• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quinn Simmons is the new Quinn Simmons

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sigh..Costa..so sad.

Which race was that?
Course de la Paix.

costa-cdlp15st3-mcnulty-920.jpg

01 Adrien Costa 1997 USA
02:46:50​
02 Brandon McNulty 1998 USA
+ 00​
03 Nikolay Ilichev1997 Russia
+ 01:31​
04 Stefano Ciardo1997 Italy
+ 01:51​
05 Thomas Vereecken1997 Belgium
+ 01:51​
06 Tobias Foss1997 Norway
+ 01:53​
07 Felix Gall1998 Austria
+ 02:17​
08 Tadej Pogacar1998 KK Grega Bole Bled
+ 02:44​
09 Dinmukhammed Ulysbayev1998 Kazakhstan
+ 02:45​
10 Rasmus Lund Pedersen1998 Denmark
+ 02:45​

01Brandon McNulty1998USA
09:26:57​
02Adrien Costa1997USA
+ 27​
03Nikolay Ilichev1997Russia
+ 02:43​
04Tobias Foss1997Norway
+ 02:43​
05Thomas Vereecken1997Belgium
+ 03:02​
06Kirill Vyatkin1997Kazakhstan
+ 03:59​
07Stefano Ciardo1997Italy
+ 04:07​
08Tadej Pogacar1998KK Grega Bole Bled
+ 04:28​
09Dinmukhammed Ulysbayev1998Kazakhstan
+ 04:40​
10Rasmus Lund Pedersen1998Denmark
+ 04:41​

Reactions: Juan Pelota
RE American Racers:

Rarely does the USA have genetic freaks in cycling because they do other more American things. A 'good' kid can do well in the Jr ranks and maybe even push into the U23, but good doesn't cut it at the top. QS might be the first in a while to have the genetic stuff to make it. Tejay obviously didn't meet the GT winner status that was forced on him, but his results clearly show that he is genetically gifted (even if a little mentally fragile). As for the other young USAers, hmm, I'm not sure yet.

While other sports are much bigger in the US, I honestly don't think they eat that much into cycling as the genetic make up for a top cycling talent is so much different from the other main American sports.

I think American mens tennis suffers much more from it.

The lack of a road racing scene in 90 percent...no, 95 percent...of the US is definitely a drawback. Here in France, cycling is on TV 5-6 days a week during the season. L'Equipe covers every major race, and tout le monde follows the TdF. TV and media coverage aside, there just aren't very many local or regional US races, a la the kermesse scene in Belgium. And there are fewer and fewer Continental level races each year.

I can only imagine how it is in Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain and Italy.

To even think about being a pro cyclist in the US still requires Jacques Boyer levels of imagination and grit. Basically, unless you live in, say, certain parts of Colorado, you have to do it all yourself.

Kids in the US who have the physiology to be great cyclists are playing baseball, basketball, soccer, swimming, running track or even lacrosse, because that's what the local youth leagues and high schools offer. Even when Lance was winning 7 tdfs in a row, there wasn't anywhere near the huge surge of participation you'd expect to see -- and what we've seen in Britain in the wake of Wiggins & Froome.

at the same time, cycling in the US is becoming more of a "lifestyle" sport, where you have talented, hardcore riders doing Alley Cats, crits, cx, or gravel but strictly on the amateur or maybe semipro level.

It's basically going to be the needle in the haystack approach, where every few years you have an Adrien Costa or Quinn Simmons or McNulty who is good enough and driven enough to make it to the WT level. But that doesn't even mean they'll be winners in the pros. Whereas every year Bel, Ned, Fra, Esp, Ita each produce dozens of juniors or U23 riders who make that leap, not to mention Germany, Switzerland, the surging Nordics and small countries like Slovenia that punch way above their weight.

While other sports are much bigger in the US, I honestly don't think they eat that much into cycling as the genetic make up for a top cycling talent is so much different from the other main American sports.

Football (soccer) perhaps as well. I imagine a large part of the talent pool end up pursuing basketball or American football instead.

