• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pro Cycling needs to break free from its Eurocentrism and go International

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cycling has been trying to globalise for the last two decades now and it aint happening. It has globalised a little but how long will this last? The cycling culture is just too strong in Europe, take the US for example, there have been so many races in the US down through the years but none of them have survived and I dont expect California to survive either. There are new races in Canada this year, there was also a World Cup race in Canada 20 years ago, it didnt survive. The US scene is currently about the same level as 20 years ago despite the presence of Lance and the increase in casual fans.

Even within Europe, look at countries like UK and Ireland, there were national tours in both countries in the late 80s early 90s but both disappeared until they both restarted in recent years, the level of competition at the Tour of Ireland is nothing like it was in its previous incarnation. UK also held a leg of the World Cup, again it disappeared. There was a Tour of Denmark in the 80s but it stopped also but has been back on the calendar for the last 10 years.

Look at how many races have stopped in Spain & Germany, no longer a big one day race in Switzerland, the only countries that have been able to consistenly stage events are the core countries of Belgium, Holland, France, Italy. Until other countries can show an ability to stage races consistenly over a long period of time, it is difficult to develop a culture.

Yes, Australia is going through a cycling boom but will this last, until cycling becomes a mainstream sport, it will be difficult to compete with the European core. I think Australia is doing ok with the Tour Down Under, just keep focusing on developing that race.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Eratosthenes said:
pro-atheletes are employees of their clubs, they are paid ultimately by us, the TV viewers and buyers of the sponsors products (...) Ultiumately any athelete wants to beat or be part of team that beats the best in the world. So if this happens to be in China, Canada or NZ, it wouldn;t make a big difference.

I think it would make a big difference because most of the TV viewers are in Europe! I've watched one stage of the ToC this year, and that's only because coincidentally I'm on holiday this week. If it weren't for that, I couldn't watch it, even if I wanted to, because it airs too late. So I really would not watch a Tour of NZ even if it was really good, because it'd be impossible. That was the same when the football world cup was in South Korea and Japan - they scheduled the games in a way that Europeans could watch them. I'm not saying it's fair but that's how it is - there might be a huge interest for football in Brazil as well, but Europe is where the money is and where the sponsors are.

pmcg76 said:
Cycling has been trying to globalise for the last two decades now and it aint happening. It has globalised a little but how long will this last? The cycling culture is just too strong in Europe, take the US for example, there have been so many races in the US down through the years but none of them have survived and I dont expect California to survive either. There are new races in Canada this year, there was also a World Cup race in Canada 20 years ago, it didnt survive. The US scene is currently about the same level as 20 years ago despite the presence of Lance and the increase in casual fans.

Even within Europe, look at countries like UK and Ireland, there were national tours in both countries in the late 80s early 90s but both disappeared until they both restarted in recent years, the level of competition at the Tour of Ireland is nothing like it was in its previous incarnation. UK also held a leg of the World Cup, again it disappeared. There was a Tour of Denmark in the 80s but it stopped also but has been back on the calendar for the last 10 years.

Look at how many races have stopped in Spain & Germany, no longer a big one day race in Switzerland, the only countries that have been able to consistenly stage events are the core countries of Belgium, Holland, France, Italy. Until other countries can show an ability to stage races consistenly over a long period of time, it is difficult to develop a culture.

Yes, Australia is going through a cycling boom but will this last, until cycling becomes a mainstream sport, it will be difficult to compete with the European core. I think Australia is doing ok with the Tour Down Under, just keep focusing on developing that race.

+1

Races will come and go, have done so for decades, but the GT's and the classics will always stay the same. Unless if there's another World War, which I hope not :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
wrong direction

Speaking as an Australian that has followed racing for over 25 years I want pretty much the exact opposite of what you are saying. For me the problem with cycling is the ridiculous attempts to instantly create historic events (ToC as the 2nd biggest annual race? are you on crack?)

What is all this focus on having local events? In Australia they don't get that much attention and the sponsors will lose out because they miss the important people - thats right, the Europeans who won't stay up late to watch it on TV. from a sponsors position, which option is worse? A European race and say 200,000 Australians not staying up to watch it, or an Australian race with 2million Europeans not tuning in?

