• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pro with most unlikely place of origin ?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Unless someone came out of their mother's anus, our point of origin is the same.

Caesar would disagree.

I recently read about a pro cyclist from Guernsey. Very small island with many tight winding roads, I thought it would be tough to make the pro ranks from there. I probably just think it's cool because I come from Guernsey too. Yeah, it's cool.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Do those Zimbabwean cyclo-cross riders that Roger De Vlaeminck helped out, and of course that reality TV program involving the Zimbabweans, unless that was his brother Erik, count? I believe there was some Mongolians competing at this year's Cyclo-Cross worlds.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Hehe....you sure??

No-one appears to know.

There was this excellent 2 part article written on CN about Abdoujaparov back in 2008 - at the time it appears no-one knew what he was doing and Abdu didn't want anyone to know what he was doing.
im pretty sure i read some place, cant recall where, abdu is fine and was an honour guest at a sporting event.

pedaling squares said:
I recently read about a pro cyclist from Guernsey. Very small island with many tight winding roads, I thought it would be tough to make the pro ranks from there. I probably just think it's cool because I come from Guernsey too. Yeah, it's cool.

As I see it coming from a place with narrow winding roads give you quite an advantage on technical routes...

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Do those Zimbabwean cyclo-cross riders that Roger De Vlaeminck helped out, and of course that reality TV program involving the Zimbabweans, unless that was his brother Erik, count? I believe there was some Mongolians competing at this year's Cyclo-Cross worlds.

I am wondering about pros on European road racing teams, competiting there- there may be some exotic pros in Japanese kerin racing etc. but since the coverage here is virtually nil the relevance would escape me.

Likewise, the novelty of the cycling equivalent to the Jamacian bobsled team in the winter Olympics is also irelevant- that is to say, if Fiji has a guy in the Olympic road race, his presence would not be as remarkable as say, if he was competiting in the Giro.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Potomac said:
Unlikely would be a place that isn't conducive to cycling, and yet produced one, and nobody has yet to name an unlikely place.
wouldnt of thought Japan would be a cycling country....

Yukiya Arashiro - Japan's first pro cyclist

Isnt it Robbie Hunter that's from South Africa....???????

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:
I am wondering about pros on European road racing teams, competiting there- there may be some exotic pros in Japanese kerin racing etc. but since the coverage here is virtually nil the relevance would escape me.

Theo Bos has raced in Japanese Keirin, I'm sure some others have.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
sportzchick said:

They even broadcasted Vuelta in Japan last year!!!!

So I am not surprised.

sportzchick said:

Both countries have decent cycling programs though. The likes of Arashiro and Beppu are more unlikely than guys like Hunter and Impey because Japanese cycling is based more around the track (particually with the keiren) than on the road.

I wouldn't consider them to be more unlikely than the Haedo brothers at Saxobank from Argentina.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Potomac said:
You can cycle 12 months a year in Rwanda.

How does that matter? You can cycle 12 months of the year anywhere, although it might take 40 pounds of clothing in 12 layers in some wintry climates...

The Rwandan has my vote, out of those mentioned so far.

TRENDING THREADS