• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

R.I.P Franco Ballerini

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Ballerini's Spring Classics campaigns will go down as legendary - being part of the all-conquering Mapei set-up that redefined how the races were ridden.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
ballerini-aremberg.jpg

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
He will be missed for sure. I always admired the Italians that loved the pavé, and he was one of my favorites. Best memories were his battles with Gilbert Duclos-Lassalle, Museeuw, and Tchmil. That footage of him rumbling down the last sectors to a solo victory in the '98 Roubaix is truly magnificent.

I started following cycling during the Mapei years. Ballerini was one of my favorite riders. He (and Magnus Bäckstedt) looked like Roubaix winners before they ever won.

Uniting the Italian National Team for the World's or Olympics was no easy feat. Ballerini was a unique individual who managed to lead them to five victories in 7 years.

He will be missed.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Always sad when a 'hardman' passes away at the age of 95.

Just crazy when one dies not even 10 years out of retirement!
At least Franco died racing.

2 Cobbles as a rider, 4 Rainbows and Olympic Gold as a coach = the real deal!

Very sad news about Ballerini.

One of the best cobbled classic riders of his generation. It took him a long time to recover from that narrow defeat by Duclos-Lassale in Paris-Roubaix 93Ballerini was the strongest man in the race and was sure he would win in a two-up sprint. After the finish, he thought he had won and set of on a lap of glory, then they looked at the photo finish....with Duclos winning. I think Ballerini swore then he would never return to Roubaix but fortunately he did and won in 95 & again in 98.

North American fans should also note that he won the World Cup GP Ameriques in Montreal in 1990. Good DS with the Italian National team, such tragice news.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Great rider who then made a great career as manager of the Squadra moulding a winning team out of a bunch of prima donnas. Will also remember his 'Merci Roubaix' vest. Class act.