• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quick Step - Davis and Contador

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hmm now reported that Quick Step is short of cash. And despite claiming they can't afford to keep Davis they now say he can't leave for free. Is Lefevre for real ?

And all this time still pursuing the pipe dream of signing Contador ?

Seems most inconsistent from Quick Step!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
timbat said:
Hmm now reported that Quick Step is short of cash. And despite claiming they can't afford to keep Davis they now say he can't leave for free. Is Lefevre for real ?

And all this time still pursuing the pipe dream of signing Contador ?

Seems most inconsistent from Quick Step!

His previous statements were that he has a sponsor ready to come on board specifically to pay Contador's salary, which will only happen if Contador signs.

Basically the exact same as Caisse have.

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
it's not inconsistent, lefevre told the belgian press a few months ago that he had found extra money to sign contador if he left astana, that money was coming from his sponsors and mostly from specialized (quicksteps then bikesponsor).

After it became clear that contador was staying with astana specialized ended it's contract with quickstep and joined astana (well actually contador, they just took the rest of the team with him), a move that cost quickstep a lot of money and meant that lefevre is feeling a little credit crunch for the coming season (not the only team though teams like saxo are having the same problem)

It's in this context that lefevre has said that stauff will be quicksteps last signing and that he wants davis to buy out his contract if he wants to leave since he only now told lefevre that he's leaving..

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Some possibilities

moi123 said:
I don't think Contador would want to go to quickstep, it's not his first option.

I think he will stay with Astana if everything goes well or he will join Caisse d'Epargne or build a new team with Fernando Alonso.

isayic said:
I think he will stay with Astana if everything goes well or he will join Caisse d'Epargne or build a new team with Fernando Alonso.

He didn't renew with Astana when they were offering a tremendous amount of money to him, so it's unlikely that he'll stay with Astana after 2010. Caisse is the most probable choice and there's also Garmin.

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
cobblehead said:
It's in this context that lefevre has said that stauff will be quicksteps last signing and that he wants davis to buy out his contract if he wants to leave since he only now told lefevre that he's leaving..

My information was that Alby was told if he could find another team he better do it. And for weeks now, Alby has known he had to buy out his Quickstep contract himself.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
So what does alby get if he doesn't buy out his contract? Wages for the year but doesn't ride? I'm confused.

actually the way i understood it, if he cant buy out his contract, lefevre would force him to ride under the existing contract.....which seems not to be all that great

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
So what does alby get if he doesn't buy out his contract? Wages for the year but doesn't ride? I'm confused.

buying out contract presumes he has a valid contract, and thus will ride peripheral races.

With Devolder and Boonen there is no room. There is no money to go around. And Wylandt is also a good sprinter.

Davis needs to ride the Tour and San Remo, those are his races, but he has to be second to Boonen in San Remo, and he is not a real leadout rider for the Tour. Davis needs to ride for himself at the Tour, he is a sprinter like Mcewen.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Davis deserves a chance to be a leader in the bigger races, making getting out of Quick Step a priority. Boonen doesnt seem to be as strong a sprinter in the past, but still he is their leader.

But it would not surprise me if Davis had been looking for a new team ever since the whole Tour debacle, where he even took part in the presentation before losing his place to Boonen at the last minute. (And what a productive tour Boonen had in his place...)

TRENDING THREADS