• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Qatar Worlds 2016

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
For The World said:
I still don't understand why you'd want to have a world championships in a place that is so hostile to outsiders (arguably more so than China, and if you look closely, you'll see it's true) and is such a car centric society, which doesn't have much of a sporting culture at all.

I thought that on page 1 of the thread then reached your post.Nothing further to add. $$$

Deagol said:
where is that proposed rival cycling leabgue when we need it ?
Would love to see large scale defections from the UCI right now.

Yeah,the fat drunk is trying to do as much damage as possible before he gets forced out, i am still scandalized by him moving Lombardia for Beijing,does this numbskull have no f*****g respect.Now its Qatar for the Worlds,what next Paris-Roubaix moved to August in Brazil? :mad:

El Pistolero said:
If Pat stays in power I fear the WC will never visit any of the traditional cycling countries ever again.

Last few WC hosts have been stupid and corrupt(Qatar/USA).

2017 will probably be Monaco, 120 laps of 2km. :eek:

Yeah, poor Belgium. Has to make do with just, Eneco, 90% of the cobbled classics, Fleche, Ronde van Vlaanderen, Liege Bastogne Liege, a visit from the Tour every other year, as well as many smaller 1 day, 3 day and week long races.

How will the sport ever survive there

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
You're trying to create a cycling culture in Qatar? Good luck. Glad you're not in charge either then.

Perhaps Belgium or France should hire Pat's brother to organize their WC.

You either have no clue of cycling or flat out hate the sport if you make a post like that lol.

We have 5 WT races, not sure why you're so **** hurt of that. 5 days of WT racing in Belgium, big deal. A Grand Tour is already 3 weeks.

El Pistolero said:
You're trying to create a cycling culture in Qatar? Good luck. Glad you're not in charge either then.

Perhaps Belgium or France should hire Pat's brother to organize their WC.

You either have no clue of cycling or flat our hate the sport if you make a post like that lol.

We have 5 WT races, not sure why you're so **** hurt of that.

You said the idea of a WC in the USA was "stupid", and im "hating our sport" when i disagree?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It's stupid when you know who was behind the bid of Richmond. Other countries never had a fair chance. Other then that I have no problem with a WC in the USA. I'm actually surprised Pat Mcquaid has 2 WT stage races in China, but zero in the USA... Should be the other way around. I don't think anyone would complain about the Tour of California becoming World Tour if it meant the Chinese stage races wouldn't go through.

El Pistolero said:
We have 5 WT races, not sure why you're so **** hurt of that. 5 days of WT racing in Belgium, big deal. A Grand Tour is already 3 weeks.

This year you had GW, e3, ronde, fleche, liege, 3 days of the Tour de France and 3 (?) days of Eneco.

I count that as 11 days of wt racing. Considering you have about 11 million people and each country which hosts a grand tour has at least 40, id say that is quite something.

El Pistolero said:
It's stupid when you know who was behind the bid of Richmond. Other countries never had a fair chance. Other then that I have no problem with a WC in the USA. I'm actually surprised Pat Mcquaid has 2 WT stage races in China, but zero in the USA... Should be the other way around. I don't think anyone would complain about the Tour of California becoming World Tour if it meant the Chinese stage races wouldn't go through.

So i "flat out hate the sport" because....

Absolutely the world championships should be held around the world. They are the world championships and the only big race the UCI can move around to all these different places. I dont want to see them doing France, Belgium Spain or Italy as these countries already have huge races, which i can see every year.

I want children from other countries to be able to see our sport at its highest level too, even if only for a day, and maybe they will fall in love like i did.

No need to be greedy, let others have a go too :eek:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Eneco Tour is as Dutch as it gets, it's a replacement race for the old Ronde van Nederland. Don't know why it needs to go through Belgium, I guess it would be even more boring without Belgium. It's sponsored by the Dutch anyway. I don't care for it, only the Muur stage is decent.

Don't worry, we don't get yearly Tour starts. ;) Last time was in 2004(excluding this year).

And no the World Championships do not need to be held in every country of the world. Only when there's a potential cycling market and a singly day of racing won't improve anything in that country anyway. UCI would need to create 2.2, 2.1, 2.HC, 1.2, 1.1 and 1.HC races in those countries if they're serious about globalizing cycling. After a couple of years you could then upgrade the most popular races to WT status. They're just in it for the money sadly. Why else do they go to China or Qatar where there's zero interest in cycling. Do you really think a kid wants to ride a bike in Qatar when it's 40 degrees outside? I've seen more oil sheikhs during the Tour of Qatar than kids cheering alongside the road or at the finish.

