• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Procycling's Fab Four

May 6, 2009
Visit site
In the latest issue of Procycling Magazine (FYI to the people who live in Australia, it is not out yet, I subscribe, so for those who do read it, best not to read from this point on, I do apologise in advance).

It was:

1/ Fredrik Kessiakoff
2/ Tiago Machado
3/ Rein Taaramae
4/ Arthur Vichot

Who would you pick or would you keep it as it is?

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
In the latest issue of Procycling Magazine (FYI to the people who live in Australia, it is not out yet, I subscribe, so for those who do read it, best not to read from this point on, I do apologise in advance).

It was:

1/ Fredrik Kessiakoff
2/ Tiago Machado
3/ Rein Taaramae
4/ Arthur Vichot

Vichot...... is a sensation, but not for his riding, more for just turning up! good kid tho.

Why the hell isnt Sagan on that list!!!!!

I'd put Leigh Howard on my list as well.

A

Anonymous

The Australian Maher/Mayer(?) brothers.

And Jack Bauer's looking decent at Endura.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Hibbles said:
The Australian Maher/Mayer(?) brothers.

And Jack Bauer's looking decent at Endura.

Cameron and Travis Mayer. Between them got the Aussie TT and RR wraped up nicely.

Keith&bike.gif

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Can someone explain the Freddy Kessiakoff hype to me? I had never heard of the guy until he showed up on Garmin's roster this year.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Agree about Bauer, what races is he doing this season?

The Meyer bros are both strong. This is Cams second Pro year, is he eligible for the fab four?

Interesting side note.... Two weeks ago I rocked up to my local crit to find both Meyers, Howard, Brobridge, Rohan Dennis, Durbridge and the rest of the Australian Endurance track team were waiting to race....... It sucked, hard. those kids are good.

craig1985 said:

It was:

1/ Fredrik Kessiakoff
2/ Tiago Machado
3/ Rein Taaramae
4/ Arthur Vichot

Fab 4? What's this about? What's the criteria?

Jamsque said:
Can someone explain the Freddy Kessiakoff hype to me? I had never heard of the guy until he showed up on Garmin's roster this year.

He was a very good MTBer who switched to road last year. Perhaps not the palmares to match Evans when he made the switch but Kessiakoff was certainly world class.

Then last year he did a good season for it being his first on the road. Nothing earth shattering but very solid.

Is there alot of hype around him though? I know that the swedish fans are interested in seeing what he could do because mens cycling in sweden is looking a little thinner than in a while but I don't know if there is any huge reason for the international community to hype him that much.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:

Ex MTB. Rode for Fuji Servetto last season.

53 x 11 said:
Agree about Bauer, what races is he doing this season?

The Meyer bros are both strong. This is Cams second Pro year, is he eligible for the fab four?

Interesting side note.... Two weeks ago I rocked up to my local crit to find both Meyers, Howard, Brobridge, Rohan Dennis, Durbridge and the rest of the Australian Endurance track team were waiting to race....... It sucked, hard. those kids are good.

Bauser just rode the Tour of Murcia. Cam Meyer should be eligible, as Machado has been racing as a pro for several seasons for lowly Portuguese teams.

FYI, everything that isso has told us of him appears in the magazine article on him.

ingsve said:
Fab 4? What's this about? What's the criteria?

Procycling magazine every year picks out for four cyclists to keep an eye out on. Usually neo pros, or guys getting their first big opportunity. Past riders include Cunego (the year he won the Giro), Danielson (IIRC when he signed for Fassa Bortolo), Tony Martin (2009), Greg van Avermaet (2008), Thomas Lövkvist (or however you spell it, my computer is not fluent in Swedish :p), Yauheni Hutarovich (sprinter from Belarus who came in dead last at the Tour last year), Jakob Fuglsang (2009), Linus Gerdemann, Heinrich Haussler (2006), Gerald Ciolek (2006).

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Boonen qualifies as a young up-and-comer, Andrichuk.

Theo Bos is a good shout though, I would expect him to notch up a few more wins this year. He seems to be in a similar place to where Cav was a couple of years back, he has that same blistering track speed, but like Cav I'd expect him to lose some of it as he adjusts physiologically to longer races and getting over climbs.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
There's only one Fab Four to me: John, Paul, George and Ringo!

:D seriously, greatest band ever.

I like Taaramae a lot, he impressed more then most at least year's vuelta. But yeah not much of a fab four, considering some the youth out there.

EBH, Kruziger, Gesink, Boom etc

also- kritsky > sicard.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
In hindsight I might throw Jens Keukeleire in the mix...

I am intrigued by him, he's perhaps not the fastest guy in the world but three podium finishes in three days at West-Vlaanderen is impressive. I hope Cofidis keeps him on their squad for the rest of the cobbled classics.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
:D seriously, greatest band ever.

I like Taaramae a lot, he impressed more then most at least year's vuelta. But yeah not much of a fab four, considering some the youth out there.

EBH, Kruziger, Gesink, Boom etc

also- kritsky > sicard.

EBH, Kruziger, Gesink, Boom are all, so to speak, "established" riders. As I understand, Procycling usually tries to point at those who are not so well known to general public.

Taaramae is promising. He is same age as EBH, younger than Gesink, Boom or Kreuziger. I remember him at last years Pais Vasco, when at one climb Taaramae was the only one able to follow Contador and Samuel Sanchez, when Schlecks and Evans got dropped.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
^ yeah I figured.

luckyboy said:
Sicard
Taaramae
Uran
Costa
Kritsky

Reus and Mollema too..

mollema is definitely someone to watch, hasn't had the best of luck the last two years tho. Speaking of bad luck, reus just can't get a break.

BTW I pretty much agree with your list.

TRENDING THREADS