• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question about the classification of mountains on the tour

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I read on Nicolas Roche's diary that the origional classification of the mountains on the tour was due to what gear a car was used to drive up it. I can't find anything on this on the web. Is this true?

Its a great fact if it is - anyone able to shed some light on it?

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know the first categorization used was in A and B mountains (or at least such a categorization has been used at some point in time).

I've also heard that the categorization was based on how difficult the climb was for the cars to pass. I haven't heard the story about that the mountain category should correspond to a specific car gear. Considering the state of cars in the first TdF mountain stages I think it's likely that they just used the lowest gear when ever the road turned upwards.

Judging by Memoire Cyclisme's homepage the first categorization of climbs was introduced in 1947.

Maroon Heaven said:
I read on Nicolas Roche's diary that the origional classification of the mountains on the tour was due to what gear a car was used to drive up it. I can't find anything on this on the web. Is this true?

Its a great fact if it is - anyone able to shed some light on it?

Correct. But it's now based on height.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
kjetilraknerud said:
I want a HC gear on my car!

Many years ago in the UK I had such a gear on my Morris-8 car - it was called reverse.

It had 1, 2, 3 and R; to get up really steep grades one backed up the hill.

TRENDING THREADS