• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question/suggestion about CN Live Report

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
A lot of times I don't get to the live report until the stage has been over for an hour or so. By then, the CN website always seems to have the photo of the winner on the main page. I've learned how to shield my eyes from the headline photo, but a lot of times there's a thumbnail photo right next to the link for the live report.

Nothing makes reading the live report less interesting than already knowing who won because you recognize the rider from the photo. Is there some way I can get to the current live report for a recently ended race without seeing that?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I cannot agree more with Pete, but also understand that it is newsworthy and NEED to be updated once that day's stage is over. But I am ALSO just looking down for at 'Live Coverage' link without looking at the headlines

I have another request - can you please, please please open references to other articles, photos, commentaries in a NEW browser window? That way one can REMAIN on the 'Live Coverage' page and spawn additional pager to refer to later or after completed reading the live report. There is nothing so annoying (at least for me) to hit the 'Back' button to go back to the report.
and if you really want an example of the syntax, here it is:

<A HREF="aerowheels/wheels.html" TARGET=_BLANK>
Wheels competition
</A>

Jamsque said:
Here's a shocking idea. How about instead of pointing your browser at http://www.cyclingnews.com, you point it at live.cyclingnews.com ?

People shouldn't be allowed on the internet if they don't know how it works.

I'm pointing right at it and nothing is happening. I even had my wife come in and point at it too, but still no difference.

Could I be using the wrong finger? This stuff's really confusing.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
There's usually a blurb that gets repeated at the top of every Live Coverage page.

Today's is "Hello and welcome to Cyclingnews' live coverage from stage 17 of the Tour de France. We're just a few days away from Paris but today is the crucial stage from Pau to the Col du Tourmalet and everything is still to play for."

I hate reading that or seeing it on every page. It feels redundant and when I go to the next page I always wonder why I'm getting an introduction to the stage when I've already seen the introduction 7, 13 or 20 pages in a row. Is there any reason it has to appear on every page other than the main one? Can you get rid of it and maybe just have the Stage details?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Nows the time to say! We're already thinking about how to improve our tour coverage for next year. Please keep those suggestions coming!

May 5, 2009
Visit site
manolo said:
There's usually a blurb that gets repeated at the top of every Live Coverage page... I hate reading that or seeing it on every page. It feels redundant... Can you get rid of it and maybe just have the Stage details?

"What a lovely stage today … a nice long, relatively flat ride along the waterfront. If only it wasn't for the HC climb at the very end!"
"What a lovely stage today … a nice long, relatively flat ride along the waterfront. If only it wasn't for the HC climb at the very end!"

I read this 15 times today. There it is on the top of every page of the live report. Would you consider finding a way for that little statement to not appear at the top of every single page of the Live report? I hate it. Just put something like 178km 2 Cat 2 climbs, please...

Why would I want to read "What a lovely stage today … a nice long, relatively flat ride along the waterfront. If only it wasn't for the HC climb at the very end!" 15 or more times? Please?... Just biitchingand moaning... Bear with me...