• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

question about "dope"

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
So I'm familiar with the most problematic and prevalent forms of doping these days (EPO,etc.) and what is physically happening in the body.

My question is... Are other kinds of drugs a bigger problem than I'm aware of in the peloton? For example are amphetamines still commonly used? Because I swear so many riders look like their eyes are going to pop out of their heads, even when off their bikes and between races (*COUGH frank schleck, all of Katusha, loads of Spanish riders COUGH*) And what kind of pain medication is used? For example, can teams legally obtain stuff like oxycodone for the riders and so on? I can't believe there isn't more addiction to that kind of thing... or maybe there is.

Can anyone weigh in? Also, when blood-doping, is there any kind of high the rider experiences? Aside from obvious performance enhancement, is there a euphoric feeling or whatever? Thanks.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the link... I guess I'm even more curious about usage and whether it's pretty common or not. I cannot imagine that painkillers for example are not supplied to riders, and I'm wondering how that works out with testing.

Also look to info from Victor Conte where he spells out in 2008 a proposed program for an athlete, it has HGH, EPO, T, Insulin, amongst other things. This is what we do know. There are many many things out there we do not know that is very underground. There are thousands of drugs that never made it past trial, never on the market that will boggle the mind. Russia, China, Malaysia, India and others compound these and will market them with their own names.

mombus said:
So I'm familiar with the most problematic and prevalent forms of doping these days (EPO,etc.) and what is physically happening in the body.

My question is... Are other kinds of drugs a bigger problem than I'm aware of in the peloton? For example are amphetamines still commonly used? Because I swear so many riders look like their eyes are going to pop out of their heads, even when off their bikes and between races (*COUGH frank schleck, all of Katusha, loads of Spanish riders COUGH*) And what kind of pain medication is used? For example, can teams legally obtain stuff like oxycodone for the riders and so on? I can't believe there isn't more addiction to that kind of thing... or maybe there is.

Can anyone weigh in? Also, when blood-doping, is there any kind of high the rider experiences? Aside from obvious performance enhancement, is there a euphoric feeling or whatever? Thanks.
They are using stuff that they think is very hard to trace in a doping test. So something like ampetamines will likely not be high on their list.

TRENDING THREADS