• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Qatar - stage 5 - Lusail - Madinat Al Shamal Distance: 142 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

theyoungest said:
Yes they did, because EBH did a straight sprint and Napolitano swerved all over the place. But EBH started from Napolitano's wheel.

But in a sprint all sorts of riders start in all sorts of wheels. if he had stuck to Napolitano like glue and they had finished 6th and 7th he'd look like a fool. Its easy in retrospect to say who should follow who but very different in a sprint.,

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Bos went way too early, otherwise again he showed good speed.
Boonen's win showed his class.

Good to get an idea of how Theo Bos is going. Looked like he went far too early yesterday as well, but apparently he was meant to be leading Haussler out. If Haussler was angry yesterday, he'll be raging today that they still haven't managed to get a stage of this race, considering how close they've come. I'm still finding it pretty hard to spot the jerseys at the moment (although the camera angle didn't help). Anyone else? Who was that on Bos' wheel when he opened the sprint?

Thanks for the video, by the way.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Bos went way too early, otherwise again he showed good speed.

On (Dutch) Eurosport, Jeroen Blijlevens was saying it was such great timing by him.
If the Milram guy wouldn't have chased his wheel and suffer his own chances Bos would have been gone.
I also thought he went too early, but if he figured he wasn't gonna beat Boonen and Napo in the last 100m it might not have been such a dumb move after all.
I mean, Blijlevens knows a bunchsprint :)

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Bos is really in good form. Boonen is able to turn over a 54x12 with very little effort. Watching what he does to the bottom bracket is punishing. Those bikes are unbreakable

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Never, was so much written, by so few............
........over a 3rd place!:D

Could get really hectic around here, when he actually wins.;)

Oh, come on! You're as excited as anybody, you're just playing hard to get. :p
The speed with which EBH advances on that last stretch was fascinating. A few more metres and he'd have won.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Well, lets talk about the winner then. Quickstep did a good job at the end and Tom B... man, where'd he come from? Nice to see Tom showing great form. One of the class acts of cycling IMO.

Screw all this TDF talk about AC, LA, etc. Bring on the classics baby and show us the true ironmen of cycling.

Does anyone know who was announcing the Eurosport clip? Can I listen to them instead of Paul and Phil? PLEASE??????

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
hektoren said:
fascinating. A few more metres and he'd have won.

A few less KM's and Oss would have won.

BS discussion. The finish is where it is.

richwagmn said:
Screw all this TDF talk about AC, LA, etc. Bring on the classics baby and show us the true ironmen of cycling.

Amen to that.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Not Riding Enough said:
Thanks very much. I now no longer read this thread until I see your vid.

Great commentary , as usual from Shagnus Bedstedt. If he'd only stayed on the boike and Finitshed the race, fifteen stone hitting the tarmac grates badly on the skin.

A

Anonymous

Bala Verde said:
In case it hasn't been posted already, eurosport last 5km
it has, but it was pages ago, lost in the midsts of time somewhere.. its the teamskyfans feed that steephill are using this week cos we are recording all the sky races in english. should have left it running longer for the overhead shots though..

May 25, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Does anyone know who was announcing the Eurosport clip? Can I listen to them instead of Paul and Phil? PLEASE??????

Be careful what you wish for. Carlton Kirby is awful, doesn't seem to understand the racing at all.

Magnus Backstedt is OK, though.

A

Anonymous

William H said:
Be careful what you wish for. Carlton Kirby is awful, doesn't seem to understand the racing at all.

Magnus Backstedt is OK, though.

They are both better than paul and Phil. I can withouth an hour a day on bloody LA thank you very much..

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
A few less KM's and Oss would have won.

BS discussion. The finish is where it is.

Amen to that.

it's not a discussion, though, is it? Pulling Mellow Velo's leg, I mean!
Of course the finish is where it is! But looking at the finish several times over reveals the fact that EBH, not jumping off anybody's wheel has a max speed clearly surpassing that of Boonen. Shouldn't people that's enthusiastic about Team Sky rejoice about that? Of course we do! The king is dead, long live the king! (In case you misunderstand: That latter part is indeed irony)

A

Anonymous

hektoren said:
Of course the finish is where it is! But looking at the finish several times over reveals the fact that EBH, not jumping off anybody's wheel has a max speed clearly surpassing that of Boonen. Shouldn't people that's enthusiastic about Team Sky rejoice about that? Of course we do! The king is dead, long live the king! (In case you misunderstand: That latter part is indeed irony)

its not so much rejoicing at his speed, as revelling in auscycle fans predition that there are at least 30 people faster than ebh proving to be codswallop :D

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
hektoren said:

It's much easier to look superfast in a headwind sprint if you never actually have clear air in front of you.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
it has, but it was pages ago, lost in the midsts of time somewhere.. its the teamskyfans feed that steephill are using this week cos we are recording all the sky races in english. should have left it running longer for the overhead shots though..

That's what I thought when the clip stopped! A sprint in the sandbox is so fast that a slomo helicopter shot is often helpful to disentangle the the mass from the sprinters...

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Pulling legs? I thought that was my job!;)
Talking of which, enough of fast Eddy.
Did Taylor Phinney finish ahead of Tom Boonan, today, or is CN going to have to come up with a new angle?:rolleyes:

You could frame it like: "Taylor Phinney outsprinted Pippo Pozzato", or "Daniele Bennati", today.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Pulling legs? I thought that was my job!;)
Talking of which, enough of fast Eddy.
Did Taylor Phinney finish ahead of Tom Boonan, today, or is CN going to have to come up with a new angle?:rolleyes:

he was giving the others a chance

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
its not so much rejoicing at his speed, as revelling in auscycle fans predition that there are at least 30 people faster than ebh proving to be codswallop :D

+3 :D:D
I saw EBH live in ToB last year, as well as in 2 o´eight, and I'm a convert, come auscycle, MV or whatever.
I've found a nice video of him (thanks to a couple of norwegian friends) at http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/indeks/187990
,showing what EBH used to do since age 12, going 3 km uphill from school every day, giving an indication of his technical prowess and control. The more technical the track in front of him is, the more he'll shine. Admitted, it's a thing most guys in the peloton probably could do if pressed, but Edvald did it day-in day-out for a lot of years. (Hope people outside of Norway can see the film. Beware, though, the TV-presenter is the other side of ugly).

A

Anonymous

hektoren said:
+3 :D:D
I saw EBH live in ToB last year, as well as in 2 o´eight, and I'm a convert, come auscycle, MV or whatever.
I've found a nice video of him (thanks to a couple of norwegian friends) at http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/indeks/187990
,showing what EBH used to do since age 12, going 3 km uphill from school every day, giving an indication of his technical prowess and control. The more technical the track in front of him is, the more he'll shine. Admitted, it's a thing most guys in the peloton probably could do if pressed, but Edvald did it day-in day-out for a lot of years. (Hope people outside of Norway can see the film. Beware, though, the TV-presenter is the other side of ugly).

good clip that..

promptly stolen :D

TRENDING THREADS