Bolder and bushman pretty much covered it, but the kids doing other things (be that sports or video games) don't even know that they are aerobic endurance genetic freaks. Cycling has really never reach 'cool' status in the USA. The HS mountain bike scene has exploded here in Boise, ID though (huge groups of kids). Mostly that makes me really happy, but it does mean more people on my trails! :)

Bolder and bushman pretty much covered it, but the kids doing other things (be that sports or video games) don't even know that they are aerobic endurance genetic freaks. Cycling has really never reach 'cool' status in the USA. The HS mountain bike scene has exploded here in Boise, ID though (huge groups of kids). Mostly that makes me really happy, but it does mean more people on my trails! :)

Brazilians don't have much to say in cycling but the world champ ultra marathoner and last RAAM solo winner Dani Genovesi is moving to Boise.. she says its a awesome place to live and train.
say hi in the trails if you can keep up..

Last edited:
Why not? They are nothing alike and will more than likely ride different types of races.

Nothing alike? Both are excellent against the clock and I don't know yet if Remco is a GT climber and I don't know yet that Quinn isn't.

Quinn has stated that he wants to win Roubaix. Gerraint Thomas has said that as well as Wiggins (in his day). These two are young to the point that it's a bit difficult to declare "they are nothing alike." At least at this stage.

You may be right. I simply think it's too early to know.

Nothing alike? Both are excellent against the clock and I don't know yet if Remco is a GT climber and I don't know yet that Quinn isn't.

Quinn has stated that he wants to win Roubaix. Gerraint Thomas has said that as well as Wiggins (in his day). These two are young to the point that it's a bit difficult to declare "they are nothing alike." At least at this stage.

You may be right. I simply think it's too early to know.
I guess anything is possible, but i'll eat my left shoe if they turn out to compete for the same races in the next two or three years. Them being "excellent" against the clock is basically where the comparison ends. Remco destroyed the entire field on the EC and WC ITT juniors, while Quinn didn't even win the WC against a guy that had a mechanical in the first 100 meters. Remco then became EC ITT champion and runner up in the WC as a 19 year old first year pro. I've got the impression people assume far too easily that any guy that wins a few races and does well as a junior, will be in Evenepoel's league. Even if Quinn ends up being the same type of rider as Evenepoel (which i highly doubt, but that 's a completely different issue), i highly doubt that he will be able to repeat what Evenepoel did in his first year(s). As such, i don't see the issue with him riding for the same team as Evenepoel. In fact, it would only benefit him since he could grow quietly while Evenepoel takes the spotlight, imho. By the time he might be good enough to actually claim a spot that might otherwise be reserved for Evenepoel, he'll be 2 to 3 years older and will have the chance to go to another team. He'd still be only 21 by that time. Him joining DQS now, doesn't mean he has to stay there for the next 15 years and slave for Evenepoel.

As for the issue of them being "alike". One is a physically mature 18 year old, ahead of his peers in that regard, making it hard to predict how he will evolve against physically mature riders in the pro peloton. Weiging 72kg, which is more than 10kg more than the other and far too much to be a GT climber. Is it possible he can become a GT climber? Sure, i guess. But i wouldn't hold my breath. While the other has already proven to be a freak of nature, in his first season as a pro.

Basically my point is, the odds that they will turn out to be similar riders is rather slim imho. And even if that would happen, i don't see any reason why Quinn should steer clear of DQS/Evenepoel, since i doubt he will make the transition to a GT rider that should get his spot in the team as well as the chance to ride for himself, in the next two to three years. That's plenty of time to decide where you want to ride in the future.

I guess anything is possible, but i'll eat my left shoe if they turn out to compete for the same races in the next two or three years. Them being "excellent" against the clock is basically where the comparison ends. Remco destroyed the entire field on the EC and WC ITT juniors, while Quinn didn't even win the WC against a guy that had a mechanical in the first 100 meters. Remco then became EC ITT champion and runner up in the WC as a 19 year old first year pro. I've got the impression people assume far too easily that any guy that wins a few races and does well as a junior, will be in Evenepoel's league. Even if Quinn ends up being the same type of rider as Evenepoel (which i highly doubt, but that 's a completely different issue), i highly doubt that he will be able to repeat what Evenepoel did in his first year(s). As such, i don't see the issue with him riding for the same team as Evenepoel. In fact, it would only benefit him since he could grow quietly while Evenepoel takes the spotlight, imho. By the time he might be good enough to actually claim a spot that might otherwise be reserved for Evenepoel, he'll be 2 to 3 years older and will have the chance to go to another team. He'd still be only 21 by that time. Him joining DQS now, doesn't mean he has to stay there for the next 15 years and slave for Evenepoel.

