• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Private message function

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I don't mean to annoy people with another thread but any message I seem to send out is placed straight into the outbox instead of being sent to the person who I intend to read it. Just wondering what can be done.

Cheers

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Jspear said:
It stays in your outbox until they have read the message. Once they've read it, it will no longer be in your outbox.
Cheers - i haven't used the function since my leave from the forum in the past year so did not know that!

Re:

irondan said:
Some comments have been removed because they were directly related to the posting of Private Messages to the open forum.

Please refrain from sharing/posting PM's.

Any PM's that get posted to the open forum will be removed with potential action carried out by forum staff.

Please respect the topic at hand and post accordingly.

Whilst I do agree that PMs should be private, this particular message wasn't actually private. It was sent unsolicited to a group of users. I didn't ask to receive it nor was it part of a conversation. I don't consider it to be "private" because the source sent it out to a group of people in attempt to smear another forum user and did so in a public manner.

I'm not seeing the private aspect of this specific message.

As a matter of principle and I think very much in line with earlier policy here, the use of the private message system in itself implies that it is private, regardless of number of recipients.

In the past it has been guarded that what is sent via the pm system stays in that system.

You can also refer to it as a private or exclusively chosen group of members, and as long as some/many members are left out from the exchange, it is in a private one.

That doesn't mean of course that anything goes in pm's. Because if a pm is reported it becomes visible to moderators, and subject to potential action.

Also there is always a risk that when you pm someone they will forward the content to third party (via PM system, or outside the forum)

That is not something we can control, and is also a reminder to "think before you make use of the pm system".

Generally we would like all members to trust that they can use the system privately, and not suddenly have their messages in said system posted for all to see. But also that they can always report any potential misdemeanor.

This was a more general reply and that was also the intention, because as the post is deleted there will be no point in a continuing discussion of it's content or interpretation of it.

" the use of the private message system in itself implies that it is private, regardless of number of recipients. "

That is not a tenable assumption: there are games on this site entered by PM submissions.

If you are trying to make the confidentiality of PMs a rule, your rule will have to account for legitimate exceptions.

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
" the use of the private message system in itself implies that it is private, regardless of number of recipients. "

That is not a tenable assumption: there are games on this site entered by PM submissions.

If you are trying to make the confidentiality of PMs a rule, your rule will have to account for legitimate exceptions.
Obviously there will be legitimate exceptions.

Users in the game threads that make submissions via PM do so with the full knowledge that the PM was not meant to be private, nor would the end user mean it to be private.

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:

All makes sense.

The only point to add is that the PM could become a "unmoderated" sub forum. If posts can fly about without being viewed by mods and sent to groups it could be damaging, I guess the thing to do is report those PMs and not post them.

Hi brokebiker, before you can use the PM function you'll need to reach a certain amount of posts. To increase your post count maybe try and introduce yourself here and then engage a bit in discussion around the forums. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers.

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Re:

BigMac said:
Hi brokebiker, before you can use the PM function you'll need to reach a certain amount of posts. To increase your post count maybe try and introduce yourself here and then engage a bit in discussion around the forums. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers.
Thanks for the advice. I think it's going really well so far! :D

TRENDING THREADS