• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question for non-Anglophones

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bernardus said:
Your opinion of the "prikpagina" is obviously not very high, but you're not exactly unbiased. You've been trolling that forum for years using dozens of different names (mostly variations to Arend Appelberg)

Ah, AA, almost the only funny guy on Prikpagina.

I'm here b/c the forum I used to post on has a small number of right-wing wind bags who, like all right wing wind bags, are insufferable to have anything to do with. My apologies to those who are right wing but not a wind bag.

English is my first language btw...I just don't come from the US, Aus or Britain.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Bernardus said:
Your opinion of the "prikpagina" is obviously not very high, but you're not exactly unbiased. You've been trolling that forum for years using dozens of different names (mostly variations to Arend Appelberg) that all have gotten banned. Most people will agree it's mainly an asskissing forum for old guys, but it's also one of the more influential cycling forums. Founders of CQranking, Cyclingstartlists, Wielerflits, Wielerland etc. are regular posters and the site is read by several Dutch and Belgian cycling reporters.

Ontopic: I have been active on a very large general discussion forum. Cycling is just one of the sports during most of the season (classics/Giro/Vuelta get plenty of attention, small races get no attention at all). The Tour de France however always has a dedicated subforum.

there's no troll unless it's being fed. and that's what they do every day. they take themselves so seriously I have a good laugh every time.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
there's no troll unless it's being fed. and that's what they do every day. they take themselves so seriously I have a good laugh every time.

Weren't you also 'drunkensailor'?

That guy was hilarious.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
DAOTEC is/must be RockRacing.

This is just a prikpagina reject forum ;p

it's ironic we are prikbord rejects when those guys are/must be socieity rejects I mean, have you seen photo's of the guys?? they should be prohibited from even walking outside.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
it's ironic we are prikbord rejects when those guys are/must be socieity rejects I mean, have you seen photo's of the guys?? they should be prohibited from even walking outside.

hehehe, their yearly 'race' should be sponsored by 'stichting De Zonnebloem' :D

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Also, it helps that I can justify all the time I waste here as "English practice."

LOL :D Absolutely, but it's so funny to read it from someone else!

+
1. diversity on top for me
2. quality comments and some fun (ozzies x mighty dutch folk)
3. contributors and mods (thank you!)
4. best online informations about races at all
5. of course that I can understand what people are talking about

-
just classic forum problems - every topic full of non related posts (hate it especially in race topics), sometimes people are too harsh to newcomers etc.

I really like it here + must add that i admire quality of some people's English here (mostly god damned Scandinavians and Benelux-ers :D)

Thanks for topic, nice one!

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I think it's great that we have so many people who hail from countries that don't speak English as a first language, and can fill us in on news before us English only readers find out. It also helps that they can fill the rest of us in with translations, or in my case how to correctly pronounce race and/or riders names correctly. with much appreciation to Libertine Seguros through his/her efforts have made my life a lot easier.

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Why'd you post in English then?

jaylew said:
Let me get this out of the way: I love the fact that there are people here from all over the world. I like that there are posters from S. America who can tell us about their riders. This place wouldn't be near as much fun if everyone was from Australia, the UK, and the US. I actually wish other countries/areas were represented better. For instance I don't think we get too many (prolific) posters from Italy. France is even a bit light. I wish there were more Asian and African posters.

Anyway, my question is, why are you here? Are there no good sites to talk about the races in your native language? Is CN simply the best? Do you come here because you get insight and views from different perspectives from your own (the same reason some Americans may prefer CN to Velonews, for example)? Am I just underestimating the pervasiveness of English?

I'm purposefully asking this question here as I'm curious about the people who like to discuss racing and riders.

More accurately, I mean people from non-Anglophone countries

Why'd you post in English then?

Though i am a British citizen, i see myself as first and foremost Polish and Polish is my first language in so far as it was the first language i learnt.

i write that to justify my giving a responce to the question in this thread as it is directed specifically at non anglophones.

Cycling is not the thing i am most passionate about in life but thanks to eurosport, i am able to watch pretty much every race of the year live, so it has become a hobby. i do have some views and i would like to give them an airing.
Cycling news forums is as far as i can see the most widely read cycling forum. I see that some threads have tens of thousands of views even if there are only 100 posts and 30 posters. It is also very good in many other ways.

Thats why i post here.

Ps Thank you Ryaguas for including me in your list of important forum members.

Its always nice to be aknowledged.

TRENDING THREADS