As for the issue of them being "alike". One is a physically mature 18 year old, ahead of his peers in that regard, making it hard to predict how he will evolve against physically mature riders in the pro peloton. Weiging 72kg, which is more than 10kg more than the other and far too much to be a GT climber. Is it possible he can become a GT climber? Sure, i guess. But i wouldn't hold my breath. While the other has already proven to be a freak of nature, in his first season as a pro.

Basically my point is, the odds that they will turn out to be similar riders is rather slim imho. And even if that would happen, i don't see any reason why Quinn should steer clear of DQS/Evenepoel, since i doubt he will make the transition to a GT rider that should get his spot in the team as well as the chance to ride for himself, in the next two to three years. That's plenty of time to decide where you want to ride in the future.

I don't disagree on most of this. Both of these guys will continue to develop. Remco had an insanely good first year. I doubt he'll have as many opportunities in the immediate futre as he will most certainly be marked in every race he's in.

We'll see about Quinn. He seems intent on the Northern Classics. But he can climb. Maybe a bit more like power-climb (Saganesque). Also, I just don't think the comparisons of him with Remco - as teammates - would be healthy.

As far as GT goes, don't forget about Pogacar. Just turned 21 and already a GT podium not even a half a minute of 2nd place. Strong in week 3. Impressive.

With Remco I had little doubt that jumping to the majors with DCQ was the right decision, but I'm not totally sure with Simmons, especially with TSF. It's not a bad team, at all, but Lefevre just seems to have a great feel for handling riders, and because his team is so strong they didn't really need Remco to be a star, just to show improvement. I'm sure he exceeded even their expectations.

But Trek doesnt quite have the marquee names yet, although Petersen and Mollema had signature, breakout wins this year. So there could be a fair bit of pressure, especially in the US, on Simmons. Hopefully they'll show the same restraint as DQS did with Remco.

I'm curious to see where he'll excell at and how he'll fare in a pro peloton. I've got a feeling he's build more for the hardmen classics in the long run, not so much GC stageraces (he may be a bit too heavy for that). But hard to know for sure, he could lose some weight and already has a very good ITT. He's among a few neo-pro's i'll be keeping an eye on this year, together with Van Wilder, Arensman, Bagioli, Vansevenant... Sure i'm forgetting a few.

Google Translate:

Excellent in his two junior seasons, Quinn Simmons will emulate his predecessor Remco Evenepoel by moving directly from his age category to the World-Tour. And it was at Trek-Segafredo that the young American runner decided to start his professional career. An excellent roller, and very successful in day racing, the native of Durango, Colorado crossed the steps 4 to 4, and it would not be surprising to see him shine in 2020.

Our prediction: if it is difficult to envisage a season at Evenepoel, Quinn Simmons can however quickly stand out in the World-Tour. Especially since there should be certain freedoms within the Trek-Segafredo. In addition, his profile as an excellent rider could allow him to already secure some fine places of honor in stage stages .1. Without forgetting a time of the US championships which can also reach out to him if his race program allows him to compete.

Google Translate:

Last year Remco Evenepoel made the much-discussed step from the juniors to the WorldTour. This year even two riders do that: 18-year-old Spaniard Carlos Rodríguez (Team Ineos) and the equally old American Quinn Simmons. Just like Evenepoel a year earlier, he too became world champion on the road with the juniors. That same evening you could read on this site that he is already making his professional debut in 2020 in the shirt of the American WorldTour team Trek-Segafredo. Already half the WorldTour peleton was after him.

That is not surprising, because more and more cycling scouts dig deeper than the category of U23. In the junior circuit you could not ignore Simmons last season. He won Gent-Wevelgem for juniors, took the Three Days of Axel (including three rides), became American time trial champion with the juniors, triumphed in the GP Rüebliland (including two stages), was the best in Emperor of the Juniores (with a stage victory) ) and he became world champion on the road after an impressive solo in the British Yorkshire.

The American has climbing abilities, is a gifted time trialist, can handle the (Flemish) classical work and has an extremely strong final shot. Insiders see in him a type à la Peter Sagan. "What makes him unique is his focus and proactive racing," his trainer Billy Innes tells WielerFlits. “He always prepares well and determines in advance what the key points are. If he feels that he can attack there in the match, he tries to influence the course. That is his great strength. "

Could this schedule be correct? It seems insanely ambitious.

TRENDING THREADS