What idiot decided to allow the Giro to be watered down just to suck up to America? A bunch of people will turn out to the race course but I am interested - how many Europeans actually tuned in? - or did they watch the Giro and not bother?

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Cheers again for the comments.

Libertine Seguros said:
Huh? So you say have a tour of Australia AND New Zealand in one race? Or a tour of Canada AND New York? Or is this a way of diluting the Euro races so there are fewer, so the Tour of Switzerland AND Austria? If so we already have at least one race like that - the Eneco Tour.

No. Alternate location in regions to share the love so to speak. I mean the course for the TdF changes every year.

Libertine Seguros said:
So again, this is about your desire as a Tasmanian not to have to travel to Adelaide to see the riders? .... The flyaway races should probably be crammed together on the calendar, ... This would make it cheaper for the sponsors.

First, let me clarify something. I live on the mainland and will soon live in BrisVegas, and I would happily travel to another mainland location to see an International race. I probably will for the TDU next year. It would be fantastic and soak up a bit of South Australia and Adelaide where I have not visited yet. No problems there at all. I talk about going to the TdF as well, I would be happy incorporating part of it in my vacation, in fact i would love it and my wife and I talk about it a fair bit (and she doesn't even watch cycling). But two little kids makes that challenging at present.

Libertine Seguros said:
Edit - I don't see how that Matt Lloyd quote can be dressed up as a desire for a national team. He was asked about the Aussies having all the jerseys, and said, logically, that they had them all but not the Teams classification because they aren't racing as a team. ... even if you took a team of 9 of those 13, you'd have a real mixture of goals there, .. you'd have had much less success.

yeah I have answered the last point before. I know Lloyds comments weren't specific about a national team, however many on this forum have spoken agressively against the notion of a nationalistic team, but I wonder what the pro-cyclists themselves think and whether some might actually like it. Lloyds comments do not seem opposed to it that is all (yes it is a bit of a stretch I know).

I also think that if ever an Aussie sponsored team did arise it must include other nationalities for the many reasons already stated by others. I would not advocate a purely Australian team, rather one with a majority of Aussies

Libertine Seguros said:
Except at the Worlds, the teams are not national in cycling. Therefore it is not often that patriotism is the key. Most fans follow riders first and teams second, and this means that personality is often more key in whether or not you like somebody than nationality. Please do not imagine that the rest of the world is as patriotic as yourself, or that globalisation is a uniformly good thing for the sport. It has some major drawbacks, especially at present.

To be honest I am not fussed either way. I am enjoying the status quo immensely. Just wouldn't mind seeing more INternationalisation of an International sport. It's a bit as if the only athletics would occur in Africa, or swimming in Australia. Cycling is just as commonplace as these so it deserves ... hang on it just struck me, what about MOUNTAIN BIKE racing. That is International with a world cup isn't it? There you go: it can work. I know, I know it is different, but it is also similar. It certainly suggests that it is not impossible. (Mind you I don't follow that at all so someone who is informed about it can jump in either way).

I make no assumptions about the patriotism of the rest of the world, and imagine that they all think like me (that would just be silly). Like you I am merely giving an opinion and throwing the idea out there.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Martin318is said:
Speaking as an Australian that has followed racing for over 25 years I want pretty much the exact opposite of what you are saying. For me the problem with cycling is the ridiculous attempts to instantly create historic events (ToC as the 2nd biggest annual race? are you on crack?)

What is all this focus on having local events? In Australia they don't get that much attention and the sponsors will lose out because they miss the important people - thats right, the Europeans who won't stay up late to watch it on TV. from a sponsors position, which option is worse? A European race and say 200,000 Australians not staying up to watch it, or an Australian race with 2million Europeans not tuning in?

What idiot decided to allow the Giro to be watered down just to suck up to America? A bunch of people will turn out to the race course but I am interested - how many Europeans actually tuned in? - or did they watch the Giro and not bother?

