• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pro with most unlikely place of origin ?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Little trivia question here; most riders come from just a few countries, I am curious, which cyclist made it to the pro ranks from the most remote or unlikely place of origin ? A place like the Mauritius, the Falklands or St Helens- not just a place of birth, but more where growing up and getting into cycling before moving to the continent.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:
Little trivia question here; most riders come from just a few countries, I am curious, which cyclist made it to the pro ranks from the most remote or unlikely place of origin ? A place like the Mauritius, the Falklands or St Helens- not just a place of birth, but more where growing up and getting into cycling before moving to the continent.

David Millar was born in Malta and grew up in Hong Kong

Abdu' the Tashkent Terror:

tas_usd_uk_-cheap-flights-to-tashkent-airport-map-prices.gif

... though no further from anywhere else really than Astana ;-)

RMO's Mauro Ribeiro was from Curitiba:

200px-Curitiba_Map.gif

A

Anonymous

Cavendish and Kennaugh - isle of man, population 80,000

Does that qualify

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Adrien Niyonshuti.

Ok - not a famous name, but he has an amazing story as he is from Rwamagana in Rwanda - he is 23 and currently rides Pro for the MTN Energade team based out of South Africa.

6 of his brothers were killed during the Rwanda Genocide of 1994.

Here is Adrien riding in last Augusts Tour of Ireland on the legendary St. Patrick's Hill.
fawht1.jpg

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Adrien Niyonshuti.

Ok - not a famous name, but he has an amazing story as he is from Rwamagana in Rwanda - he is 23 and currently rides Pro for the MTN Energade team based out of South Africa.

6 of his brothers were killed during the Rwanda Genocide of 1994.

Here is Adrien riding in last Augusts Tour of Ireland on the legendary St. Patrick's Hill.
fawht1.jpg

wow, that is a good one

Abdu I believe was a product of a soviet system which was designed to identify and elevate sporting talents for propoganda purposes- I think I read he was living basically broke in italy now.

He's not broke, he's done pretty well for himself I have heard.

Laszlo said:
wow, that is a good one

Abdu I believe was a product of a soviet system which was designed to identify and elevate sporting talents for propoganda purposes- I think I read he was living basically broke in italy now.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Hairy Wheels said:
He's not broke, he's done pretty well for himself I have heard.
Hehe....you sure??

No-one appears to know.

There was this excellent 2 part article written on CN about Abdoujaparov back in 2008 - at the time it appears no-one knew what he was doing and Abdu didn't want anyone to know what he was doing.

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
bobbins said:
Paul Sherwen was born in Kenya but more recently has been sharing residence with Phil Liggett in the lower colon of a Texas based pro cyclist. A pretty unlikely origin and destination.

Good effort mate - Top of the class thread derailment to the usual subject :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS