• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Purito Performance

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
There's an argument for him being the strongest climber right at the moment. Because the most obvious 2 candidates are there in Spain and he's matching and outfinishing them.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Futuroscope said:
Best climber? Not even close.

So far he has shown that he is climbing very well and is nearly unbeatable in the last 1-2km on the climbs. It may very well be enough to win the Vuelta due to a favorable course for him and the bonus seconds

And thats all.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
While I wouldn't agree that Purito's performance in this vuelta is one of the greatest to date, I would agree that his performance so far has been very impressive. And his performance so far has been the greatest performance he has ever had in a grand tour.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
It's almost like you all want me to be depressed. How am I supposed to be optimistic when I read this sort of posts all the time.

I want Contador to win too but I'm just trying to be realistic. Contador has been out for a long time and with less doping it's much more difficult to launch sustained attacks. This has benefited riders such as Rodriguez.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Futuroscope said:
Best climber? Not even close.

So far he has shown that he is climbing very well and is nearly unbeatable in the last 1-2km on the climbs. It may very well be enough to win the Vuelta due to a favorable course for him and the bonus seconds.

If Contador can launch a sustained attack with more than 2-3km to go then Rodriguez will have a very hard time. But I'm not sure Contador will be able to do it. Maybe he will never been in that kind of shape again.

It seems that you are using an ideal to decide who is the best climber but no rider in the race is up to that ideal of your "ifs" and "woulds".

Best climber in general terms? No way. Best climber of the race? I haven't seen anyone better so far. And that's enough for him to keep the lead.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
icefire said:
It seems that you are using an ideal to decide who is the best climber but no rider in the race is up to that ideal of your "ifs" and "woulds".

Best climber in general terms? No way. Best climber of the race? I haven't seen anyone better so far. And that's enough for him to keep the lead.

Please don't put words in my mouth. Read the initial post in this thread.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
The best climbers of the race are Contador, Valverde and Froome. The first is the best climber of the last seven years. The one who ****ed Purito in the Giro 2011. The second was the leader of Purito for many years and won the Vuelta in 2009. The third is the new Bjarne Riijs, but as he showed in the TDF maybe is the second best climber of the international peloton. The reasons for the Purito's dominance are that the route benefits him and his three opponents are out of shape. Contador was out six months, Valverde arrived at the Vuelta with a lot of days of competition also after the TDF and Froome come from the Tour too.

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
roundabout said:
He has become much better as a complete GT rider. It also seems that major action begins later and later in the stages so riders like Rodriguez don't need to respond to attacks or limit losses for more than 3-4 kms. Suits him well with his finish.

Afrank said:
While I wouldn't agree that Purito's performance in this vuelta is one of the greatest to date, I would agree that his performance so far has been very impressive. And his performance so far has been the greatest performance he has ever had in a grand tour.

Amen to that.

Jason_Mercier said:
The reasons for the Purito's dominance are that the route benefits him and his three opponents are out of shape.
Gotta love these excuses :D Purito has been the best because he came prepared, plus he's been the smartest tactically. Still I think Contador can win with the form he has if he times his attack better, and Purito might find himself in a bad day, like he's been in the past.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Purito = chronically underrated

People talk about him like he's purely a puncheur like Gilbert or something, after riding to numerous top tens in GTs. If he wins this Vuelta even that will be dismissed :mad:

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
This is Froome's reality. He think his rivals are better than the ones in the Tour. :eek:

"Los rivales aquí son más fuertes que en el Tour, más explosivos”

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=55080

My english is so bad. But i understood what means "his rivals are better than the ones in the Tour" You dont have to translate it :D:D Seriously, i think Froome forget that he isnt the guy of the Tour. But yes, here is Contador, Valverde, Purito ...

Jason_Mercier said:
My english is so bad. But i understood what means "his rivals are better than the ones in the Tour" You dont have to translate it :D:D Seriously, i think Froome forget that he isnt the guy of the Tour. But yes, here is Contador, Valverde, Purito ...
Oh I see, your real name is Joaquin Mercenario, right? You're not Frenchie. :D

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Jason_Mercier said:

Froome should know what the numbers on his power meter tell him, but it seems he deals quite well with interviews

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
taiwan said:
People talk about him like he's purely a puncheur like Gilbert or something, after riding to numerous top tens in GTs. If he wins this Vuelta even that will be dismissed :mad:

Gilbert is a much more complete cyclist than Jrod.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
xbmhc4.jpg

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Gilbert is a much more complete cyclist than Jrod.

I couldn't think of a one-dimensional puncheur as an example. Gerrans? Anyway Purito > Gilbert in the high mountains, you get the idea.

TRENDING THREADS