• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pro Tour Teams 2010

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Skil-Shimano will probably miss out. Cervelo deserves a spot if they apply. Radioshack will get one because they will put together a very accomplished team (at least 7 Tour de France victories on it). We will see what Sky puts together, should be a good effort.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
I hope Skil-Shimano don't get bumped to ProTour, the extra racing commitments and team size will probably destroy any chances they've got of having a decent 2010. They should forget the ProTour thing and concentrate on fielding strong teams at as may ASO organised events as possible to guarantee a second wildcard for le Tour.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
Skil-Shimano will probably miss out. Cervelo deserves a spot if they apply. Radioshack will get one because they will put together a very accomplished team (at least 7 Tour de France victories on it). We will see what Sky puts together, should be a good effort.

I'd forgotten Cervelo doesn't have a ProTour licence. One of the reasons they got to ride the tour this year was they had the defending champion on their team - would they be relying on having the defending Green Jersey winner next year (assuming they don't apply and gain a licence)?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I can't understand why anyone would love to see Radio Shack miss out. Love or hate the man this team is good for cycling.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
TrudyTas said:
I'd forgotten Cervelo doesn't have a ProTour licence. One of the reasons they got to ride the tour this year was they had the defending champion on their team - would they be relying on having the defending Green Jersey winner next year (assuming they don't apply and gain a licence)?

Given the strength of the squad, Cervelo can basically do any race that they want. I will rage so hard if Cervelo don't get an invite to the Tour (and let's face it, they don't need to be in the ProTour they >>>>>>>> a lot of teams that are actually ProTour).

Cofidis should drop out of the ProTour. They are a French team who's interests are in France (and Portugal AFAIK) and they will have no problems getting invited to an ASO race. Lampre should give up on the Tour, they don't care about it (otherwise Cunego would of been made to race), and they don't have anybody who can really win a stage (Ballan aside and he won't be there next year) and instead focus on the Classics that are owned by ASO.

Radio Shack probably don't need a PT licence either, because if Lance wants to do a race, they will get in, because like him or hate him, Lance = interest in a race = more money from sponsors for the race organisation etc.

I don't see why Cervelo needs ProTour status. They managed to get into pretty much every big race this year, and i don't see why that should change next year. They've got riders for pretty much every type of race.

I would like to see Sky and RadioShack get in out of the new teams. Don't think Skil has any shot. I wouldn't be sad to see Cofidis and Milram leave the ProTour, both add little to the equation.

McQuaid said "one or two teams might not get the licence". So it seems possible that they may expand to 19 teams.

There's maybe too many French teams at this level, one could get the boot?

Skil might be taking some risks. I think Cervelo were wise not to apply this year. Being a PT team will probably cause increased spending that those teams are not yet ready for.

I'm pretty certain that Team Sky will get it, because of its backing. Having a media group as a partner is good for the UCI to raise awareness of cycling.

Radio Shack? I do not know. Depends on the kind of budget and objectives they pitched to the UCI.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
There is a lot more than just having a stacked roster in getting a protour license. There are financial committments and organizational issues as well. I was very surprised that Skil is trying to make the jump. I could only guess that they may be adding some fire power to the roster next year...and I am under the impression that they are getting additional support from Skil in France. Both they and Cervelo did the races they wanted to this year...so if they don't have pro tour status there is no real downside. My feeling is that Sky will definitely get it and so will RS.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
...Both they [Skil-Shimano] and Cervelo did the races they wanted to this year...so if they don't have pro tour status there is no real downside.

In this case, what is the advantage of having a PT licence?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
TrudyTas said:
In this case, what is the advantage of having a PT licence?

That is exactly my point. I don't know what the advantage would be...Skil does most of the major classics, got to the Tour this season...I don't know. Anyone have an idea?

