• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

R.I.P. Andy Rihs (+75)

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I thought one of the long term financial backers of cycling deserves a posthumous thread ...
Andy Rihs died last night at the age of 75 after a long battle against cancer ... may he rest in peace ...

Sponsors like Rihs are important for the cycling world to exist ... Andy was special in the sense that he was a cycling enthousiast, not just searching to get some limelight from the stars he backed ... his money didn't just go into crazy salary for some topshots in his team, but also into a modern Velodrome in Grenchen (Switzerland) ...
And I will always be grateful to him, being instrumental in bringing TdF to Berne (2016, was a great stage btw) ...

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
perhaps unknown to the (non-Swiss) cycling world, but Andy Rihs (and his brother) have also for years heavily invested into "my" local professional football team (Young Boys Berne) ... they had a few throwbacks and not every decision proved to be very smart, but the guys never gave up and continued their way ... finally this year it looks like Young Boys are going to win the Swiss Championship but fate is merciless: Andy will have to watch the Championship celebration from happy hunting ground ....

TRENDING THREADS