• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Prize Money Allocation if Lance is Stripped of the $

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so this is a complicated one I guess.

Legally, if Lance is stripped of the prize money (as he was stripped of the win), where do the ASO/other organisers stand as far as not redistributing the money go.

I understand they're saying they're going to leave the winner "blank" for those years, but if I was a second place finisher, I think I'd have a strong case to say that I was the highest placed non-DQed finisher, and therefore am entitled to the prize money.

When they signed up to the race, they were told the prize money for winning. It's not up to the organisers to then decide if they give the money out or not, that'd be in the contract for competing.

Leaving the winner blank may work from a records point of view, but if they're starting to strip prize money, surely things get complicated as far as reallocation goes?

I would think that they would need to retrieve the prize money first. I wish them luck, along with retrieving the Yellow jerseys.

Did Bjarne Riis ever pay back his prize money after his confession? I think they asked for the yellow jersey back, but got a response along the lines of "You come and get it", probably with a few other words interspersed that cant be posted here as well.

I presume that Alberto never actually got the prize money from 2010 (likewise Landis in 2006) as the ASO waits a few weeks for the all clear, which they didnt get, before doling out the prize money.

Even then there is the tricky problem of actually awarding the jersey and prizemoney again. I dont think that ASO would feel very easy about some of the names in the list under LA in most of those years, which is no doubt part of their reasoning for leaving the blank space against 1st. The other 'little' problem, and not just for ASO, is the actual rewriting of all the results for the period that LA has been DQ'd for - would take months and more to rewrite the records, hence a blank space.

ASO wants the money to go to them. And they don't want to give it to the next guy either, since he probably doped. And they don't want to spend time and money to find the clean winner.

If ASO had any moral fiber, they would take the money they get from Lance, and use the money to find the clean winner. Then give the clean winner whatever is left.

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
If i recall correctly Pat McQuaid said in the press conference that the executive board of the UCI will discuss both the prize money and appointing of winners tomorrow. I believe he further stated that under the current rules recovery of prizemoney isn't possible. (see pressconference http://youtu.be/iDLOKy-5xck?t=12m35s)

So i'm guessing that even if the executive board decides on allowing the retrieval of prizemoney and the nullifying results without appointing a new winner, that it will only apply on future races.

ASO by the way can't change results themselves as they are not responsible for the so called Results Management. The appointment of a new winner remains a UCI matter and will depend on the outcome of the meeting and the way they decide to change the current rule set.

ToreBear said:
ASO wants the money to go to them. And they don't want to give it to the next guy either, since he probably doped. And they don't want to spend time and money to find the clean winner.

If ASO had any moral fiber, they would take the money they get from Lance, and use the money to find the clean winner. Then give the clean winner whatever is left.

ASO is doing their part of the GREED game.
That's why WE, THE FANS need to put pressure on them to do the RIGHT THING.
USADA found them a bunch of dopers whom they can claim millions back from. Their JOB is to find a rightfull winner. Being lazy/sad/shocked to decide and call a "lost era" is too easy. Not just lazy, it's GREEDY.

Please people, join me in calling for rightful, REWARDED winners for the so-called lost era!
I'm on it on Facebook/Twitter, but I need your help. I don't care WHO is declared winner for a given race, I don't care if he can 3rd or 107th, I just want him to be clean.

Find us some clean riders of the era, and devide prizes among them! ASO rewarded the money to winners, it should not find a final destaination with them!

Cloxxki said:
ASO is doing their part of the GREED game.
That's why WE, THE FANS need to put pressure on them to do the RIGHT THING.
USADA found them a bunch of dopers whom they can claim millions back from. Their JOB is to find a rightfull winner. Being lazy/sad/shocked to decide and call a "lost era" is too easy. Not just lazy, it's GREEDY.

Please people, join me in calling for rightful, REWARDED winners for the so-called lost era!
I'm on it on Facebook/Twitter, but I need your help. I don't care WHO is declared winner for a given race, I don't care if he can 3rd or 107th, I just want him to be clean.

Find us some clean riders of the era, and devide prizes among them! ASO rewarded the money to winners, it should not find a final destaination with them!

You have my moral support, and support on this forum, but due to other things I have to do at this time I can not help you.:(

But I hope you keep up. This is an important issue. Those who remained clean deserve to not be put into the dopers category which they will be when no winner is declared.

ToreBear said:
You have my moral support, and support on this forum, but due to other things I have to do at this time I can not help you.:(

But I hope you keep up. This is an important issue. Those who remained clean deserve to not be put into the dopers category which they will be when no winner is declared.

Thanks, and to other, I suggest:
#cleanwinnersoutthere
#findthecleanfinishers
#winstotheclean
#findourheros
#winsstolenfromsomeone
#thecleanfew
etc.

If they "all" doped, there is a lot of money to be retrieved for the clean few.

Perhaps a clean rider could even have some legal room to place a claim on missed out moneys. He could welcome anyone who finished before him to declare themselves clean, or decline from a formal result above him, granting potential high placing to the claimer. And not just that one July GC, also stages and one-days. Someone was stolen there. Perhaps someone in a lead group, the sole clean one there.

poupou said:
Prize money belongs french federation FFC.
FFC has already stated that they will use that money for young riders and so on.

Young riders are served by having clean heroes to take cues from.
People were stolen from rightful earnings, and when the strong arm collects it, it's sent to a strongarm's choice cause??

snackattack

BANNED
Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
abbaskip said:
, but if they're starting to strip prize money, surely things get complicated as far as ...

Lawstrong legal is about with a Sparks replay handwritten on-the-wall, that's where the train stops, take the e-word.

85.jpg

TRENDING THREADS