• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question about 90s Gary Fisher Paragon BB

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I was working on a friend's old early 90s Gary Fischer Paragon MTB, and it's got some funky threadless bottom bracket in the steel frame. I pulled the crank off and seals, but I can't see anyway to get the axle out. There are no circlips to remove.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

richwagmn said:
I was working on a friend's old early 90s Gary Fischer Paragon MTB, and it's got some funky threadless bottom bracket in the steel frame. I pulled the crank off and seals, but I can't see anyway to get the axle out. There are no circlips to remove.

Yup, a really brilliant idea from Gary. The bearings are held n there with loctite, Tap one side of the BB spindle, plastic mallet..smack it, and the opposite side bearing will come out, then the other direction. Pretty sure the BB spindle has shoulders on it. Don't remember the cart BB size but it's pretty standard, easily obtained, size.

BUT this is a pic of a Fisher BB..pretty sure it is supposed to have 'c' clips.

Attachments

• 7368877022_daf43896b3.jpg
    7368877022_daf43896b3.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 1,499
Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
richwagmn said:

Yup, a really brilliant idea from Gary. The bearings are held n there with loctite, Tap one side of the BB spindle, plastic mallet..smack it, and the opposite side bearing will come out, then the other direction. Pretty sure the BB spindle has shoulders on it. Don't remember the cart BB size but it's pretty standard, easily obtained, size.

BUT this is a pic of a Fisher BB..pretty sure it is supposed to have 'c' clips.

Thanks BK. We ended up taking this to the local shop and they were able to replace it. Updated it to a 1x with Shimano Zee and now it's good to go. Cool to see these old bikes still running about.