• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question for non-Anglophones

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Ps Thank you Ryaguas for including me in your list of important forum members.

Its always nice to be aknowledged.

:)

You deserve it... also a lot of ppl here that I really enjoy reading their comments cuz they know A LOT of cycling and I'm always learning something from them ;)

Some ppl has said that this is one of the most important forums about cycling and right now is when I'm noticing that :eek: WOW...

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
First post from the thread Admin.

jaylew said:
Let me get this out of the way: I love the fact that there are people here from all over the world. I like that there are posters from S. America who can tell us about their riders. This place wouldn't be near as much fun if everyone was from Australia, the UK, and the US. I actually wish other countries/areas were represented better. For instance I don't think we get too many (prolific) posters from Italy. France is even a bit light. I wish there were more Asian and African posters.

Anyway, my question is, why are you here?

Are there no good sites to talk about the races in your native language?

Is CN simply the best?

Do you come here because you get insight and views from different perspectives from your own (the same reason some Americans may prefer CN to Velonews, for example)?

Am I just underestimating the pervasiveness of English?

I'm purposefully asking this question here as I'm curious about the people who like to discuss racing and riders.

More accurately, I mean people from non-Anglophone countries

Agree with all, it's called Anglophibia (from Latin Anglus "English" + Greek φόβος -phobos, "fear") in Asia rebranded of late to Pomphibia, so there is your answer.

A

Anonymous

It worries me that people come here to improve their english. Some of the grammar, sentance structure and basic ability from the native english speakers is at times a pretty poor example to follow :D

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
It worries me that people come here to improve their english. Some of the grammar, sentance structure and basic ability from the native english speakers is at times a pretty poor example to follow :D

sentance? ;)

And you complain about other people :p

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm a competitive cyclist from Lebanon. I'm on CN because it's the hub for cycling information and for cycling enthousiasts. I also follow french-speaking cycling sites since my country is francophone.

RedheadDane said:
Hmm... if English speaking countries are Anglophones And French speaking countries are Francophone, does that mean Denmark is Danophone?

Or is it just... MEEEH since we're basically the only country where it's the main language...?

Danophone = "speaking Danish".

Most of them are pretty self explanatory (Anglophone, Germanophone, Francophone, Russophone, Hispanophone), but some are less obvious to the layman (Lusophone)...

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

And Martin318 was right about that and cause that is what this thread was all about, so sory to all and it won't happen again.

calvin+%26+hobbes+ignorance.gif

A

Anonymous

DAOTEC said:

Youre not meant to care. It was a joke. Jesus, what has happened to your sense of humour recently, you manage to take everything i say completely the wrong way.

I was making a joke of some of the english speakers writing, not criticising.

Get a grip

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cyclingnews is akin to the United Nations of cycling forums.

Yes, it's light on users from Asia and Africa (I'm formerly from R.S.A.) - but language (and I will say it: race) may still be a barrier for some users to swim in such a big pond of opinionated fish!

In all, the diversity of expertise, opinion, and cycling news and content are what keeps me here.

TRENDING THREADS