• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question: Bike pants/trousers (prefer compressive)

Oct 17, 2022
Visit site
Hi. I’m frustrated. Basically, trying to find a decent pair of cycle bottoms/pants (trousers) that fit me. I’m 6’-2” and weigh 170 pounds. Those stats seem to put me into either a “medium” or “small” depending on manufacturer. Ordered another pair online that I’ll need to return/exchange. This time, they are a bit too snug in the calf/ankles and being a “small” seem to pull down at the waist. Yet, around the waist and buttocks, they are almost too baggy! Not sure how to say this: I have a flat butt. So there’s some “extra room” down there creating a void and after a while of riding, this ‘bagginess’ causes a rash. Aside from starting to do extensive glute exercises and eating more to gain girth, figured I’d post/ask for some advice on other brands out there which I may not be aware of for better fit/sizing? e.g. maybe brands where the leggings are longer than others? Thanks for any name brand suggestions!

Last edited:
Are you looking for something that is suitable for general 'out in public, walking around and not looking odd'? Or just something to wear while actually cycling in cooler weather?
For just cycling use, I have stretch 'tights' that work OK - No rough seams in the seat, close fit around legs and ankles - wear them over regular padded cycling shorts.

For look of regular trousers. perhaps 'classic cut' dress pants (the seat seams are usually not too bunchy', and use velcro straps to keep the lower legs from flapping.

Oct 17, 2022
Visit site
Are you looking for something that is suitable for general 'out in public, walking around and not looking odd'? Or just something to wear while actually cycling in cooler weather?
For just cycling use, I have stretch 'tights' that work OK - No rough seams in the seat, close fit around legs and ankles - wear them over regular padded cycling shorts.

For look of regular trousers. perhaps 'classic cut' dress pants (the seat seams are usually not too bunchy', and use velcro straps to keep the lower legs from flapping.

Looking for a decent pair of tights that don't sag in the seat. I sort of have long legs and a thin waist. (And a very flat butt!) So most clothes are designed to accomodate actual glutes! And since there's a sag, the clothing always chaf/rub me the 'wrong way.' So it's always a debate do I go up a size so the pant-leg reaches my ankles or go down a size so my but doesn't sag.

My most recent purchase was this, a pair of XGC tights. While I love the material and the price, I don't like the fit. Padding would be ideal but not mandatory. But compression is as it helps with my ride and also recovery.

Thanks for any input or suggestions!

Hi. I’m frustrated. Basically, trying to find a decent pair of cycle bottoms/pants (trousers) that fit me. I’m 6’-2” and weigh 170 pounds. Those stats seem to put me into either a “medium” or “small” depending on manufacturer. Ordered another pair online that I’ll need to return/exchange. This time, they are a bit too snug in the calf/ankles and being a “small” seem to pull down at the waist. Yet, around the waist and buttocks, they are almost too baggy! Not sure how to say this: I have a flat butt. So there’s some “extra room” down there creating a void and after a while of riding, this ‘bagginess’ causes a rash. Aside from starting to do extensive glute exercises and eating more to gain girth, figured I’d post/ask for some advice on other brands out there which I may not be aware of for better fit/sizing? e.g. maybe brands where the leggings are longer than others? Thanks for any name brand suggestions!
I prefer using my regular cycling bibs with knee or leg warmers. That may give you more flexibility with fit options since the leg parts are separate from the shorts, plus if it warms up, you just slide them off.

Reactions: Swim-cycle
As a rule of thumb avoid like plague expensive/ "innovative" cycling companies and look in the motor industry, tons of cheap options with comfortable/flexible fabric...
My number one hobby is is mountain biking, my number two hobby is moto, none of my outer gear crosses over (I specify outer because base layers do cross over).

I do agree with watching out for overly 'innovative' designs because hey can lead to issues especially in contact areas.

For the OP, I can't think of any moto product that can help their stated issue(s).

TRENDING THREADS