• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quinn Simmons is the new Quinn Simmons

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Found this a very interesting reading. Not the first guy who recently says that easy early season races set him back (think the other was De Gendt).

Standing ovation, applause to Cycling News,his team, family, team directors and possibly a Trek team shrink for the sudden elevation of Simmons as a heavy hitter..punching it out with the big boys..
results don't show it..but if the English speaking, American audience need something to focus on.. by all means let it be Quinn Simmons.. The next big thing..
Congratulations to Tom Terrific for actually winning the race in a destroyer style!!
I think Quinn has enough pressure to be there at crunch time.. If Rui Costa was the subject I could embrace all the hysteria about being a contender because he has been there during these early races including today..

Standing ovation, applause to Cycling News,his team, family, team directors and possibly a Trek team shrink for the sudden elevation of Simmons as a heavy hitter..punching it out with the big boys..
results don't show it..but if the English speaking, American audience need something to focus on.. by all means let it be Quinn Simmons.. The next big thing..
Congratulations to Tom Terrific for actually winning the race in a destroyer style!!
I think Quinn has enough pressure to be there at crunch time.. If Rui Costa was the subject I could embrace all the hysteria about being a contender because he has been there during these early races including today..

In response to the bolded, why? Would much rather root for McNulty or Sheffield . . . or even Kuss, if I wanted to do the nationalist flag waving thing.

Agreed.. There are so many talented guys and I know that they need content..So you gotta write something, edit it somehow. Simmons is a good racer..
Kuss just GC'd top 5.. more results to come..
Can remember coverage were after watching I was sure Ryder Hesjedal was going to easily contest the TDF..I bought into the hype
both McNulty and Sheffield are showing great form and composure about who and where they are in the pro peloton food chain..
I have never seen Quinn having a tough time putting on his helmet because of a swollen head or ego..like his style..

He's very good already, maybe he was a bit hasty today, no? Should have been more like Costa, act like he'll have afford to loose this. And I think it's important mentally, because if he gets to stiff with winning something, then he's in trouble. Of course Costa has already got his palmares and that way different story.

And..as talked earlier on, this race seems to attract lightweight punchy gc complets et al more and more. 60kg vs 72kg is a lot when that 60kg can take WVA to the line and win..

Reactions: Sandisfan
I always do the 'flag waving thing'. QS isn't may favorite person, but its good to see a USAer at the front of a race.
I probably follow the progress of American pros more than let’s say, a middle of the pack European rider,, but with exception of a few pros that were from my region, they rarely are one of the riders I actively root for in a race. I think I usually end up with “favorites” (from various countries) because of their racing exploits or interviews, but donestiques typically don’t get many chances for either.
I am glad there seem to be more American pros in the peloton than in the recent past, because it might help increase interest in cycling here (though, honestly, it wont have much impact).

He was better here last year, and i believe the year before that as well (but he crashed).

Simmons is good but he’s not strong enough yet to be the sole team leader. He needs a Pedersen or Stuyven alongside him to cover moves in the pointy end of races.
Similarly, he’s no Pog/WVA/MDVP/Cancellara/Peak Steppers to go solo 50km out in a classics race.

If Stuyven or especially Pedersen are in the lineup then it will be Quinn who has to cover the moves I’m sure? If Quinn isn’t solely on domestique duty that day.

Sure, but it means he doesn’t have to follow everything. Benoot and Valter continually split the group with attacks but stupidity brought it back together.

I think it was Mohoric who was mostly covering all those attacks yesterday with the others benefitting from that. Simmons just didn’t have the legs the others had yesterday. But I don’t think the presence of a team mate would have mattered much in that regard.

No doubt Simmons is a very good rider with great potential. But I just can’t figure out the beard? I mean, that is so unsuited to this sport. He must be so uncomfortable on hot days. Then it can’t help aerodynamics either? If it’s some kind of branding matter, is that really worth it?

12th was still a very good result. He will be a top competitor for this race for some time, if nothing unexpected happens.

The kid has ambition and maybe wanted more, but he has to race better tactically. He will only be 22 in May and the wins will hopefully come with more experience.

Good start to the season.

He was better here last year, and i believe the year before that as well (but he crashed).
I'm not sure.
Last year the group behind Pogacar didn' go full gas until very late in the race so he probably managed to save some energy.
In 2021 he made the first selection and looked very good but it's hard to tell how long he would've survived hand't he punctured and then crashed. Perhaps he would have run out of steam exactly like this year.

I think the performances are comparable.

Why is Simmons not starting LBL? Is it strictly down to lack of form, or is he injured? He stated on Bobby and Jens that the hilly classics were his main goal. After his win in San Juan I thought he was going to have a big year. Three years ago he looked to be a can’t miss prospect. Needless to say, that has not panned out to date. Curious to understand why.

Why is Simmons not starting LBL? Is it strictly down to lack of form, or is he injured? He stated on Bobby and Jens that the hilly classics were his main goal. After his win in San Juan I thought he was going to have a big year. Three years ago he looked to be a can’t miss prospect. Needless to say, that has not panned out to date. Curious to understand why.

The last thing I know regarding health issues is that he quited Catalunya due to illness, but it didn't sound too serious to explain his lack of form. He seemed bad in Brabantse Pijl.

Didn't followed Amstel so I'm not sure if he might have had a crash there.

7nzGVXLRoZrash5oXriq9A-1200-80.jpg.webp

I was hoping for something more over the top for the USA jersey.

TRENDING THREADS