• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question about Seat Post Binder

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Admittedly, I'm old school and ride a 1994 Serotta Ti. I noticed that some of the cyclist on my weekly Friday night ride, have the seat post binder bolt pointed to the front of the bike, and not in the traditional position, of facing the back of the bike. When did this happen, (I must of missed the memo)? Is this something that started with Carbon frames?

thxs

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
There are a number of 'reasons' that it started happening and they differ for each manufacturer I think. I know that Felt started doing it because their analysis says that its better to have it bluntly pointing forward because it allows for smoother airflow at the trailing edge (less drag - no really).

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
They do this to avoid the chance of crimping the carbon seat post we now have off set seat clamps to do the same.

Makes sence if we avoid having two clamping gaps together.

some say it makes the seat tube stiffer and stronger

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
THe design on my bike (7 year old design, so this isn't that new) also prevents over tightening the frame (you can over tighten the seat post, but you don't wreck the frame)

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
They do this to avoid the chance of crimping the carbon seat post we now have off set seat clamps to do the same.

Makes sence if we avoid having two clamping gaps together.

some say it makes the seat tube stiffer and stronger

So it's better not to have the seat post binder bolt overlay the relief on the seat tube (for traditional steel and Ti bikes)?

I actually use a USE Alien 270 seat post on my Ti bike.