• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

QuickStep VS SKY

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Wiggins did absolutely nothing in the classics, which are and always have been an essential part of cycling since forever.

You simply can not be the best allrounder if you don't show anything there. Wiggo himself would probably be one of the first to agree.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
P-N had less than 20kms of TTing, and more than half of those were up Col d'Eze, the traditional way to end the race.

Romandie, similarly, had less than 20kms of TTing, although I take your point that the other stages were hardly selective.

Take all of the TTing out of the Tour, which was far, far less kms than would have been typical 20 years ago, and Wiggins would still have won the race.

And besides, since when does TTing not have a relevance to stage racing?

Honestly, if you can just admit that Wiggins was the best all round rider this year, then your healing process can begin.

The only Paris-Nice stage that caused a serious selection was Col de Mende. All the other stages were pretty meh. Paris-Nice used to be a very interesting race, but last 2 editions have been rather boring. I hope they have another MTF on Montagne de Lure next year. Paris-Nice was mostly decided in the time trial this year. Same goes for Romandie, that race was even worse than Paris-Nice.

Of course TTing has a relevance to stage racing, but lately it's been all about time trialling in some stage races. There needs to be a fine balance and usually they fail to achieve that. Some races don't have enough time trials and others have too much of them.

I'm not upset Wiggins had a great season mind you. Not anymore at least. If he comes to the Six days of Gent this year I'll be cheering him on. But Wiggins was definitely not the most all-round rider of the season. I'm going with Nibali on this one: third in Milan-San Remo, winner of Tirreno-Adriatico, second in LBL and third in the Tour.

El Pistolero said:
EBH wins races, Chavanel barely wins.

Just because he has a sprint doesn't mean he is a star and Sylvain isn't.

EBH - 2 Tour stages, Eneco x2, Vattenfall, Gent-Wevelgem, 2 Dauphine + Tirreno stages

Chavanel - 3 Tour stages, led the Tour and Vuelta, Brabantse Pijl, DDV, Dreidaagse van De Panne, 2 Paris-Nice stages, 2nd in De Ronde, World TTT Champ

luckyboy said:
Just because he has a sprint doesn't mean he is a star and Sylvain isn't.

EBH - 2 Tour stages, Eneco x2, Vattenfall, Gent-Wevelgem, 2 Dauphine + Tirreno stages

Chavanel - 3 Tour stages, led the Tour and Vuelta, Brabantse Pijl, DDV, Dreidaagse van De Panne, 2 Paris-Nice stages, 2nd in De Ronde, World TTT Champ

Yeah, EBH is a great talent, but he's got a few years to go before he's on par with a rider of Chava's class. That one Flanders ride alone puts him above EBH. Once the Norwegian starts to do something like animate races of Flanders/Roubaix calibre, then we can have this conversation.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
i dont know why this comparison exists at all

sky is a stage race team that was absent in the classics, quick step is a classics team that was absent in the stage races

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
still both teams wouldn't have had even a faimble of the succes had both cancellara and contador not have been absent. netx year they stand no chance. unless cancellara gets injured again. he's so much better than boonen.

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he's so much better than boonen.

Must be comfortable to just spew things based on personal likes or dislikes of riders and not based on actual knowledge. Doubly hilarious when it's coming from a self-declared connoisseur. You go, girl.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Praetor said:
Must be comfortable to just spew things based on personal likes or dislikes of riders and not based on actual knowledge. Doubly hilarious when it's coming from a self-declared connoisseur. You go, girl.

cancellara vs boonen. whenever they rode in rcent years. cancellara always won.

1 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team Saxo Bank 6:35:10
2 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Cervelo Test Team 0:02:00
3 Juan Antonio Flecha Giannoni (Spa) Sky Professional Cycling Team
4 Roger Hammond (GBr) Cervelo Test Team 0:03:14
5 Tom Boonen (Bel) Quick Step
6 Björn Leukemans (Bel) Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team 0:03:20
7 Filippo Pozzato (Ita) Team Katusha 0:03:46
8 Leif Hoste (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 0:05:16
9 Sébastien Hinault (Fra) Ag2R La Mondiale 0:06:27
10 Hayden Roulston (NZl) Team HTC - Columbia 0:06:59

I rest my case

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
He beat him one year and he's better all of a sudden? Boonen was obviously the better rider in 2004-2009. And now again in 2012.

You think Boonen never had injuries? Hello, 2011.

TRENDING THREADS