• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

pro mechanic grease and cleaning??

I don't know why I have so much trouble trying to figure this out but what do the pro team mechanics use for cleaning chains and mainly where do you get the grease they use. It seems like it is the original packing grease chains come with. I want to make my drive train look like pro drive trains. spotless.

thanks

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Just keep in mind that if you clean the bikes the way the team mechanics do, they stay very clean but they wear out very fast compared to a more normal cleaning method/cycle.

years ago, I had a huge tub of Campy's white grease, it was probably about 5 lbs worth of the stuff. It got lost during one of my many moves, and I haven't found anything close to it since. Does anybody have any ideas for a good quality grease for loose bearings and the like?

Marva32 said:
years ago, I had a huge tub of Campy's white grease, it was probably about 5 lbs worth of the stuff. It got lost during one of my many moves, and I haven't found anything close to it since. Does anybody have any ideas for a good quality grease for loose bearings and the like?

I use the Phil Wood green stuff. One big tube has lasted me a long time.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Many times i watch Service De La Course mechanics after a long stage of a tour.
The spend hours cleaning, most use soap and water plus a little kero in the water to wash the bike and chains they spend hours washing bikes.
they then inspect all parts for cracks
however tyres are sprayed with degreaser to get then white walls white and check for cuts.
There is a lot of de greaser used I have seen many empty cans after.

But as long as the bike lasts to the end on the tour they dont care they are usualy sold to un suspecting cyclists.

Onlyiftheytestpositive said:
I don't know why I have so much trouble trying to figure this out but what do the pro team mechanics use for cleaning chains and mainly where do you get the grease they use. It seems like it is the original packing grease chains come with. I want to make my drive train look like pro drive trains. spotless.

thanks

If you want that, take the drivetrain off and clean it almost everyride and it will be like a pro's drivetrain during a multi-day race. Often pro teams change the chain almost every stage, and keep the goop it comes in on the chain.

Marva32 said:

Grease is oil in 'soap'. Anydecent grease will do. I mix a tub of lithium with a tub of blue boat grease. Get both at a local hardware store for about $3 per.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
shimano at least no longer puts that god forsaken dirt magnet packing grease on there chains anymore it is a light oil now. that old grease was utterly terrible for keeping clean. for my bikes i simply use a chain cleaner brushes water and simple grean citrus degreaser is rarely needed and to be avoided as it stains and washes away bearing grease. you can get a bike utterly spotless simply with water and simple green. simple green is great non toxic but works even on firearms where temps and pressures are much higher than what we deal with on bikes.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Onlyiftheytestpositive said:
so can this stuff be put on the chain. it sounds like its for bearings.

Not trying to be rude but why would you put grease on a chain? Unless you clean it all up after each ride the thing would be covered in dirt after a few rides.

I keep my chain super clean by waxing it. You do get was flakes coming off but those you can just brush off and the drive train is super quiet, no squeaks or chain noise whatsoever, stealthy. I use a two chain setup where one chain is always ready to be mounted so if the chain on the bike gets wet or starts to loose too much wax I swap them out. Its not for everyone though its a bit time consuming compared to just oiling the chain but then again I never get chain grime on my leg even if I purposely rub my leg on the chain, not that I do.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
You see pro mechainics put a light amount of grease on a chain when the conditions are going to be very wet.

ProGold lube isn't all that, no lube is. I've used it for years. I find it's just too thin and my chains get noisy real quick. It needs to be applied often. It's great for dry dusty conditions though as it doesn't collect much dirt .... that's because their just isn't much there to collect dirt!

I use Boeshield T-9 most of the time, the drip is a little thicker than the spray. It's leaves a light waxy film on the chain.