• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Preview Limburg '12.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Sheep said:
u23 races won't have any images, apparently the dutch broadcaster didn't need to give guarantees for that. Were lucky Vos is dutch or else we probably wouldn't get to see anything from that either. :eek:
The u23 and juniors races aren't usually broadcasted in the Netherlands, and nobody apart from a few hardcore cycling fans is interested... so in dire times for public broadcasting it's not a strange decision.

theyoungest said:
The u23 and juniors races aren't usually broadcasted in the Netherlands, and nobody apart from a few hardcore cycling fans is interested... so in dire times for public broadcasting it's not a strange decision.

It is a terrible decision. Who cares about their local situation, they are broadcasting the World Championships to the whole world.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Tom Boonen(OPQS)
Philippe Gilbert(BMC)
Björn Leukemans(Vacansoleil)
Kevin De Weert(OPQS)
Gianni Meersman(Lotto)
Jürgen Roelandts(Lotto)
Greg Van Avermaet(BMC)
Stijn Vandenbergh(OPQS)
Johan Vansummeren(Garmin)

hrotha said:
Indeed. If you can't broadcast the event, don't bother bidding for it.

The NOS aren't the organisers.
So in fact, these are different things. The organisers didn't know the NOS were going to be cheap *******s once again.

Besides, believe me, Dutch people are even more mad. We pay tax money for this, and they rather spent it on useless hours and hours of useless ****ing football then anything else. So there is nothing left for cycling.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Tom Boonen(OPQS)
Philippe Gilbert(BMC)
Björn Leukemans(Vacansoleil)
Kevin De Weert(OPQS)
Gianni Meersman(Lotto)
Jürgen Roelandts(Lotto)
Greg Van Avermaet(BMC)
Stijn Vandenbergh(OPQS)
Johan Vansummeren(Garmin)

wtf is meersman gonna do there? don't tell me he's their joker, it's way too hard for him, tss...

Dekker_Tifosi said:
So in fact, these are different things. The organisers didn't know the NOS were going to be cheap *******s once again.

Besides, believe me, Dutch people are even more mad. We pay tax money for this, and they rather spent it on useless hours and hours of useless ****ing football then anything else. So there is nothing left for cycling.
The organizers can't choose which broadcaster they sell the rights to?

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Come on, get real. Nobody watches the espoirs race in Holland. It's a stupid decision for hardcore cycling fans, but it's a defendable one.

Miburo said:
wtf is meersman gonna do there? don't tell me he's their joker, it's way too hard for him, tss...
If the weather's good, it's not a super hard course. And Meersman made the top-20 in mountain stages in the Vuelta...

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
No. Because said sports are professional sports, and the medals you can win in them are real medals. These are amateur espoirs.

And all races for espoirs have been aired for the last couple of decades. This is just a disgrace.

NOS have already proven to be somewhat incompetent, now they add "not very smart" to it.

theyoungest said:
No. Because said sports are professional sports, and the medals you can win in them are real medals. These are amateur espoirs.
Funny, what with the Olympics's history with amateurism. How many athletes who participate in the more obscure sports do you think are full professionals?

The u23 race isn't for amateurs anymore anyway, not since the whole system was revamped in 1997 and the u23 category was created. And the medals the u23 riders win are very much real medals too.

hrotha said:
Funny, what with the Olympics's history with amateurism. How many athletes who participate in the more obscure sports do you think are full professionals?

The u23 race isn't for amateurs anymore anyway, not since the whole system was revamped in 1997 and the u23 category was created. And the medals the u23 riders win are very much real medals too.
You really don't see the difference between an obscure sport at the Olympics, and an espoirs race in a sport where there's a professional equivalent? The amateur roots of the Olympics are entirely irrelevant, cycling used to be all amateurs as well.

I like watching the espoirs race, don't get me wrong, but the "arguments" I hear are those of disappointed/frustrated cycling fans. Just like a fan of snooker might like to see a tournament of aspiring snooker players on tv.

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
NOS doesn't care about sports, all they care about is the NOS. They themselves aren't interested, so screw the rest of the world.

Let's just hope the UCI remembers this when they have to make future decisions where the NOS is involved. Maybe they can allow Dutch organisiers to make a deal with the VRT, who are far better in every aspect of broadcasting a race anyway, since you can't blame or punish Dutch cities for having to work with those other twits.

Slovak Team:

ITT
Matej Jurčo (Whirlpool - Author)
Peter Velits (Omega Pharma - Quick-Step)

RR
Matej Jurčo (Whirlpool - Author)
Maroš Kováč (Dukla Trenčín - Trek)
Juraj Sagan (Liquigas-Cannondale)
Peter Sagan (Liquigas-Cannondale)
Martin Velits (Omega Pharma - Quick-Step)
Peter Velits (Omega Pharma - Quick-Step)

TRENDING THREADS