• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Problem with creaking handlebars!!

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
I ride a 2006 Giant TCR. Last year i decided to make a few adjustments to the bike, so i bought a set of BBB Carbon Bars and Stem to match. Over the past month or two i have increased my training as i'm doing the Etape in July. However, lately, when i am climbing, and need to get out of the saddle, there is a bad creaking noise coming from the bars. Does anybody know how to fix this without having to purchase a new set?
Cheers
KINGDOMLAD

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Since they're carbon you need Assembly compound to be applied on the spot where the carbon bars clamp on to the stem. You don't need much but just a small dab on the area where the contact is. The easiest place to get it is where you bought the bars (assuming not online) if on line then you'll have to buy some from somebody or borrow some from a friend. Its the best thing for carbon to other matterial mating even carbon to carbon.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Kingdomlad said:
Hi,
I ride a 2006 Giant TCR. Last year i decided to make a few adjustments to the bike, so i bought a set of BBB Carbon Bars and Stem to match. Over the past month or two i have increased my training as i'm doing the Etape in July. However, lately, when i am climbing, and need to get out of the saddle, there is a bad creaking noise coming from the bars. Does anybody know how to fix this without having to purchase a new set?
Cheers
KINGDOMLAD

Could be the bars but check the headset(overhaul, grease between the bearings and headtube) and also the front wheel. Ksyriums hubs are famously noisy..if ya have those. The suggestion for carbon paste is a good one.