You make it sound like Belgium gets to be host of the WC every time while in fact it will have been 15 years ago in 2017. France 17 years ago! You're right about Italy, since 1999 they have had 3 WC events. 2 of which were in the same city.

If cycling wants to grow outside of Europe we need winners outside of Europe. When did cycling become big in GB? When Cavendish won the WC and when Bradley won the Tour de France. I'm sure Canadian cycling also got a boost with Ryder Hesjedal's victory at the Giro d'Italia. If you want winners outside of Europe you need to create a decent U23 cycling structure to develop talented cyclists. Not a freaking WC event... GB and Australia have a good U23 cycling structure in place right now and it's paying off.

El Pistolero said:
You make it sound like Belgium gets to be host of the WC every time while in fact it will have been 15 years ago in 2017. France 17 years ago! You're right about Italy, since 1999 they have had 3 WC events. 2 of which were in the same city.

No i didn't. I don't care how many times.or when these.countries had worlds thy get plenty of other races so i want worldssomewhere else.

Even more than usual you are arguing with yourself in this thread.

If cycling wants to grow outside of Europe we need winners outside of Europe. When did pcycling become big in GB? When Cavendish won the WC and when Bradley won the Tour de France. I'm sure Canadian cycling also got a boost with Ryder Hesjedal's victory at the Giro d'Italia. If you want winners outside of Europe you need to create a decent U23 cycling structure to develop talented cyclists. Not a freaking WC event... GB and Australia have a good U23 cycling structure in place right now and it's paying off

A long rant but no.coherent argument. Belgium and not the US or Japan or Colombia should get the worlds because...?

And please stop spamming that cycling is big in the UK. Its not.

Nor.is US going to start liking cycling no.matter what they win. Country roads is nonetheless a great place to hold the worlds. Lets see what the roads and hills and fans are like there.

I already know what they are like in Belgium and if i forget, spring is only a few months away.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind the worlds going outside of traditional cycling countries, but there should be some minimum requirement regarding local cycling development over a sustained period.
Malaysia would be a much better choice as far as mondialisation.At least they have have cyclists and cycling fans.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
No i didn't. I don't care how many times.or when these.countries had worlds thy get plenty of other races so i want worldssomewhere else.

Even more than usual you are arguing with yourself in this thread.

A long rant but no.coherent argument. Belgium and not the US or Japan or Colombia should get the worlds because...?

Nor.is US going to start liking cycling no.matter what they win. Country roads is nonetheless a great place to hold the worlds. Lets see what the roads and hills and fans are like there.

I already know what they are like in Belgium and if i forget, spring is only a few months away.

Japan and Colombia have gotten the Worlds already. In the last 22 years Belgium, Japan and Colombia have gotten the WC once. You still don't make any sense. Cycling is a sport where tradition is very important and that will always remain so. This is the reason why stage races like Tour Down Under, Tour de Beijing and Tour de Pologne will never be prestigious. You don't know what the roads are like in Belgium, you've never even watched the Omloop het Nieuwsblad lol.

Why should a country host the Worlds where there are no cycling fans? It will be great advertisement for our sport to see zero crowds alonside the road... :rolleyes:

You're the one arguing to yourself here. Most people in this thread don't like the idea of a WC being hosted in Qatar.
And if you can't see that cycling is bigger than ever before in the UK and Australia then I'm not sure what you're expecting lol.

London just organised the Olympic road race, we know what the fans are like.

There's a thing called balance and if done right you can host the WC in both traditional and new cycling countries. There's no need to avoid the countries where cycling was born as a sport. I don't care about other WT races, this is a discussion about the World Championships. Not the World Tour.

Whether you like it or not, this is a predominantly Western sport(Europe, Australia and USA).

http://www.nusport.nl/thijs-zonneveld/2912886/don-mcquaid.html

You might want to read up on Pat Mcquaid.

El Pistolero said:
Japan and Colombia have gotten the Worlds already. In the last 22 years Belgium, Japan and Colombia have gotten the WC once. You still don't make any sense. Cycling is a sport where tradition is very important and that will always remain so. This is the reason why stage races like Tour Down Under, Tour de Beijing and Tour de Pologne will never be prestigious. You don't know what the roads are like in Belgium, you've never even watched the Omloop het Nieuwsblad lol.

