• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quick question

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I am a new aspiring cyclist, been shopping for a used bike, I have come across a deal on a Specialized tricross sport, very nice bike. My question is, is this a bike I can ride on the road and be involved in group rides and not be at a disadvantage in a field of road bikes? I do not aspire to compete, just ride to lose tonnage and get into some group riding. Thanks for any help in this matter.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Yes it does fit quite nicely, much better than my old Trek alpha did. The owner has already mounted up some road tires and stated he used it primaraly on the street, just dont want to buy it if it will hold me back.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
great bike to start with. the tri cross is a multi use bike good clearance for guards and will take racks. keep to the fitting system on their web site and you cant go wrong, they are one company that is on the ball and honest about fit and usage.
check out the giant ocr as well. REAL racing bikes are harsh, efficient rides and unsuited to a beginner.
enjoy the pain and love the tailwinds,

http://www.bikepure.org

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to all

At the last minute I backed off, bought a 09 GT series 4 road bike instead. Considered the cost of road tires and retargeted what I wanted and decided a road rig was right for me. Bought the 1 month old GT with nashbar SPDs and a Catyeye Velo 5 for...450 dollars! Not stolen, the gentleman lost his job and he needed a car payment. Thanks to everyone for their input, this forum is great, I will have many more questions in the future!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to our wonderful world! I would have thought that the guy you bought from would have been better selling the car and keeping the bike if he's out of work. Makes far better sense financially. Hmmm, Americans and their cars, eh? :confused: