• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

R.I.P Paul Sherwen

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
R.I.P Paul Sherwen

Cycling broadcaster and former professional rider Paul Sherwen has passed away at 62-years-old. The Lancashire, England native was the voice of the Tour de France for many viewers commentating alongside Phil Ligget for decades most recently on NBC Sports. Sherwen lived in Kampala, Uganda.

that is sad news.. watched for decades since transmissions to s. america were done with stupid local narrators but SAP was available..
his detail descriptions of the region, castles and so on always amazes me. And during the 90s explained to me a lot of tactics and about cyclists..
R I P

Whatever you think of them (and I quite liked PS) the person who was commentating when you start watching a sport is the person whose voice will always resonate the strongest. So he will always be the voice of cycling, the one who talked me through the strategy and explained the intricacies of road cycling. And for that I'll always be grateful. My life long love of the sport started with him, as I'm sure a great many others did. Not a bad way to be remembered.

Yes I'm gutted too and a total shock. RIP Paul and my heartfelt condolences to his family and close friends. I still have old VHS tapes of the 93 Tour which was when I first started watching closely. Paul's voice (along with Phil) is part of my memories of that time in my life.

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
I am shocked and wonder how a fit man like that died? I loved the excitement in his voice especially calling the final sprints. Like thousands of others, his voice and percpective have been synonamous with the TDF since the late 90's in the United States espcially. No small thing went unnoticed. His knowledge of the sport and things like the settings of the races - I don't know how they will replace him. Rest in peace.

I loved him as a child in the LeMond and Indurain era. I used to love the Channel 4 Tour de France show with his commentary. Echoing what others have said above, it was his voice that explained cycling to me.

What a pity - he seemed to be in good shape and I wasn't aware he was sick.

It's hard for me to separate his voice from the Tour and pro racing in general visions in my memories. An institution in the sport, he and Phil Liggett were the perfect pair, complimenting each other in their styles and their obvious shared passion for the sport. Decades of his commentary have just amplified my love for cycling. He and Phil have been the constants since I fell for the sport during Lemond's era. A great loss.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Nobody73 said:
I am shocked and wonder how a fit man like that died? I loved the excitement in his voice especially calling the final sprints. Like thousands of others, his voice and percpective have been synonamous with the TDF since the late 90's in the United States espcially. No small thing went unnoticed. His knowledge of the sport and things like the settings of the races - I don't know how they will replace him. Rest in peace.

There are rumors about his battle with a depression ... therefore, there are also some rumors about a possible suicide. But nothing is confirmed.

TRENDING THREADS