They should get rid of fuji. I know the ASO blacklisted them(well sort of) this year from some of their races but still, the races they were in they did shat all. Giro is a good example, i know they were in the race but i barely saw them the whole three weeks. Also another doping violation would ruin them (it would probably almost ruin any team though to be fair) they would lose what little credability they have left.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Radio Shack will most likely get a Pro Tour license. The other two will depend largely on their off season signings and financial statements.

I could see Astana having serious issues over the winter. ASO will not allow Vino to race their events. I would suspect the Giro may also be resistant to allowing him back.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Is anyone worried that Garmin doesn't get a spot next year. If Radioshack gets a license I could see the UCI not wanting 3 American teams and Garmin might be the one to go. They don't have Lance or Cavendish, the big money names. If Garmin doesn't get the license I could see Wiggins going to Sky for sure. Maybe then Vandevelde goes to Radioshack as a super-dom. Who knows...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Not all the licenses have to be renewed this year correct? So some teams (Garmin?) don't have to worry about that now do they?

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
Not all the licenses have to be renewed this year correct? So some teams (Garmin?) don't have to worry about that now do they?

ah, you're right.

so i guess it's really skil-shimano that's on the chopping block. but i could easily see bbox going, too. aren't they out of sponsorship $? though, i suppose they've done marginally better than skil.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:
ah, you're right.

so i guess it's really skil-shimano that's on the chopping block. but i could easily see bbox going, too. aren't they out of sponsorship $? though, i suppose they've done marginally better than skil.

bbox or francaise de jeux will definitely go, they do nothing all year. bbox fluked two wins in the tour.

i could see silence lotto leave they get invites to all classics cos they are big belgian team and evans can get them grand tours.

euskatel dont win much but are aggresive and always involved unlike silence

dont know why LPR dont want to get protour they have di luca petacchi pietropolli and bosisio

And serramenti diquigovanni they have scarponi serpa ginnani gavazzi rebeelin and simoni (old but still exciting)

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
tretow95 said:
bbox or francaise de jeux will definitely go, they do nothing all year. bbox fluked two wins in the tour.

i could see silence lotto leave they get invites to all classics cos they are big belgian team and evans can get them grand tours.

euskatel dont win much but are aggresive and always involved unlike silence

dont know why LPR dont want to get protour they have di luca petacchi pietropolli and bosisio

And serramenti diquigovanni they have scarponi serpa ginnani gavazzi rebeelin and simoni (old but still exciting)

i would be so sure on fd jeux. they've held sponsorship for 12 years now, that surely matters to the UCI, plus i can't see canceling a french team and adding an american... doesn't seem like they'd go for that.

also, i think di luca and petacchi are reasons LPR WON'T get an invite... a lot of controversy there.

BBox got one more year of sponsorship, partly thanks to their TdF run and 2 stage wins.

I don't think the UCI is too worried about 3 US teams. There's 5 French teams (that's 1 or 2 in excess, IMHO), 3 Spanish ones, only one for Italy if I am not mistaken, 2 for Belgium, 1 Dutch. That is far from being "representative".

Sponsors willing to commit in PT are not that abundant. The licences will follow the money.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
i thought astanas current liecense was actually owned buy the hog, not by the astana team sponsers, so would radio shack not inherrit this liecence?
if that is the case, with the riders that astana will be losing, i dont think they will get a pro tour liecense. i would also like to see lampre, cofidis and milram miss out, at the moment they both offer little, but maybe if theyre concentrating on fewer races they could contribute more.
skil getting a liecense would be pointless, they were way out of their depth at le tour

ThisFrenchGuy said:
I don't think the UCI isn't too worried about 3 US teams. There's 5 French teams (that's 1 or 2 in excess, IMHO), 3 Spanish ones, only one for Italy if I am not mistaken, 2 for Belgium, 1 Dutch. That is far from being "representative".

2 Italian: Lampre & Liquigas

FWIW, I think RS and Sky replace Cofidis. I think Milram are just as weak a team - but suspect the UCI will want to retain the only German team.

If Lampre's licence is up next year I would expect them to be out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts