• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pro Cyclists and Smoking

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
YES!

Thats right smoking is good for cyclists. I've trained with lots of protour riders ( so I must know what im talking about) who enjoy a puff including a recent tour winner, in fact his doctor prescribed him half a pack a day! I used to be cat 4 pack fodder now after two years smoking I'm racing against pros in cat 1.

Stanford researchers have discovered that low doses of nicotine promote new blood vessel growth so its basically legal epo it also leads to lower levels of stress and increased concentration both vital for elite athlete.

Pro riders are paranoid about getting sick, you ask any smoker if he gets a lot of colds a year. They'll answer not that many!

If your looking for a legal performance enhancement I say get on it. They should start testing for it.

How many of you enjoy a relaxing puff while you smoke the competition?

10.jpg

smoking%2Bcyclist.jpg

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
WonderLance said:
YES!

Stanford researchers have discovered that low doses of nicotine promote new blood vessel growth so its basically legal epo it also leads to lower levels of stress and increased concentration both vital for elite athlete.

"Sulu, drop the anti-troll shields for a moment"
"Aye aye, Captain"
"Uhura, transmit the following to the Borg-troll cube."
"Yes, Captain"

Nicotine actually constricts blood vessels, reducing blod flow. Maybe that results in the documented blood vessel growth. Nicotine PATCHES, would probably be a more effective and (slightly) healthier method of dosing.

"Re-engage shields Mr. Sulu."
"Aye aye Captain"
"Continue barrages of 'common sense' photon torpedos Mr. Chekov."
"Aye Captain, but they seem to have no effect."

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
jimbob_in_co said:
"

Nicotine actually constricts blood vessels, reducing blod flow. Maybe that results in the documented blood vessel growth. Nicotine PATCHES, would probably be a more effective and (slightly) healthier method of dosing.
"

But do the patches also make you look cool?

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, smoking improves image. I think if more cyclists were up front about their smoking we would see more investment in the sport by the tobacco industry. It also aids weight loss, helping many anorexics and bulimics stay on top of their problem.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I've got a bit of a problem.

A forum user reciently convinced me to start a raw food vegan diet but I want to keep smoking, surely this is cooking my vegetables?

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Fester said:
It also aids weight loss,

Of course, another positive.

This just gets better and better, what cyclist isnt worried about their weight. I cant say for sure but i bet that's how Andrew stays so svelte

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I know a lot of scrawny climber-types who would chew nicotine gum to supress their appetite (they're all pretty much anorexic, anyway), but that was never for me.

I prefer a good strong smoke. Gitanes (with no filter) were always my favourite. I worked hard to keep it moderate, though. Even mid-season I'd only go through half a pack on a 200km ride. That's a lot of hours looking cool...

If it was early season (and rainy, of course), I'd have to resort to a patch. Not nearly as cool. To make up for the loss in 'cool factor' I'd colour it black with a permanent marker and put it over one eye, sort of like a pirate. That was VERY cool!

Upon reflection, it might of been the benzene leaching out of the marker that made those cold, wet days so acceptable. I have to add that I've lost partial sight out of my favoured eye, and my short term memory isn't quite what it used to be, so maybe it wasn't such a good idea afterall.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, smoking...

Smoking is totally cool!

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
WonderLance said:
YES!

Thats right smoking is good for cyclists. I've trained with lots of protour riders ( so I must know what im talking about) who enjoy a puff including a recent tour winner, in fact his doctor prescribed him half a pack a day! I used to be cat 4 pack fodder now after two years smoking I'm racing against pros in cat 1.

Pro riders are paranoid about getting sick, you ask any smoker if he gets a lot of colds a year. They'll answer not that many!

If your looking for a legal performance enhancement I say get on it. They should start testing for it.

How many of you enjoy a relaxing puff while you smoke the competition?

WTF!! Smoking is exceedingly dangerous for cyclists.

Firstly the smoke & ash can get in your eye's unless you have the old style M-sport Oakleys.
While you may cycle with ProTour riders the rest of us cycle with WorldTour™ riders - some of them are not good at cycling with one hand while smoking, usually we give them a few brandys to help them relax.

The UCI should put ashtrays on all the handlebars but Pat McQuaid is too busy winning the world war on doping in livestock in Spain.

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
The study link

http://articles.sfgate.com/2001-07-03/news/17610335_1_nicotine-new-blood-blood-vessels

Pardon me an article about the study.

Here is the first paragraph;

In an unexpected finding, Stanford University researchers have discovered for the first time that nicotine can promote the dangerous growth of new blood vessels, increase the growth of tumors and stimulate formation of the artery- clogging substance called plaque.

Would you like me to post a link to the definition of the word idiot ?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I saw an article or two that mentioned that, in the raid of Popo's house, the Italian cops took away hashish in addition to his computer and cell phone. Does that count?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Fester said:
Agreed, smoking improves image. I think if more cyclists were up front about their smoking we would see more investment in the sport by the tobacco industry. It also aids weight loss, helping many anorexics and bulimics stay on top of their problem.
The decline in smoking has be devastating for the funds that payout pensions for retirees, and social security systems in some governments.

There should be some sort of awareness to get more people smoking ciggies again.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
The decline in smoking has be devastating for the funds that payout pensions for retirees, and social security systems in some governments.

There should be some sort of awareness to get more people smoking ciggies again.

It's ok pro cyclists don't live that long, what with the combo of hunting accidents, ped's and too much of Mrs Eddy's home cooking.

TRENDING THREADS