• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Public Shaming of athletes?

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
If I felt that enough cheats were being caught, then maybe. As it is, the punishments currently on offer are serious enough that anyone who seriously thought they were going to be caught wouldn't do it, in my opinion. I think this would just be one more hollow incentive that says "The crime is not doping, the crime is getting caught". For as long as the vast majority of cheats get away free, I don't think further demonising those who happened to get caught serves much purpose.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
From the article:

Imagine the effect if, in June, the riders competing in the 2012 Tour were forced to race down the Champs-Elysees, whizzing past statues of disgraced former winners?

I think it would be more effective if the statues were used as road furniture in the prologue.