• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

prolight vs ionos in the tour

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed that after wearing the new giro "prolight" helmet for a couple of stages, a number of the riders including Lance, fellow teammates and garmin riders have switched back to their "ionos" helmets.

Anyone know why???

Thanks.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
advancing helmet technology is a joke to me... they're just debuting a new one in the tour so club cycling enthusiests with too much money on their hands will drop another $200 on some styrafoam covered in plastic.

my guess is either 1) giro didn't give the guys enough helmets (they probably change from day to day) or 2) the ionos was better/cooler. the holes in the new prolight look small. it actually looks like one of their entry-level models, imo.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
d'accorde

i think you are right....probably not as cool as the ionos.

I also think the strap on the back of the prolight looks like it must be annoying.

aesthetically i don't think they look bad....I think the design flows a little better than the ionos or th atmos....I've always disliked the flat "carbon" sections of those helmets.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:
advancing helmet technology is a joke to me... they're just debuting a new one in the tour so club cycling enthusiests with too much money on their hands will drop another $200 on some styrafoam covered in plastic.

I agree the only thing worse than helmet marketing/hype/pricing is the luxury pricing of oakleys, i race on bikes that cost less!

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
A few riders persisted with the Prolight through the mountain stages (presumably because of the light weight) but on the Champs Elysees I don't think I saw a single Giro-sponsored rider wearing the new helmet. Hardly a great advert for Giro's new creation ...

TRENDING THREADS