• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Purito Performance

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
To me, Purito's performance in the Vuelta, to date, is one of the greatest I've witnessed in a Grand Tour. His climbing abilities are unequaled and must rival anyone in the history of the sport. If he is able to sustain this, it will have to go down as one of the greatest displays of pure athleticism and endurance in recent memory,particularly given the significant difficulty of the parcours. In my estimation, the Vuelta is far and and away the most challenging Grand Tour this year. The next two days will be telling.

rrj1170 said:
To me, Purito's performance in the Vuelta, to date, is one of the greatest I've witnessed in a Grand Tour. His climbing abilities are unequaled and must rival anyone in the history of the sport. If he is able to sustain this, it will have to go down as one of the greatest displays of pure athleticism and endurance in recent memory,particularly given the significant difficulty of the parcours. In my estimation, the Vuelta is far and and away the most challenging Grand Tour this year. The next two days will be telling.

Yeah, right:rolleyes:. He pulled for the first time with a massive 1 km to go. I'm not saying he's not in the shape of his life, but all he's doing is an upgraded version of his trademark 1km attacks

rrj1170 said:

How long have you followed pro cycling?

May 2, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
If Gilbert was Spanish and in last year's form he would've won this year. :eek:

And with that I mean the Vuelta organizers are biased as hell.

I prefer it to the Tour. Don't mind about the bias, just love a good show.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
benzwire said:
How long have you followed pro cycling?
30 years. Note that my opinion is somewhat qualified. If he takes the next two stages and the del Mundo, there is no question this rivals anyone's climbing performance in a Grand Tour.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
rrj1170 said:

HAHAHA LOL. The Vuelta is the Grand Tour of the "Muritos" . The Vuelta is the perfect design for Purito. Only one climb stages of 120-150 kms. Purito is an uphill finisher, climber of three final kilometres. In a route with stage mountains of 200 kms and four or five ascents with 5000 kilometres of unevennesses he sucks. We'll see it in the Cuitu Negru stage. He was second in the worst Giro D'Italia i remenber. Hesjedal beats him, this "amazing" climber who never win anything in his life except a stage of the Vuelta.. His opponents were a Scarponi and Basso near to the retirement. Thats the truth. In the TDF he wouldnt have done anything. Then you talk about history. What a bad joke. Only
remenber the Giro D'Italia 2011. This is his level. Sorry for my english.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Peccio89 said:
i think if you change the word climbing with uphill sprinting you might be right.

Can you explain if these numbers are climbing or uphill sprinting?

vetooo‏@ammattipyoraily

Puerto de Ancares (last 9 km, 8.2 %, 738 m). Joaquim Rodriguez: 25 min 48 sec, 20.93 Kph, VAM 1716 m/h, 6.09 W/kg. #vuelta2012

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
icefire said:
Can you explain if these numbers are climbing or uphill sprinting?

7 riders within a minute gap says it all, obviously mine was an hyperbole, but if you want to be even considered among the greatest climber you need an attack going on for at least 10 km.

And i'm not continuing because clearly we have in mind totally different ideas of what a GT should look like, and what an entartaining GT is.

Rebellin would have rocked on this parcours too by the way

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Peccio89 said:
7 riders within a minute gap says it all, obviously mine was an hyperbole, but if you want to be even considered among the greatest climber you need an attack going on for at least 10 km.

And i'm not continuing because clearly we have in mind totally different ideas of what a GT should look like, and what an entartaining GT is.

Rebellin would have rocked on this parcours too by the way

I don't think that anyone's ideas of what a GT should be has anything to with the fact that standard deviation w.r.t. average climbing has narrowed a bit in recent years and there is a lack of outliers ;)

Jason_Mercier said:
And in the Tour and Vuelta 2010? Was sick too? What about the last year Vuelta?
2010 Tour - first GT as leader of Katusha, 3rd on Tourmalet, let down by 52 km flat TT with headwind
2010 Vuelta - leader of the race, lost the lead in windy 46 km flat TT
2011 Vuelta - as everyone else who rode the insane Giro 2011 (Nibali, Anton, Scarponi, Krujswijk) was below par

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Best climber? Not even close.

So far he has shown that he is climbing very well and is nearly unbeatable in the last 1-2km on the climbs. It may very well be enough to win the Vuelta due to a favorable course for him and the bonus seconds.

If Contador can launch a sustained attack with more than 2-3km to go then Rodriguez will have a very hard time. But I'm not sure Contador will be able to do it. Maybe he will never been in that kind of shape again.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Jason_Mercier said:
I could see how Rodriguez rode for his own for example in L'Angliru. No worked.

Valverde had lost all his chances for the overall going back to the car for a raincoat a few days before.

Futuroscope said:
to win the Vuelta due to a favorable course for him and the bonus seconds.

If Contador can launch a sustained attack with more than 2-3km to go then Rodriguez will have a very hard time. But I'm not sure Contador will be able to do it. Maybe he will never been in that kind of shape again.

It's almost like you all want me to be depressed. How am I supposed to be optimistic when I read this sort of posts all the time.

TRENDING THREADS