• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quickstep and Lotto to Merge?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
LukeSchmid said:
And he wants Contador and 4 or 5 climbers on his team as well. This fellow seems to be getting a little greedy.

That is exactly what I was thinking!! Seems Mr. Lefevere lives in his own little dream land!!

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
not a bad idea, belgium would benefit from having one really big team in which all the belgian big guns can have their place and the team being supplied by 2 procontinental feederteams...

but seeing as how a similar attempt in the past allready failed, I don't see it happening any time soon...

It's a nice dream however, imagine boonen, gilbert, vandenbroeck, roelandts, van avermaet, hulsmans, weylandt, wynants, seeldrayers, bakelandts, devenys,... all in the same team, would be a very nice team, all they would need to be a really big team would be a GC-contender...

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
I can follow his thoughts.
Cycling is getting bigger, more international and most important: more and more money is involved.
Belgium is getting too small for 2 Pro-Tour teams.
1 big team and a few smaller might be better (cf. Netherlands: Rabobank + Skill/Vacansoleil/...)

Lotto-Quickstep. Why not?

A

Anonymous

still stand by the rumour i was given months ago that if lefevre gets contador as he wants and builds the team around him boonen gets to leave

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I think getting out of that team would probably be good for Tom Boonen. He needs some new challenges, and someone who will make an effort to keep him off the nose candy.

I think Caisse or Santander make much more sense for Contador, though.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I think getting out of that team would probably be good for Tom Boonen. He needs some new challenges, and someone who will make an effort to keep him off the nose candy.

I think Caisse or Santander make much more sense for Contador, though.

Where would Boonen go though??? I don't see him leaving his beloved Quickstep. And indeed, Contador will not go to Quickstep. He would much rather go to Caisse, who have a very strong GC team with many domestiques that can climb very well. What's the deal with Santander? Is that happening? Or will Caisse not find a new sponsor and will the whole team move to Santander?

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Vonn Brinkman said:
Where would Boonen go though??? I don't see him leaving his beloved Quickstep. And indeed, Contador will not go to Quickstep. He would much rather go to Caisse, who have a very strong GC team with many domestiques that can climb very well. What's the deal with Santander? Is that happening? Or will Caisse not find a new sponsor and will the whole team move to Santander?

I don't know, but it seems to me that I heard quite some time ago that Caisse D'epargne is withdrawing it's sponsorship from bicycle racing. So why are we batting that team around as a potential home for Alberto?
Oh, and as for "Gargantuan" teams, chock full of superstars. It doesn't work as well as it so temptingly looks. HTC-Columbia is a good example of just that. Boasson Hagen left because there really was no place for him to blossom in that team, just as Greipel will be leaving after this season because there is really no room on that team for him and Cav at the TdF. Though HTC is still a VERY good team, I think their curve shows us that you've got to be a bit more strategic when assembling a team, if you want it to stay together for the long haul.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
you couldn't have all those big guns on one team. they would move away as some would not get the opportunities they deserve!

Agree. Yet they still wouldn't have a big time GC rider.
I think Lefévre just wants Gilbert, which is sort of understandable.
How would that work anyway with the sponsors? Omega Pharma Quick Step Lotto? Long, but no Androni, I suppose.

nowhereman said:
I don't know, but it seems to me that I heard quite some time ago that Caisse D'epargne is withdrawing it's sponsorship from bicycle racing. So why are we batting that team around as a potential home for Alberto?
Oh, and as for "Gargantuan" teams, chock full of superstars. It doesn't work as well as it so temptingly looks. HTC-Columbia is a good example of just that. Boasson Hagen left because there really was no place for him to blossom in that team, just as Greipel will be leaving after this season because there is really no room on that team for him and Cav at the TdF. Though HTC is still a VERY good team, I think their curve shows us that you've got to be a bit more strategic when assembling a team, if you want it to stay together for the long haul.

Another Spanish sponsor will probably come up, especially after some years of no Spanish sponsors (after all Caisse d'Epargne is French) in the sport. Especially when Contador is joining the team there will be interest I guess.

I just can't see Contador moving to QuickStep. Lefevre wants it, but so does every other team. Contador was asked about it last year and he said that there are many interested parties and he didn't seem very keen to join QS. The last years all GC talents have been wasted in that team and that's certainly something to think about. Lefevre is one of the worst guys in cycling at the moment as well.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
cobblehead said:
not a bad idea, belgium would benefit from having one really big team in which all the belgian big guns can have their place and the team being supplied by 2 procontinental feederteams...

but seeing as how a similar attempt in the past allready failed, I don't see it happening any time soon...

It's a nice dream however, imagine boonen, gilbert, vandenbroeck, roelandts, van avermaet, hulsmans, weylandt, wynants, seeldrayers, bakelandts, devenys,... all in the same team, would be a very nice team, all they would need to be a really big team would be a GC-contender...

failed? Mapei was great.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Is this going to result in Philommeke Gilboonen, the perfect classics rider?

Considering how much those teams are one man shows already, that guy's team would just be ridiculous.

Buffalo Soldier said:
I can follow his thoughts.
Cycling is getting bigger, more international and most important: more and more money is involved.
Belgium is getting too small for 2 Pro-Tour teams.
1 big team and a few smaller might be better (cf. Netherlands: Rabobank + Skill/Vacansoleil/...)

Lotto-Quickstep. Why not?

If Gilbert left Lotto, they could just drop down to Pro Conti status..

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
LukeSchmid said:
And he wants Contador and 4 or 5 climbers on his team as well. This fellow seems to be getting a little greedy.

I have my doubts that Contador wants to begin from the scratch every season. Barring desaster I think he will stay with Astana.
And a team like Quickstep has no experience how to support a GT contender.
It's not done with signing one and some climbers.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
isayic said:
I have my doubts that Contador wants to begin from the scratch every season. Barring desaster I think he will stay with Astana.
And a team like Quickstep has no experience how to support a GT contender.
It's not done with signing one and some climbers.

good points, those.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
And instead of using the brand "Silence" they could revert back to to using the parent company's name and wallah "Quickstep-Davitimon".

No need for new kits, just dust off the old ones.

TRENDING THREADS