• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

President? What president?

I don't blame him for being angry either as the politician was just using the event to get free media exposure in a positive light. Maybe if Sarkozy had actually pedaled up the mountain rather than riding up it in a car then he would have realized to get out of the way and to do his press conference somewhere else.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, JVDB has never been the brightest one of the bunch, so I doubt he even knew it was the French president.

His interviews are extremely funny, especially when you can understand Dutch lol. I think he's a great cyclist though, he just doesn't seem very bright to me.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Well, JVDB has never been the brightest one of the bunch, so I doubt he even knew it was the French president.

His interviews are extremely funny, especially when you can understand Dutch lol. I think he's a great cyclist though, he just doesn't seem very bright to me.

JVDB just has a jealous crush on Carla

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

how so not bright? just because he's no good at expressing himself after riding his a.ss off for 6 hours?
But he's right petit sarko should get out of the way of the riders. the guy doesn't even go to say hello to his own countrymen riders...

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
These guys are super amped after these stages. I don't know why people make such a big deal out of their behavior. Just don't understand what sort of stress these guys are under.

I sometimes get annoyed how the media barge in on a rider right after a stage. I mean cmon those guys just suffered on a bike for 6 hours...

I kinda understand Evans flipping out in the Tour a couple of times. It must be very annoying with people and press always wanting more out of you

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
how so not bright? just because he's no good at expressing himself after riding his a.ss off for 6 hours?
But he's right petit sarko should get out of the way of the riders. the guy doesn't even go to say hello to his own countrymen riders...

It's not like they deserve it. Yeah, 6 victories, and we all know how lame these stages were safe for one or 2.

He(VdB) doesn't express him self well even when he's not racing. It's not an insult to the guy, he's very dedicated to his career. Something which is very admirable.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I sometimes get annoyed how the media barge in on a rider right after a stage. I mean cmon those guys just suffered on a bike for 6 hours...

I kinda understand Evans flipping out in the Tour a couple of times. It must be very annoying with people and press always wanting more out of you

I think the media people will actually tap these guys with their mics to get the riders attention. A popular outburst seems to result from this.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
I know nothing of how Van den Broeck usually expresses himself but I thought he was spot on this once, and he would have been if he had spent the previous 2 hours taking a nap or getting a Thai massage. He was simply 100% right.

Is that anything like what Al Gore gets?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I know nothing of how Van den Broeck usually expresses himself but I thought he was spot on this once, and he would have been if he had spent the previous 2 hours taking a nap or getting a Thai massage. He was simply 100% right.

Yes, I'm not denying he wasn't right, but an interviewer asked him about what happened with him and the president and he said "Was he the president?" or something among those lines.

He also bumped into against the president by the way, and the president said sorry if I recall correctly. It's not like Sarkozy did something oh so bad here lol. But I can definitely understand VdB's reaction after a long day of racing. He was also mad that he lost a few seconds to Gesink lol.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I think that celebrities can attend the podium cermony but they should not hang around where the riders have just crossed the finish line. Remember what happened to Robbie McEuwen. -- Personally I don't like Sarkozy. He has probably cast an eye on German Chancellor Angela Merkel and as being from Germany I don't like this.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Yes, I'm not denying he wasn't right, but an interviewer asked him about what happened with him and the president and he said "Was he the president?" or something among those lines.

He also bumped into against the president by the way, and the president said sorry if I recall correctly. It's not like Sarkozy did something oh so bad here lol. But I can definitely understand VdB's reaction after a long day of racing. He was also mad that he lost a few seconds to Gesink lol.

Have to correct you on this one.
Saw the thing myself on Sporza and I think you misinterpreted it. Ofcourse he was aware it was the president.
The reporter asked if JVdB had an incident with the president to which JVdB answered "Yes, well if he's standing in my way I'm going to ride over him"
'It's as simple as that?'
"If he's coming to the Tour he has to make sure he makes room for the riders!"
'You were mad at him?'
"Well yes, I don't even know the guy"

He meant that last line as in know the president personally.

Besides, I'm fortunate enough to live 5k from Morkhoven, where JVdB grew up. Spoke to him last winter through mutual friends, I play football at a local team here and he seems to have some friends at Noordstar where he attended the football game when we played them. Didn't even notice him until a teammate pointed him out. He was laughing and enjoying himself and you wouldn't even consider him as a topathlete until you saw his tall slim figure and the fact he was the only one among his friends that wasn't drinking a Stella Artois. He's just a very down to earth guy who loves cycling but not all the extra duties such as PR which comes along with the profession. I can understand the guy because some of these reporters don't even try to pose interesting questions but read of the lines they made up in advance without listening to the answers the riders give them. I'd be frustrated to after delivering a top-performance for 6hours and immediatly being questioned by a reporter who isn't interested in doing his job the best he can.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
HL2037 said:
I was going to say exactly that!

I liked his racing this tour, now I like his personality too. A star is born.

wasn't he fifth in the 2008 Giro too(not counting Ricco and Sella)? Very strange he didn't get any coverage in Belgium for that feat, at least not compared to Seeldraeyers who won the young riders classification with 14th place.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Thanks to the media wanting everything from these guys, top cyclists can nowadays earn well into the 6, or even 7 figures a year. It might be annoying when you're tired following a big mountain stage, but those people allow cyclists to pay the bills.

TRENDING THREADS