Well, hang on a bit. Let's analyse this a bit more. Why isn't procycling huge in Australia? Well because it is Eurocentric, most of the population have no idea about its history, and very few Australians compete in it (though much more in the last 10 years), or doing well in it (again changing lately with a few exceptions; also hard to gain traction in a country if you never see your nation anywhere at the front, just a bunch of also rans).

But looking at Australia again since it is the situation I know, interest and money is increasing (partly Lance, partly Cadel and other Aussies). Increased live coverage etc. What a far cry from 10, even 5 years ago. Where will it be in 10 to 20 years? Things can and do change.

OK so the International thing has been tried before and hasn't worked. Now may not be the time. But you all know how popular cycling is, and with Aussies there (or Americans, Asians, etc.) and increased covereage and top races with top riders in your own country, the money could grow, and be in substantive amounts to warrant an International circuit.

I agree with you about the ToC, hype over substance.

In response to a couple of other comments: My point about money being the centre still stands. I don't like it either of course, I try to block it out, but it IS THE REALITY of modern sport: football, F1, baseball, and so on and so forth.

Eratosthenes said:
To be honest I am not fussed either way. I am enjoying the status quo immensely. Just wouldn't mind seeing more INternationalisation of an International sport. It's a bit as if the only athletics would occur in Africa, or swimming in Australia. Cycling is just as commonplace as these so it deserves ... hang on it just struck me, what about MOUNTAIN BIKE racing. That is International with a world cup isn't it? There you go: it can work. I know, I know it is different, but it is also similar. It certainly suggests that it is not impossible. (Mind you I don't follow that at all so someone who is informed about it can jump in either way).

I make no assumptions about the patriotism of the rest of the world, and imagine that they all think like me (that would just be silly). Like you I am merely giving an opinion and throwing the idea out there.
Mountain biking was an American sport to begin with.

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
I think foreign parts in the world (as in non-central Europe!) need to focus on building the sport locally. The best way to get good cyclists is to concentrate on getting lots of good quality local races.

If the field is good enough in Australia and there are lots of races, riders wouldn't have to move to europe so quickly. you would get new champions, new professional teams and maybe you would get that protour team.

But you don't get those by simply organising protour races like the TDU where the speeds are a lot faster than in the biggest races in Australia and there are only one or two aus teams participating. And even worse - you don't get those by suddenly making a protour team that takes 25 best aussie riders to europe, and then a leave huge gap in the local scene where nothing happens and nothing will happen. Not even the most talented kids can develop enough in the same weak, small races, even if the "protour team" racing somewhere far away in europe is trying to encourage them.. When the local field is the same old weak aussie field that it has always been, the shock they get when they enter in their first euro race is always going to be huge! very quickly leads to overtraining, depression and so on!

Yeah maybe young people there can get excited about seeing Lance Armstrong once a year, but when they try cycling for a few years, they notice they will have to move to europe eventually, which can be a big let-down and the biggest obstacle.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
The UCI doesn't put on races. They sanction races. In order for them to sanction the race, a promoter has to be willing to put it on. In this respect, they've been more that accommodating. They gave high rankings to TDU, TOC, Tour of Missouri, Tour of Georgia, and Montepaschi Strade Bianche, GP cycliste de Montreal, GP Cycliste de Quebec, and more. At this point in the the job of the race promoter to make a successful, race. What are the promoters doing to make their race attractive to teams, riders and sponsors?

The TDU and the Tour of Qatar provide early season opportunities for riders to check their form and a chance for sponsors to get their logos in the press. Qatar appeals to sprinters with few hills, so someone who normally only looks for stage wins and one day races has the opportunity for an overall victory in a stage race. Because these offer something unique, they will succeed. Try to move them to the European spring summer of fall, and they will fail. Even as these races build status, there will always be other races that have a higher status.

TOC is there for sponsors. Columbia, Garmin, Specialized, Trek, Radio Shack. They are investing money in the sport, and this race keeps them happy. The company big wigs can see their marketing investment in action and visit with the people spending their money. The American riders care about the race, but most other Pro-Tour riders are there to keep the sponsors happy. The timing of the race now interferes with other races, and it doesn't offer anything unique. It is a week long stage race with some hills and a time trial. TOC will succeed in its current guise as long as there are American sponsors who want to see their teams there. If the American sponsors leave, they'll have to seriously reconsider their race.