Why should a country host the Worlds where there are no cycling fans? It will be great advertisement for our sport to see zero crowds alonside the road... :rolleyes:

You're the one arguing to yourself here. Most people in this thread don't like the idea of a WC being hosted in Qatar.
And if you can't see that cycling is bigger than ever before in the UK and Australia then I'm not sure what you're expecting lol.

London just organised the Olympic road race, we know what the fans are like.

There's a thing called balance and if done right you can host the WC in both traditional and new cycling countries. There's no need to avoid the countries where cycling was born as a sport. I don't care about other WT races, this is a discussion about the World Championships. Not the World Tour.

Whether you like it or not, this is a predominantly Western sport(Europe, Australia and USA).

http://www.nusport.nl/thijs-zonneveld/2912886/don-mcquaid.html

You might want to read up on Pat Mcquaid.

Im not arguing with myself. I respond to your points. You meanwhile are all over the place going on rants against hundreds of points i never made.

For example, you said

When did pcycling become big in GB

I said that it is not big. It gets absolutely 0 coverage or newspaper space.

Then you come out with this.

And if you can't see that cycling is bigger than ever before in the UK and Australia then I'm not sure what you're expecting lol

You change the goalposts completely and have a very patronizing rant at me for "not being able to see" that cycling is "bigger than ever" in the UK, and also for some reason tag Australia on as well as if i had been making comments about the progress of the sport there.

When did i say that cycling is not "bigger than ever" in the Uk and Australia right now?

Youve just let loose a no holds barred attack on me for the simple reason that you were incapable of reading and understanding a basically structured sentence.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
One wonders how the Brits found out Bradley Wiggins won the Tour with absolutely zero coverage and no mention at all in the newspapers. :rolleyes:

This was a discussion about the Qatar and Richmond bid being stupid and corrupt. Then you started whining about how Belgium has so many races. That's what we call moving the goalposts completely.

Of course I think it's time for Belgium or France to organize a WC again. Cycling was born in these regions and asking for one WC every 15 years is not overdoing it. That's my opinion and I honestly couldn't give a crap about someone elses opinion when he claims to know the Belgian roads yet never saw the Omloop het Nieuwsblad.

I doubt you ever saw GP de Wallonie either, so you wouldn't really know de roads of Namur all that well either. But that's coming from the guy that thinks only cities of at least one million citizens should be Tour hosts. :rolleyes:

Cycling is a sport about history and tradition, not about how many people live in a city or country.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
One wonders how the Brits found out Bradley Wiggins won the Tour with absolutely zero coverage and no mention at all in the newspapers. :rolleyes:

Coverage of cycling in the bigger races is getting better in Britain in the more quality newspapers, dunno what Brit newspapers you look at, like probably the Daily Star or Daily Mail or some such garbage papers as those.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Descender said:
Can't be bothered to look for the other thread, but it's not looking pretty for Ponferrada 2014... maybe Qatar as plan B in 2014 too? :eek:

Or the United Arabian Emirates. :eek:

Actually, that would be pretty cool.

Descender said:
Can't be bothered to look for the other thread, but it's not looking pretty for Ponferrada 2014... maybe Qatar as plan B in 2014 too? :eek:

I read somewhere (I think procycling.no) that Bergen could still host the 2016 WC if Ponferrada have to give it away. In that case it would be Qatar 2014 and Bergen 2016.

El Pistolero said:

This was a discussion about the Qatar and Richmond bid being stupid and corrupt. Then you started whining about how Belgium has so many races. That's what we call moving the goalposts completely.

Of course I think it's time for Belgium or France to organize a WC again. Cycling was born in these regions and asking for one WC every 15 years is not overdoing it. That's my opinion and I honestly couldn't give a crap about someone elses opinion when he claims to know the Belgian roads yet never saw the Omloop het Nieuwsblad.

I doubt you ever saw GP de Wallonie either, so you wouldn't really know de roads of Namur all that well either. But that's coming from the guy that thinks only cities of at least one million citizens should be Tour hosts. :rolleyes:

Cycling is a sport about history and tradition, not about how many people live in a city or country.

What does anything in your post have to do with the discussion?. Yeah i do prefer grand departs in big cities i wrote that in some thread half a year ago. No i done watch omloop cos my broadcaster doesn't show it. I wrote that in some other thread 2 weeks ago. No i don't watch gp wallone, same reason.

But wtf have any of that have to do with anything ?:confused:

TRENDING THREADS