I'd say start with Milan San Remo, and go:

8 Classics:
Milan San Remo
Flanders
Paris Roubaix
Fleche Wallone
Liege Bastogne Liege
San Sebastian
Paris Tours
Giro Lombardia

Minor Tours:
Dauphine Libere
Tour of Roumandie
Tour of Ireland
Tour of Missouri

Grand Tours:

Guess.

World Championships

I also think we should have graduated points awards down to tenth for riders and only the top three for teams. Pick two or three riders, depending on the race and away we go!

I was thinking about the points. What about something like this:

For each stage/single day classic:
- predict the top 5 finishers. (In order)
- predict the top team.

- 3 points are awarded for each correct rider in the top 5 list. (Regardless of order)
- 3 additionalpoints are awarded for each rider in the correct order.
- 15 points are awarded if all 5 riders are predicted (in the right order)
- 10 points are awarded for predicting the correct winner

For Stage Races:

- predict the overall GC winner (before the start of stage1): 10 points
- predict the final KOM winner: 8 points
- predict the final points winner: 8 points
- predict the final young rider: 8 points
- predict the best team: 5 points

For yesterday's stage (as an example):

I would have picked:
5 riders: Voeckler, Feillu, Dumoulin, Haussler, Renshaw
1 team: Cervelo (your team does not necessarily have to match your predicted winner)

Now looking at yesterdays results:

1 Jérémy Roy (Fra) Française Des Jeux 4.58.47 (40.966 km/h)
2 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) BBox Bouygues Telecom
3 Tony Martin (Ger) Team Columbia - Highroad 0.03
4 Heinrich Haussler (Ger) Cervélo TestTeam 2.33
5 Murilo Fischer (Bra) Liquigas

- I would receive 6 points for predicting 2 of the riders in the top 5. (Regardless of order)
- I would further receive 3 points for predicting Haussler finishing in 4th place.
- For a total of 9 points on the stage. (out of a possible 55 points -if you predict the top5 in correct order)

Thoughts?

And I like the list of events bluebeard. As for keeping track of the predictions. I will make a thread (which we can hopefullly get stickied). In that thread I'll have a picture with the updated standings, as well as results from previous stages.

In order to prevent someone building a lead and maintaining it by simply picking the same as the person in 2nd place, the choices will be sent to me on the day of the race (maximum 1hour before race start time) via private message in the forums. I'll post everyone's predictions in a "Race Day Thread" or something of the sort once the race goes live (thread which can be used to discuss a current race, as it unfolds - for those who aren't at work, or have time to spare).

I should mention that I would like to participate as well, so you guys can either trust that I wont use the knowledge of your secret picks as an advantage, or I can sit out to and remain a third party.

I love this idea - although I'm also Canadian, also fanatic about hockey pools.

I like the ideas you put forward about scoring, Merckx, and for my two cents on what should be included, I think grand tours and monuments are a must, as well as worlds. Other than that, Dauphine, Suisse, maybe even Pais Vasco for stage races (but it doesn't really matter), and for one-days, the 2 non-monument Ardennes are good... doesn't really matter though.

Also, I work out in the bush for a 2 month period of time, having internet access once or twice a week. So I'd have to send in my predictions well in advance, but I'm happy with that handicap.

I've updated the first post, I'm pretty sure this is the layout/template we're gonna go with. The only thing that needs clarifying/changing is the Polkadot Jersey category. The whole point-streak thing was made up on a whim, and I'm open to suggestions.

Also, we need more participants!

Great, this looks fun!

One question for clarification, you say 'For stage races, specific stages will be targeted beforehand'... do you mean we have to pick our 5 riders for each stage, all before the race starts? ie. for the Tour, we have to pick for 21 stages and submit those picks before the first stage starts? Just curious.

Oh wait, just reread and maybe you mean that we're only going to predict for certain stages, like key stages...?

Okay, two questions. For points for stage races, we only get one pick for winner, jerseys, etc?

Just wanna clarify. Thanks for putting this together, looks awesome.

Thanks for the questions! What I meant was indeed your second assumption, that for stage races we will only do bids on certain stages. I'm thinking for a race like the TDF we'll end up predicting for 5-10 stages. As for the stage race points, yes you only get one pick per jersey. The pick must be made PRIOR to the first stage, and you are trying to guess who will be wearing the jersey at the end.

ie: TDF
yellow: Alberto Contador
green: Tom Boonen
mountain: who the hell knows, Kreuziger? :p
young rider: Schlecklet

I messaged one of the Admins to see if we could get this stickied. That way its easier for the participants to spot. Also, if anyone has suggestions/etc feel free to let me know, I've never done a pool like this so this is all improvised.

If this first season is successful, maybe we can consider it for the next one. Unless of course there is overwhelming support to do this now. The main idea was to get the board members to know each other better and have a bit of fun.

TRENDING THREADS