Montepaschi Strade Bianche is as close to an instant classic as you will find. It has found a place on the calendar near T-A and offers a unique challenge for the classics riders that are in form for the spring classics. I think this will quickly become one of the top 10 prestigious one-day races in the world.

International expansion is great, but it cannot be forced, and it takes time to write the names in the history book which will ultimately be what makes the new races classics.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
There is the Tour down under and that has got itself a following in Australia. Still average television coverage though - even here. Meanwhile, look at what has happened to racing in Australia over the last few decades. Racing has if anything gone backwards in a lot of ways. A list of races and their newer start locations:

Melbourne to Ballarat - starts out near Caroline springs (30km OUT of Melbourne)
Melbourne to Shepparton - Craigieburn (38km OUT of Melbourne)
Melbourne to Yarrawonga - Craigieburn (38km OUT of Melbourne)

and the biggest one, Melbourne to Warrnambool which has existed since 1897!! It has always attracted a small entry list of foreign riders who are here to ride the Sun Tour. When I entered the Warny in 1997 it started in Bourke Street in the absolute centre of Melbourne. Now? It starts out at Werribee - 35km from the centre of the city)

What I am sayinng here is that there may well be a bit of spectator support for externally created races like TDU and made for TV events such as the Bay Crits but meanwhile, the grassroots racing is almost completely ignored.

Eurocentrism

The reason that Europe is still the hotbed of pro cycling is simply tradition and history and culture. There are stage races now on every continent. I don't see the point of national teams. We have the world championships and the Olympics for that. They previously raced national teams in the Tour de France when cycling was still a more or less an amateur sport but it has moved on. I think it is fine the way it is. Sure Australia would have a great team but then again so would Spain, Italy, USA etc.......I don't think it would add anything extra to what is already a great sport and spectacle for the fans.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
also, a national team concept would make life interesting for people like the Schlecks, Thor, etc where would they find the rest of their team from?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
also, a national team concept would make life interesting for people like the Schlecks, Thor, etc where would they find the rest of their team from?

Yup good point, and nations like Italy and Spain would have to have 2 teams for the Tdf - or could you see Valverde fetching bottles for Contador?

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
khardung la said:
I was going to ask the International Surfing association for a competition in the international calendar in the lake in front of my house. Then I realised that no one cares about surfing in my region, and also that probably it is too cold, there are no real waves, there is nothing remotely looking like a nice beach...

In fact now I prefer if they compete in gorgeous Australia, California, Hawaii, Chile, Ecuador...It is unfair for us in North Europe, but that is life :D . I can always watch how they do on TV or in the internet...One can't have it all.

how do you say "that's completely irrelevant", in swedish/spanish?

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
re: national teams

i just want to point out that the world championships and olympics are both national team-based races and some of the most exciting on the calendar.

as for the rest....cycling is a european sport. as americans/aussies/et al., we have to live as outsiders and that's that. it doesn't matter how much success we have, as outsiders we will never be accepted fully. for me that makes the wins all the more fun.

the americans have had some success with lance, greg, andy, davis and others. but euros will always hate us. no point grinding an axe about it. we are interlopers.

it doesn't matter how good cadel is. or how good stuart is. or how good robbie is. jesus, you guys have developed a real cycling culture down there. i could name aussie stars all day. right on! but, people like libertine seguros will still always consider you outsiders. that's just a fact. and she's not wrong.

cycling is a european sport. the established races have deep traditions, with a capital DEEP. and as outsiders we have to respect that....and occasionally dominate certain areas of their sport. :)

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
There's room for international events outside of europe on the calendar, it's just that it can not be expected that, the ATOC for example will upstage the Giro.

Look at the Tour down under, good place on the calendar, increasing in scale year on year.
I felt February was a good place for the ATOC because it didn't clash with anything, but was probably the biggest race on at that time.
There's room for races, just find the right spot on the calendar (easier said than done, I know).