• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

PRO Ötztaler 5500 (1.1)

Many of you have probably already seen the advertisement for this race on Eurosport. This is a new 1.1 one day race taking place partly in Austria and partly in Italy. It's based on the Ötztaler Radmarathon a long running amateur event and known as one of the hardest cycling marathons of the world.
pro-otztaler-5500-2017-1503470826.png

pro-otztaler-5500-2017-1503470848.png

pro-otztaler-5500-2017-1503470858.png

pro-otztaler-5500-2017-1503470866.png

pro-otztaler-5500-2017-1503470873.png

startlist

The race will be broadcasted by Eurosport, however partly only on Eurosport 2. However I read somewhere that there will also be a livestream on the website of the race.
I know this race is only a 1.1 race and even some WT races don't get their own threads but I thought that this race is so unique that it deserves some attention. I mean, even in gt's you hardly ever have stages as hard as this race with basically 3 HC and one 2nd category climb. The big favorites are probably Spilak and Kreuziger and there are some other strong climbers like Hirt, Firsanov, Cunego, Mühlberger or Ciccone.

The race starts at 12.30 and I think they will ride some 6 1/2 hrs, depending on the tactics of the teams and probably also on the weather (there might be thunderstorms in the late afternoon).
I guess we'll see at least part of Jaufenpass and the whole Timmelsjoch, which could be worth some nice action.

Any chances for livestreams? In Germany Eurosport 1 shows replays instead of the Ötztaler because the Bundesliga pre-coverage starts at 19.00. Even though the soccer game itself is shown exclusively on the Eurosport Player. So there are replays again from 20.30 throughout 22.30. Fully goofy IMHO!

We all know Špilak is a completely different rider after June. But this is maybe the first race in this time of year of his career that suits him down to the ground. Long difficult climbs with temperature under 20°C for the most part. In Poland he looked terrible but the heat was extreme there. I'm interested to see if he actually doesn't have it in this time of year or are high temperatures the reason he disappears in the second part of the season year after year.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Any chances for livestreams? In Germany Eurosport 1 shows replays instead of the Ötztaler because the Bundesliga pre-coverage starts at 19.00. Even though the soccer game itself is shown exclusively on the Eurosport Player. So there are replays again from 20.30 throughout 22.30. Fully goofy IMHO!
There should be live streams by the time the coverage starts.

TRENDING THREADS